Quick tube diameter question for non-homolgated cage

Thread: Quick tube diameter question for non-homolgated cage

Default Quick tube diameter question for non-homolgated cage

I'm looking at a car that Joey Kale built a cage for about 2 years ago, car was never log booked. Everything looks top-notch, fitment, weld quality etc., the only thing I'm concerned about is that the X inside the main hoop is 1.5", I'm confident that diameter is ok per a cage built to FIA specs, I just want to be 100% sure before I make this fella an offer.
    To be clear, I'm not questioning whether Kale built the car properly, just that the specs haven't changed since he did. Main hoop, half lateral, back stay etc. are 1.75, no worries there.
    Thanks.
    Dan
    "This ain't asphalt, son, this is dirt, you don't have three-wheel brakes, so you got to pitch it hard, break it loose and then just drive it with the throttle. Give it too much, you'll be outta the dirt and into the tulips; I'll put it simple, if you goin' hard enough left, you'll find yourself turnin' right. -Doc Hudson

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

don't cut

Cage specs are fine as you stated. 1.5 is allowed for the X.

I wish there was somewhere online that one could find this info.

Hmm.....

http://www.rally-america.com/info/2008_Rollcage.pdf

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 oversquare right bentmettle's Avatar

FWIW, the back stays aren't even required to be 1.75" tubing.
    Last edited by bentmettle; 07-11-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heymagic View Post
    Cage specs are fine as you stated. 1.5 is allowed for the X.
    Thanks!

I was pretty sure that it would be okay, but it is nice to have a tech inspector weigh in. After pouring through the FIA specs it was not readily apparent and I know there have been some discussions on the diameter of tubes that were not the main hoop/half laterals, so it is nice to be sure.

SeanP, thanks for the link, I remember seeing that diagram back when I built the last cage for a RA car, but to be honest, I went straight to the written rules for my research, which of course turns one to the FIA specs on cages for specifics, which brought me back to the 5% uncertainty that lead to my post.
    Last edited by Abington Rally; 07-11-2012 at 01:43 AM.
    Dan
    "This ain't asphalt, son, this is dirt, you don't have three-wheel brakes, so you got to pitch it hard, break it loose and then just drive it with the throttle. Give it too much, you'll be outta the dirt and into the tulips; I'll put it simple, if you goin' hard enough left, you'll find yourself turnin' right. -Doc Hudson

Yeah, for RA it's not entirely straightforward. They use FIA for the specs of the cage, but have a separate entry in the rulebook to allow for DOM tubing (which is easily available in the US). The chart in the RA rulebook specifies the thickness and diameter required for DOM tubing.

I thought you were downsizing the collection, man. Not enough going on around the house?

Tim.

'98 VW Jetta TDI - RallyX/DD
    '96 Subaru Impreza - Rally car