Greetings from North Dakota

Thread: Greetings from North Dakota

100 K left 2

Default Greetings from North Dakota

Believe it or not, but North Dakota is a state and people do live here. I'm not living here by choice (Air Force), but I digress. I've been watching WRC off and on since the mid 90s. Watching McRae and Loeb was amazing. That little Impreza really intrigued me.

I got away from rally and got into autocross and watching road racing for a number of years. Mainly during my Honda days. I've owned and autocrossed 2 Civic Si's, a Fit and lastly my S2000. I sold my S2000 after my wife convinced me it made no sense and she couldn't see me enjoying it. It was always stored in the winter. She said I was a Subaru/rally guy. I've always wanted one, but could never afford an STi.

As of last October I'm an STi owner. Since then I've gotten back into rally. I've been trying to find some local TSDs to cut my teeth in the sport. Work and this deployment I'm on has gotten in the way. I'm trying to generate some buzz with rallycross in our region (Badlands SCCA).

My ultimate goal is to participate in a stage rally at some point and finish. I think I'm going to focus on being a co-driver since I'm a bit OCD with details. Plus, I don't have the funds right now to be a driver/car owner. I didn't think I would type this much, but there it is.

Hello, I'm Carl.

ETA: I forgot to add my first rally was this year at 100 AW as a marshal. Thanks to all of you that covered me in dust and pelted me with rocks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

your other left, you idiot

Hi Carl.......

You are in good company. Uncle Joe (Andreini) also served in the Air Force in North Dakota (he used to tell us the state tree was the telephone pole and the state bird was the mosquito).

If you made it to 100AW, you must have already read the stickies.

You have the belly button car.

You are in the service, so you know how to hurry up and wait and RTFM.

SO, welcome to the looney bin. See you out there.

press on,
    Last edited by jimmy; 04-27-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

100 K left 2

Uncle Joe was telling the truth about North Dakota. There was a lot of hurry up and wait on the stages. Stage 8 was great, though. I was posted at the first water splash at an older gentlemen's home. His wife fed me banana bread and had hot coffee. I was offered some land for sale, too. Come to think of it the locals on stage 14 fed me, too. I had a great first experience.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

into right 2 tightens

Why not Minot? Freezin’s the reason!

Gotta love Buffs though. My first day in Wichita they were out playing. I'd never seen one before, and 4 of them fly right over my parking lot at what I'd swear to Jesus was 12 feet off the ground. seemed like it took 30 seconds for the shadow to clear... and the sound, rolling thunder is an understatement. I nearly climbed under my truck. Hell they don't need bombs, the physcological warfare value of cicling a herd of them overhead would cause me to give up.

Air force has taken all our good planes, 52's and B ONES, Left use with tankers. NKAWTG...N!
    Tony
    KC0VSL
    Oskar-the Citation.

"It ain't what a man Don't know that hurts Him, Near as much as what he Knows that just ain't so."
    -Mark Twain

carl,

Crap, typed a nice long post and lost it somehow....sonofa...

anyway, I'm in Bismarck, have a stage-rally car and would love to chat about upcoming stuff.

There's not much going for rally stuff through badlands. It can be changed but requires a bit of heavy lifting, so to speak.

Stage rally stuff is run by Rally-America mostly in Minnesota. Check out Rally-America's schedule for Central Regionals to get an idea.

Bob LaFavor

100 K left 2

A stage car in ND? You don't say. I've looking at changing the rallycross situation. I don't think stage rally will ever happen in ND. I was planning on attending all the Central Region rallyes, but I'm deployed for the summer again. Once I get back I'll be attending every TSD I can, so I can get co-driving down.

Hopefully you'll deploy somehwere you still get to a rally. It sounds like you're starting out right by volunteering, best way to learn the ropes. I've done it the hard way and am still making mistakes for it.

My stage car is a ratty old Mustang...but it's what I set out to do when we started building it. I'll have to post a more recent photo now that we are setled again.

On the rallycross topic, I think there is a viable location in Mandan but I haven't tracked down the land owners to find out it's actually feasible.

Bob L.

100 K left 2

Do you have that location handy? I need to do some leg work up in Minot. An old coworker has a brand new bobcat that could be put to use.

Carl,

here's the one I like: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dakota...04632&t=h&z=17

In particular, this is in Mandan, at the Dakota Speedway. They have a big empty lot and field to the northwest that might be ideal. The location is good, access is excellent, space is very good and I think the owners might be open to holding an event on a Sunday if there isn't anything already going on. Dust could be an issue if it drifts over to Memorial Highway though....
    I have an on-the-ground pic around here somewhere...

http://bis.midco.net/racingboy/rally/DakSway.jpg

That's just the gravel lot, not including the field. I think if it were successful, more could be done with the facility too.

Bob L

100 K left 2

That location looks great. Minot's fairground has a good sized gravel parking lot, but I've heard it's difficult just to use the ashpalt parking lot for autocross.