Unique Rally Cars and why we don't see more of them
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unique Rally Cars and why we don't see more of them

Default Unique Rally Cars and why we don't see more of them

As a spectator, I think it gets a little boring to see everyone driving a Subaru or an EVO. This is really relevant when you see the top ones go by at Speed, then you see the rest of them just doing their best.

I would like to see more unique cars out there, racing and you end up cheering for the underdog who is trying his best.

We can discuss any point we want.

I wanted to start with my wonder of why no one has tried to create a new style Celica Rally car (year 2000+). Sure, its only a FWD, but should it not be able to race with some VW Golfs, Fiestas, SRT4 Neons, etc etc etc?

Are they just too fragile to even bother? I'd give it a go someday if it makes sense!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Uh Oh, UH OH, UHH OHHH!!! johnhuebbe's Avatar

People pick cars that are cheap, easy to build/modify, have a history of rally (meaning parts already developed, tested, and for sale), have a familiarity with, or have a love for a particular car. Or, a combination of those.

I love seeing a lot of different cars rally, since you stand out in a sea of Subarus, but at the same time, I'd love to not mess with my car constantly and just have stuff work.
    Behold the POWER of cheese! www.huebberally.com
    Organizer: 100aw.org & perryville.100aw.org/ | Rally Cars: 1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

Says the man who rallies a car older than himself.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 oversquare right

IMHO, one of the most important systems on a rally car is the suspension. If it can't be made to work properly for the conditions, you'll either bend or break (and replace) it frequently. Or be driving very slowly. Odds are if you pick one of these cars to prep, you'll be amoung the people who've built a car, entered one or two events, then never we hear from them again. So it depends on your objective and bank account.

I think it we be awesome to run a really unique car and to see more of them out there. But yeah, you need to be able to get parts. I bought a Subaru.

Not that I am really sad to have a Subaru, any car that gets me out there... Wouldn't be my first pick if I could race anything, though.

Tim.

'98 VW Jetta TDI - RallyX/DD
    '96 Subaru Impreza - Rally car

Dramamine is for DramaQueens Morison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuyB View Post
    I wanted to start with my wonder of why no one has tried to create a new style Celica Rally car (year 2000+).

New and different cars mean doing a LOT of development and custom fabrication. With Subarus and Mitsubishi there are global resources of knowledge and parts that are proven to work. (Similar for VW in the 2wd cars)

The celica above did fine, after a lot of development, but certainly didn't do anything extraordinary. (It was a P3 car, not Gr2)

(the 'proof' watermark is from the photog's site, not an ignorant statment of 'proof' that the car exists )
    Last edited by Morison; 08-21-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

50 caution yump

I have a 95 celica, converted to AWD. If I had to do it over again i would just buy a subaru. For one it's too small for me since I'm tall. Parts availability is more difficult...

There's a reason people run similar cars and not just because it's a fad.

Big Jump 800

Gosh! You all can't imagine the number of phone calls Bob, Mike, and I have fielded over the years from people asking if their "unique name here" would be legal for rally. I'd say the vast majority of those are being considered because they're sitting in someone's driveway. Almost none of them are ever built. Usually because the development would be too difficult and expensive.
    JBN

Zero Cents!

Quote Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
    I have a 95 celica, converted to AWD. If I had to do it over again i would just buy a subaru. For one it's too small for me since I'm tall. Parts availability is more difficult...

There's a reason people run similar cars and not just because it's a fad.
    Didn't you just reshell said Celica? Not that I'm complaining, it'll be good to see you back out on stage.

The other, less spoken rule, is run something where there are parts in the parking lot. RWV required the acquisition of an overflow tank cap from a workers car, and the blatant stealing of a transmission mount from one of the guys who was on our crew. Having a popular car will make this easier, and probably means you'll be able to scrounge up crew who know your car as well.
    Last edited by X Mon™; 08-21-2012 at 10:30 AM.

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by X Mon™ View Post
    Didn't you just reshell said Celica? Not that I'm complaining, it'll be good to see you back out on stage.

The other, less spoken rule, is run something where there are parts in the parking lot. RWV required the acquisition of an overflow tank cap from a workers car, and the blatant stealing of a transmission mount from one of the guys who was on our crew. Having a popular car will make this easier, and probably means you'll be able to scrounge up crew who know your car as well.

Well... kinda. I bought a donor car, but the cage was fine, had to chop off the roof rear quarters, front fender, hood bumper etc.

However for what I paid for the donor car, after the engine and other misc. parts i've sold from it, and the money ill get from the shell at the scrap yard, i'll be down only $200.

If the cage was bent and i had to redo it, I was probably done with the car.