WRC Wales Rally GB 13-16 Sept talk/results spoiler**
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC Wales Rally GB 13-16 Sept talk/results spoiler**

into right 2 tightens Weasel 555's Avatar

Cool WRC Wales Rally GB 13-16 Sept talk/results spoiler**

Next: Round 10 Wales RallyGB 13-16 Sep

Britain’s World Rally Championship counter has been a qualifying round of the series every year since the WRC was established in 1973. This year’s event will mark a move away from its end-of-term slot to a mid-September date, which it last occupied in 2005.

Official Website: walesrallygb.com/

Listen Live: worldrallyradio.com/

Watch Speed TV(USA): speedtv.com//filter/program/wrc

--------------------

Fastest Rally GB ever in store

Next week's Wales Rally GB, round 10 of the FIA World Rally Championship, could be the fastest in the event's 80-year history.

That’s according to WRC TV’s Julian Porter and photographer Colin McMaster of the respected McKlein agency, whose images regularly appear on WRC.com.

Earlier this week they conducted a reconnaissance of the entire three-day route in preparation for next week’s gravel contest and were full of praise for the work carried out by the event organisers and the Forestry Commission to ensure the stages will be in peak condition when the WRC heads to Wales from 14-16 September.

Porter, a former national level rally driver, said the stages were immaculate and urged fans yet to buy tickets to watch the action to do so in order to witness what he said would be a high-speed spectacle.

“The stages are beautiful, so smooth and so super fast,” said Porter. “If fans are in any doubt whether they should come then all I can say is now is the time because the stages are going to be fantastic, the potential of mud is eliminated and the weather should be amazing too.”

Porter, who has worked in the WRC in a reporting capacity for several years, singled out the Port Talbot stage on the final day of the rally as being potentially decisive to the outcome of the event.

“It’s everything you’d want as a driver, with flat curves, crests and kinks and it’s really going to be a wake-up call on the final day,” said Porter. “The bravest will be the quickest in there, which could be the same as on the Dyfnant stage on Friday morning where I can see some drivers getting caught out.”

McMaster, who has only missed one Rally GB since 1992 and captured the image above this week, said: “I’ve never seen the stages in such a good condition. They are beautifully graded and nicely compacted. The organisers have far exceeded the brief when it comes to the spectator areas too - they’ve chopped down trees and prepared nice platform areas to offer great viewing.”

click: wrc.com/news/17396

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Loeb beats the rain to set Qualifying pace

Sebastien Loeb will be the first driver to select his road position for Wales Rally GB's opening stages on Friday after he topped a dramatic Qualifying Stage in his Citroen DS3 WRC this afternoon.

Loeb, who is chasing his ninth FIA World Rally Championship drivers’ title and Citroen’s eighth makes’ award this season, took 2m22.260s to complete the 3.91-kilometre stage at the Walters Arena complex north of the event base in Cardiff.

“It was a good run,” said the French ace and current WRC title leader. “I made one or two small mistakes but I am happy, it was not raining for me."

But while Loeb has gained an early advantage in his bid for his fourth Rally GB triumph, rival Petter Solberg was left frustrated as it began to rain just as he was about to launch his Ford Fiesta RS WRC from the stage start.

“It’s unbelievable,” he said after losing out to Loeb by 0.051s. “The rain tap is turned on again at the start line [just like in Germany]. I didn’t know what the grip would be like and I was braking too early for some of the corners. It’s frustrating but I still have one aim and that is to win.”

With drivers picking their road position at the ceremonial start in Llandudno on Thursday evening in order of fastest to slowest, Solberg will select his place on the road after Loeb.

Mikko Hirvonen, in the second works Citroen, was third quickest with Citroen Junior Thierry Neuville - making his Rally GB debut - fourth fastest, +0.878s down on Loeb. Factory Ford pilot and last year’s winner Jari-Matti Latvala was fifth quickest, 1.133s slower than Loeb with Ford privateer Mads Ostberg completing the top six.

Matthew Wilson, contesting a Qualifying Stage for the first time in his career, was ninth fastest with Chris Atkinson the leading MINI John Cooper Works WRC driver in 11th place. The Australian reported sliding wide at one corner but was otherwise satisfied with his efforts.

Local children and government representatives will join each crew when they take to the start podium to choose their road position in Llandudno, a popular seaside resort in the north of Wales, from 19:00hrs local time on Thursday 13 September.

Prior to the starting ceremony, crews will take part in an autograph signing session in Llandudno from 17:30hrs. A display of iconic cars from the 80-year history of the event will also be on display on the town’s promenade. Vehicles set to feature include Colin McRae’s 2001 Ford Focus WRC.

The first special stage, Dyfnant 1, goes live at 08:13hrs local time on Friday.

1. S Loeb Citroen........................2:22.260
    2. P Solberg FORD.........................+0.051
    3. M Hirvonen Citroen.................... +0.872
    4. T Neuville Citroen...................... +0.878
    5. JM Latvala FORD.........................+1.133
    6. M Ostberg FORD.........................+1.271
    7. N Al Attiyah Citroen.....................+1.589

click: wrc.com/news/loeb-set-qualifying-pace/

Last edited by Weasel 555; 09-13-2012 at 03:58 PM.

100 oversquare right

Well the Championship almost mathmatically impossible for Petter, and in reality impossible for Peter, I think he will do awesome this rally, probably his first OA of the season (now that it won't help his championship bid) , Loeb only needs 12 points to secure his (10th?) championship... yes technically Hirvonen could pass him up.. but we all know Citreon would never allow that to happen...

So I would fully expect Loeb to drive at a 'safe' pace, and we will likely see Mikko pushing hard (to push Petter into maybe making a mistake and handing the championship to Loeb)

So we will probably "truely" see a Mikko versus Petter battle at this one... of course with 4 events to earn 11 points... maybe Loeb will go for the OA as usual ... as loeb could go for the OA with out any fear that a DNF will hurt his title chances...

funny how geat situations for drivers make horrible situations for the fans...
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

50 caution yump

Hmm, what have we got to do to get some Americans in WRC? No Block or Duplessis in this rally? Or what about some North Americans like Higgins or L'estage?

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say that most north americans that are rallying can barely afford to do what they are doing.
    Jim Perrin - #716, but no more Jeep.... - TeamHazardRally.com

100 oversquare right

You'd have to win the lotto, and burn through your winnings to sponsor a US driver.

Not really sure why TP never gave it a go ... maybe some combination of hating losing, and having to spend his own money, versus making money doing other things.. and the Novelty of rally probably has worn off for him .... ?
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

50 caution yump

Whats the entry fee like for a wrc event? I see one Subaru at least. Wouldnt Subaru be interested in sponsoring someone like Higgins in WRC?

Well, according to the entry form for RallyGB, worst case looks like $9868USD.
    Jim Perrin - #716, but no more Jeep.... - TeamHazardRally.com

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Hmm, what have we got to do to get some Americans in WRC? No Block or Duplessis in this rally? Or what about some North Americans like Higgins or L'estage?

Higgins wouldn't really fall under the category of North Americans.

Belgian Rally GB debutant Thierry Neuville will lead the field away when Britain's round of the World Rally Championship commences from Llandudno on Friday morning.

Neuville's fellow Citroen DS3 WRC driver Sebastien Loeb was the first to make his choice, courtesy of his fastest time in qualifying. The defending world champion starts third.

Neuville admitted his job could be tough if the weather remains dry overnight.

"I hope there will be a lot of rain tonight, if not it will be difficult for me," he said. "It's a challenge but we will manage. My aim is to finish the rally without making a mistake."

Loeb said: "This was a team decision. It was based on the weather information we have. We heard maybe it can be quite humid in the morning and third on the road is a good place.

"Also, if it is dry, maybe it's not best to be first on the road in the afternoon. I didn't know what Mikko [Hirvonen] and Thierry would be doing - I just wanted to be third."

Hirvonen will be running second, making it a Citroen one-two-three through the mid-Wales stages.

Petter Solberg is the first Ford in fourth, with his team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala right behind him in fifth place on the road.

click: autosport.com/news/102509