Pounding stakes - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pounding stakes

straight at T

Drilling/Auger are fine if there aren't any buried rocks. Otherwise hammering in a steel rod/rebar is more effective and less dangerous.

Adrian

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

For what it is worth, at some of our events, you just can't get enough depth for the stake to stay up reliably, especially if there is wind and caution tape involved. In some of those cases, we take a stake driving it through a traffic cone, and then into the ground. Gives it a little extra stability. It's not always practical, but it does work well in some instances if you have cones at your disposal.

pressing on tirelessly

Ok, I'll look into getting an auger like the one Alex suggested. I'll have to play with it to see how well it works with a battery-powered drill and how many holes it'll will do before the battery dies. If it's not very many, maybe I'll just try welding on a T-handle or something.

I like the cone idea too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

200 square left

Here's what we used at the Spectator locations at LSPR. http://www.tractorsupply.com/zareba-...-of-10-3605469
    They are metal, you just step on them and they go into the ground. There are other options out there, look for fence posts.
    At the Gravel Pit it turned 2 hours of pounding wooden stakes into a 15 minute job.
    It's probably not a good idea to use metal stakes where a car is likely to hit it, at least the wood will break.

Kevin D.

100 oversquare right

unfortunately for hoche, cars have been to known to crash both where they are expected to... AND where they are not ... ... hehehe Wooden stakes for the win!
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

In the past we have used post hole drivers and a steel fence post (with the ears cut off) to drive a pilot hole. Worked pretty slick.

Out here at STPR we use liberal doses of tent peg grease. Ask any former Boy Scout about "tent peg grease", invaluable stuff.

Sorry, for the nonsense post; we have similar issues here in our thin soils and rocky terrain. The natural gas industry here has been using tens of thousands of 2" x 2" x 4' HARDWOOD stakes; I don't want to think about the cost for those. I have noted some interesting possibilities to pass on to our stage crews, thanks everyone.
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.