Event organisers threaten to walk away from the World Rally Championship - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Event organisers threaten to walk away from the World Rally Championship

into right 2 tightens Weasel 555's Avatar

World Rally timing firm Stage One Technology keen to resolve row between rallies and FIA

World Rally Championship timing and tracking chief Simon de Banke is ready to help broker a deal between the events and the FIA in an attempt to avoid a developing crisis between the two parties.

There is disquiet among rally organisers after the FIA presented a single-year contract for 2013, and requested an extra 100,000 euro per event for the timing, tracking and television production. In previous years, the timing and tracking was provided for free by the promoter in return for the individual events handing over their television rights. Former promoter North One Sport also paid each event 25,000 euro.

The timing and tracking in the WRC is provided by Stage One Technology and the firm's managing director de Banke is concerned at the rift between the rallies and the sport's governing body.

"The FIA's predicament is entirely understandable," said de Banke. "The money has to come from somewhere. The way forward now is to find a solution together which lessens the burden on the events. For our part, we're happy to consider stepping in to work something out."

He added: "We've been timing and safety-tracking the WRC for over 10 years, and we're all currently facing some challenging times. The FIA needs support this year, as do the events. Everyone, including us, has to compromise and stick together."

Despite these troubled times for the WRC, de Banke remains optimistic about the future.

"The World Rally Championship is at the foot of one of its most exciting periods in its history," he said. "We all need to remain pragmatic and work through these issues as a group.

"We'll be speaking with the events and FIA to establish the best way for us to help. If that means some investment from us in the short-term, then I certainly wouldn't rule that out."

click: autosport.com/news/100032

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    I just ASSumed it was a poorly translated article from Korea. Wouldn't be the first time. They also said s2000 type deal, not WRC world rally car.
    What would the Veloster Millen is racing fall under? Why an i20 vs the Veloster?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    What would the Veloster Millen is racing fall under? Why an i20 vs the Veloster?
    Presumably because it is the wrong type of car. Have any of the S1600/S2000/WRC cars been made from "sporty" cars? The i20 looks to be our Accent, so that makes sense as to why they chose it.
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Isn't the GRC veloster basically just the wrc accent with veloster shell?

eating dust taking photos KevinG5Hahn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isop View Post
    Isn't the GRC veloster basically just the wrc accent with veloster shell?

I had heard inferences of a Skoda being the basis for the drive train after the Accent WRC stuff wore faster and they built the second car...
    Kevin Hahn
    KevinHahnPhotography.com
    "altitude just means not lifting..."

200 square left

Wow, this is an amazing turn of events for the WRC coupled with their loss of the Nokia title sponsor it is looking bleak for rally at its highest level.

Also, interesting is that a thread about this on the main North American rally source is mostly discussing Hyundai maybe possibly making a rally car that for some odd rational would be based on a Volkswagen.

into right 2 tightens Weasel 555's Avatar

World Rally Championship rounds fail to sign FIA contract over 2013

None of the events involved in the 2013 World Rally Championship have signed the FIA's proposed agreement for next year's series, according to AUTOSPORT's sources.

The FIA issued the five-page contract on May 28 and stipulated the agreement had to be signed and returned by close of business on Friday June 8. Failure to do so would result in the event not being included on the 2013 calendar.

The rallies involved in the series had strongly rejected the proposal due to the implementation of a 80,000 fee for the production and distribution of television and the use of vital safety tracking and timing systems.

A source inside one of the rallies offered a slot for 2013 said: "We want to talk about this contract. Some events are in a better [place] than others of us, but we still feel there is discussions needed here."

Sources that confirmed senior FIA staff - believed to be WRC Commission president Jarmo Mahonen and WRC manager Michele Mouton - had been in touch with the rallies in an effort to get the events to sign.

"We want to talk about this," said the source. "As the letter [FFSA letter sent to the FIA to outline issues with the contract] stated, we haven't had time to talk about this."

The FIA has made no comment on the passing of Friday's deadline.

The matter is likely to be discussed at next Friday's World Motor Sport Council meeting.

click: autosport.com/news/100269

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

This is certainly is a messy problem. It definitely falls into that class of "complicated" where there won't be a simple solution.

Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Frick View Post
    Also, interesting is that a thread about this on the main North American rally source is mostly discussing Hyundai maybe possibly making a rally car that for some odd rational would be based on a Volkswagen.
    What should the discussion entail? The FIA is being a bunch of jerks (status quo?) and trying to have everything their way. Nothing remotely newsworthy about that! A manufacturer thinking about coming back to the WRC, even amid all of this turmoil? Newsworthy.

I'm curious if the WRC will implode. Not something I look forward to, but maybe more needs to be done to cut back a bit? Then again, F1 seems to be doing alright, same with NASCAR, so I don't see why the WRC should be suffering.
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

100 oversquare right

WRC Dies and the IRC can take off?

all of the rally organizers should pen a new contract, send it to the FIA (give them 1 week to sign) and say "if you want your series to have events next year, sign here"

Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....