WRC Wales Rally GB 13-16 Sept talk/results spoiler** - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WRC Wales Rally GB 13-16 Sept talk/results spoiler**

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by TronDD View Post
    Remember Duplessis reached out for $15K in addition to his own investment to run Finland. It takes a lot of support to make it happen.

Tim.
    I guess I was curious as to how cheaply it could be done. Assuming you dont bring a big crew and backup cars and all that. BUt if the entry itself is several thousand, thats a big barrier right there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

If you are doing it "cheaply" (ie running the regional event along side the national), then you aren't representing the US in the WRC.
    Jim Perrin - #716, but no more Jeep.... - TeamHazardRally.com

100 oversquare right

Ya i think the order of American Rally Talent is probably
    Ken Block
    Travis Pastrana (when they both played he was more consitant IMO and block showed more speed on occasion and more crashes most occasions)
    ??? Chriss Duplessis
    there's probably some faster drivers but
    Kyle Sarasin appeared to be Very promissing , showing great speed as a teenager , had a meeting with Ford / wrc .. but I don't **believe** ever really got a shot over there (WRCA?) my guess is that while he looked promising, not promising enough (and some anti american bias) to get picked up for a WRCA ride, esp when the current trend is pay to play ... (lack of sponsorship vs Chriss)

I think right now we are in a "self fullfilling prophecy era" International community thinks US drivers are rubbish so americans don't get a chance to develop their skills in the same arena, so due to that our skills are lessor , which reenforces the common thinking.

we just need some really rich guy, to have a kid that at the age of 15 starts to do rally racing , AND also creates a viral youtube video ...

does block or TP have any kids??? that would probably be our biggest hope, that one of those 2 puts a 13 year old in a rally car (on their own property) teaches them, then at 15 starts them off in rally (with a parent as navigator so their liscense is valid) or maybe they have to wait until 16.. i think both nasa and RA require 16 (even though 15 with a permit + parent Is a legal liscensed driver)

?? :P

and damn Peter started off going great, then in typical fashion screws up his tire choices... oh well at least JML is whooping ..
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

into right 2 tightens Weasel 555's Avatar

Friday wrap:

Jari-Matti Latvala has reached an overnight halt of an FIA World Rally Championship round in the lead for the first time since Portugal in late March following an impressive charge on Wales Rally GB today (Friday).

Latvala was slightly hesitant through the opening brace of tests while he found the “feeling” on board his Ford Fiesta RS WRC. But a quartet of stage wins has put him out front by 12.1s heading into Saturday’s seven runs.

Indeed, it’s been a day dominated by the works Ford squad with Petter Solberg moving into an early lead after going quickest on the first two stages. The Norwegian, a four-time winner in Wales, holds second with Citroen’s multiple world champion Sebastien Loeb 9.2s further back after conceding that he couldn’t live with the pace of the Fords on the slippery gravel stages.

“I’ve been trying to push,” said Latvala, who survived clouting a pile of logs on stage two. “The target was trying to make the difference to the Citroens and I’m pleased with the performance. The first two stages I was not at my best but then I started to catch the feeling. I was very pleased because the car was going really well, I’m enjoying it and the car is great to drive. I haven’t had this feeling for a long, long time.”

Loeb, who is on course for his ninth world title and can help Citroen secure its eighth world crown in Wales, carried two spare tyres for each loop in the event of his soft compound tyres losing performance in the drying conditions. Latvala and Solberg both relied on one spare. “I was flat out everywhere but there was no chance to catch the Fords,” said Loeb. But I’m not concerned because I don’t need to win.”

Mads Ostberg is fourth overnight in his Adapta Fiesta having lost precious seconds in the morning when he slowed in the mistaken belief he’d picked up a puncture on stage two. His decision to use an old set of pace notes on stage three also led to a loss of confidence. Mikko Hirvonen is fifth in the second factory Citroen with Ott Tanak sixth despite reporting a powersteering glitch in his M-Sport Fiesta.

Russian Evgeny Novikov is seventh on his first rally with stand-in co-driver Ilka Minor. Thierry Neuville, who has run at the head of the field throughout the day, is eighth with Matthew Wilson - back in the WRC for the first time since Rallye Monte-Carlo in January - holding a solid ninth overall. Martin Prokop is 10th despite spending much of the day without sixth gear on his privateer Fiesta.

Chris Atkinson is 11th for WRC Team MINI Portugal with Sebastien Ogier 12th in his Volkswagen Motorsport-run Skoda Fabia S2000. Nasser Al-Attiyah is 13th for the Qatar World Rally Team with Super 2000 World Rally Championship leader Craig Breen 14th.

Saturday’s competitive action gets underway at 09:02hrs local time consists of two runs through the Crychan, Epynt and Halfway stages, plus the all-asphalt Celtic Manor superspecial, which brings the day’s action to a close at 18:30hrs. The top 14 crews will run in reverse order with Paulo Nobre going first followed by South African Jan Habig.

click: wrc.com/news/friday-wrap

--------------------

Friday SWRC wrap:

Craig Breen heads the FIA Super 2000 World Rally Championship section of Wales Rally GB following a dramatic opening day.

Breen, in a Ford Fiesta S2000, moved in front when Hayden Paddon suffered an ignition glitch on stage two. And the Irishman has remained in the lead ever since, holding an advantage of 1m24.0s over Yazeed Al-Rajhi after six stages.

“I’m quite pleased,” said Breen. “I’ve backed off the pace and I’m just trying to be neat and tidy now so I don’t get any punctures or make mistakes. You have to drive in a different frame of mind when you have a lead like this.”

While Breen could reflect on a solid effort in his Fiesta, Paddon and fellow title rival P-G Andersson both had days to forget. Paddon, in a Skoda Fabia, was eventually able to continue after his stop on stage two - albeit having lost some 12 minutes - but reached the end of the third stage with no second gear. With only a remote service halt available to carry out limited repairs, the New Zealander was unable to make it through stage four.

Works PROTON driver Andersson was 4.4.s slower than Paddon through the first stage but hit trouble on stage two, first picking up a puncture before tearing off a wheel on his Satria-Neo. Like Paddon, Andersson is expected to restart under Rally 2 rules on Saturday.

Al-Rajhi made it through the bulk of the day with damaged front suspension to hold second with Tom Cave third on his debut in the SWRC for PROTON Motorsports. “I was trying to get through without any problems and that’s what we’ve done,” said the Welsh driver.

Maciej Oleksowicz is fourth after losing ground with a puncture this morning. Alastair Fisher was 9.9s behind Breen after two stages but dropped out with broken front suspension on the third stage.

click: wrc.com/news/friday-swrc-wrap

Uh Oh, UH OH, UHH OHHH!!! johnhuebbe's Avatar

Could this be Ford's turn around for the season? A 1 - 2 finish? I can only hope.
    Behold the POWER of cheese! www.huebberally.com
    Organizer: 100aw.org & perryville.100aw.org/ | Rally Cars: 1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    That is worst case. I wonder what best case is? WRC Mexico seemed extremely reasonable if entering the RallyAmerica class. You have to figure that the bigger expense would be renting a rally car over there...
    The Rally America class is really its own thing though. You are not running all the stages, no FIA car needed, pretty sure no FIA licence. Its a lot cheaper, but not a wrc event

Quote Originally Posted by johnhuebbe View Post
    Could this be Ford's turn around for the season? A 1 - 2 finish? I can only hope.
    Maybe Loeb is just getting tired of winning?
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

what Loeb said to autosport....

World Rally champion Sebastien Loeb is ready to make significant changes to his Citroen DS3 WRC in a bid to catch the dominant Fords on day two of Rally GB.

Loeb denied that he would be content to settle for third-place points and said he was frustrated that he could not beat Jari-Matti Latvala and Petter Solberg on Friday. He is 21.3 seconds adrift of leader Latvala.

"I don't know what is the problem," said Loeb. "I feel comfortable with the car and I have confidence, but we just can't match the Fords.

"Is this with the setting of the car, is it the running order, is it because we had two spare wheels when they had one or is it just in some small details?

"We don't know, but we will make some changes tonight, we will work and find out for tomorrow."

Loeb has a 54-point championship lead over team-mate Mikko Hirvonen, so stands a good chance of clinching his ninth WRC title at his home event in France next month.

But he insisted he was not just driving for points in Wales.

"It's not that," Loeb said. "I am pushing hard and really trying. And I will do the same again tomorrow.

"But 21s is a good lead, we will have to see what we can do."

Traditionally the stages around Epynt have been good for Loeb and the champion said he was looking forward to returning to Cychan and Halfway.

"I like these roads and I can push in them," he said, "but also I liked the stages today and today we could not catch the Fords."

click: autosport.com/news/102550

so hopefully it will be some "classic" rally gb competition tomorrow

Saturday

SS7: Flying Ostberg closes on Loeb

Mads Ostberg has closed to within 8.8s of the final podium spot on Wales Rally GB after winning Saturday’s first stage held in slippery and foggy conditions.

Jari-Matti Latvala continues to lead the FIA World Rally Championship qualifier with Ford team-mate Petter Solberg second and Citroen’s Sebastien Loeb third, albeit now under pressure from the flying Ostberg.

“I’m very pleased with that,” said the Adapta Fiesta privateer at the stage finish. “It was a very tricky stage and was getting more and more slippery. I am glad we are in our start position because it can be more slippery for the cars behind.”

Eight-time world champion Loeb was 2.5s slower than Ostberg through the high-speed test and is now 23.4s adrift of leader Latvala in the overall classification. He said: “Again it was very slippery, very difficult and I tried to push but no chance. For sure for us there’s absolutely no grip, I do my best but it’s really tricky. Nothing has changed with the car but we know when it’s very slippery we struggle a bit and the conditions make it really difficult.”

Event leader Latvala reported a “couple of moments” in the fog after he completed the stage 0.4s slower than Ostberg. However, his lead over Solberg has increased to 14.5s after the Norwegian slid off the road on a slippery corner early in the stage.”

Ott Tanak was third fastest with M-Sport team-mate Evgeny Novikov fourth quickest.

more click: wrc.com/news/rallygb ss7

--------------------

SS8: Loeb hits back in Wales

Sebastien Loeb proved he won’t be settling for third position on Wales Rally GB after he closed the gap to second-placed Petter Solberg to 7.9s after claiming his first stage victory on the FIA World Rally Championship, the first time a non-Ford driver has gone fastest on the gravel event.

Out front, Jari-Matti Latvala leads by 15.2s after he nearly stalled at the stage start due to a fault with his Ford Fiesta RS WRC’s starting mechanism. Nevertheless he was second fastest, 0.3s slower than Loeb.

Stage seven winner Mads Ostberg reported better grip in comparison to the previous run, which he reckoned actually helped his rivals. He was 0.6s slower than Loeb and is now 9.4s behind the Frenchman in the battle for third place.

Mikko Hirvonen continues to struggle for pace in his factory Citroen. He was seventh fastest in his DS3 WRC. “I don’t have really anything to say,” he said. “It’s just not going well.”

click: wrc.com/news/rallygb ss8

--------------------

SS9: Latvala storms to stage win

Jari-Matti Latvala has cemented his lead of Wales Rally GB by winning his first stage of day two, Halfway. In doing so, the Ford Fiesta RS WRC driver now leads the FIA World Rally Championship counter by 22.2s heading to the midday service halt in Cardiff.

In the battle for second place Sebastien Loeb was 4.0s faster than Petter Solberg to close to within 3.9s of the Norwegian, despite experiencing significant tyre wear in his Citroen. Solberg, meanwhile, reported making a few small mistakes and suggested his Fiesta might be set-up too low to the ground. He was fourth quickest, 7.0s down on his works Ford team-mate Latvala.

Mads Ostberg reached the stage finish with four badly worn tyres following his exploits behind the wheel of his Adapta Fiesta. “I thought they were going to last all stage so we just tried,” said Ostberg, who was third quickest, 5.8s adrift of stage winner Latvala.

Mikko Hirvonen is now 30.6s behind Ostberg in the overall standings and continues to struggle with handling issues. He said: “I really had to push like hell, I was on the limit all of the time. I was lucky to stay on the road.”

Super 2000 World Rally Championship leader Craig Breen could be in trouble after discovering an oil leak at the stage finish.

click: wrc.com/news/rallygb ss9

Last edited by Weasel 555; 09-15-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Saturday midday wrap:

Jari-Matti Latvala continues to lead Wales Rally GB following a thrilling start to day two with three different drivers claiming stage wins on the FIA World Rally Championship qualifier.

Mads Ostberg set the pace on the fog-hit stage seven in his Adapta-run Fiesta, Citroen’s Sebastien Loeb went quickest on stage eight with Latvala going fastest on stage nine. Loeb’s resurgence means he is now 3.9s behind second-placed Petter Solberg, albeit 26.1s adrift of the flying Latvala.

“We haven’t changed so much but we’ve changed the balance of the car at the rear and it’s going well,” said the factory Ford pilot, chasing his first win in the world championship since Rally Sweden back in February.

Ostberg, whose stage best was his first on gravel since the Acropolis Rally in 2009, remains in the podium fight in fourth with Mikko Hirvonen a frustrated fifth in his Citroen after reporting a lack of grip. Ott Tanak is sixth with M-Sport team-mate Evgeny Novikov seventh after reporting a lack of confidence. Thierry Neuville is eighth despite a build up of mud in his Citroen DS3 WRC. Matthew Wilson and Martin Prokop complete the top 10 in their Fiestas.

Chris Atkinson is 11th for WRC Team MINI Portugal with Sebastien Ogier 12th in his Volkswagen Motorsport Skoda Fabia S2000. Team-mate Kevin Abbring was in 14th when he reportedly hit a rock and retired on stage nine.

Behind 13th-placed Nasser Al-Attiyah, Craig Breen’s Super 2000 World Rally Championship lead could be in doubt after he discovered an oil leak at the finish of stage nine. Saudi Yazeed Al-Rajhi could be poised to take advantage, despite a persistent damper problem. Young Welsh driver Tom Cave is currently third in the lead PROTON Satria-Neo. P-G Andersson, Alastair Fisher and Hayden Paddon all restarted under Rally 2 rules after they all retired on Friday.

Jan Habig was an early casualty, going off the road on today’s first stage in his M-Sport Fiesta and getting stuck.

click: wrc.com/news/saturday-midday-wrap