WRC Argentina Apr 27-29 talk/results spoiler** - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WRC Argentina Apr 27-29 talk/results spoiler**

into right 2 tightens Weasel 555's Avatar

SS17: Double blow for MINI

Stage data: SS17, Mina Clavero/Giulio Cesare II (17.74 kilometres)

There was a double blow for WRC Team MINI Portugal when both of its John Cooper Works WRCs failed to complete stage 17 of Philips Rally Argentina.

Paulo Nobre stopped at the nine-kilometre mark with reports that he’d taken a wheel off his car. Team-mate Armindo Araujo went two kilometres further before broken steering led to his exit.

Factory Ford driver Petter Solberg was fastest for the fourth stage in succession despite fearing his decision to run on used soft compound tyres has cost him a shot at making up more ground in the overall classification.

“I thought it would be more wet,” said the Norwegian. “My tyres are very worn now, it’s going to be hard to push. It doesn’t look like we have the tyres for the Power Stage but I’ll do my best.”

With Solberg struggling, Thierry Neuville has all but cemented his sixth position. The Citroen driver said: “We’re watching the times of Petter but if we make no mistake then it will be impossible for him to catch us.”

Ott Tanak, who is running at the head of the field, reported the stage surface being rougher than on the first run through. “It’s difficult to focus your eyes because it is quite bumpy,” said the Estonian.

Rally leader Sebastien Loeb said the stage was “really horrible” due to the rough conditions. Despite his cautious approach he has edged 5.6s clear of Citroen team-mate Mikko Hirvonen.

click: wrc.com/news/ss17

---------------------

SS18: Solberg demotes Ogier

Stage data: SS18, El Condor/Casilla Negra (11.16 kilometres)

Petter Solberg’s fears that he had climbed as high as possible on Philips Rally Argentina have proved unfounded after he moved ahead of Sebastien Ogier in the overall classification on round five of the FIA World Rally Championship powered by Nokia.

Solberg, who was fastest through the stage in his Ford Fiesta RS WRC, is up to seventh position with Ogier unable to fend off the rapid Norwegian in his Super 2000-specification Skoda Fabia.

Out front Sebastien Loeb is one stage away from winning in South America for a seventh time after he safely completed the penultimate test in his Citroen DS3 WRC. Loeb was second fastest to grow his advantage over team-mate Mikko Hirvonen is 15.8s.

Mads Ostberg set the third fastest time in his Adapta Fiesta. Dani Sordo was next up for the factory Ford team with Thierry Neuville fifth quickest and Evgeny Novikov setting the sixth best time.

click: wrc.com/news/ss18

---------------------

SS19: Solberg takes Power Stage win

Stage data: SS19, Power Stage Amarok Copina (4.15 kilometres)

Petter Solberg has won the Power Stage on Philips Rally Argentina to secure three world championship bonus points.

Driving a Ford Fiesta RS WRC, Solberg completed the 4.15-kilometre test, which ran on the final section of the famous El Condor stage, 1.1s faster than Mikko Hirvonen, who scored two bonus points in his Citroen DS3 WRC.

Nasser Al-Attiyah clinched the final bonus point with the third quickest time in his Qatar World Rally Team Citroen, one place ahead of Sebastien Loeb, who has won round five of the FIA World Rally Championship powered by Nokia.

But there was despair for Ford stand-in Dani Sordo who was on course for a podium finish but is understood to have dropped out with a suspected broken alternator belt.

Crews are now heading to the finish in Villa Carlos Paz with the first car due to cross the finishing ramp at 16:34hrs local time.

click: wrc.com/news/ss19

Last edited by Weasel 555; 04-29-2012 at 12:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

into right 2 tightens Weasel 555's Avatar

Sunday wrap:

Loeb in seventh heaven

Sebastien Loeb has made it seven wins in succession on Philips Rally Argentina to extend his lead at the top of the FIA World Rally Championship powered by Nokia.

Co-driven by Daniel Elena, the 38-year-old Frenchman defeated Citroen Total team-mate Mikko Hirvonen in a formation finish.

Stand-in Ford driver Dani Sordo was set for the final podium spot but hit trouble on the very last run, the Power Stage Amarok Copina, with a suspected broken alternator belt on his Fiesta. The Spaniard’s misfortune handed third position to Mads Ostberg of the Adapta World Rally Team.

In the battle for Production Car World Rally Championship honours, Benito Guerra took victory ahead of Peruvian Nicolas Fuchs and Ukrainian Valeriy Gorban. Guerra now heads the PWRC drivers’ standings.

Loeb’s success out front was his third in the WRC this season following wins in Monte-Carlo and Mexico, and his 70th at world level. It came after the longest world championship rally in recent seasons with crews negotiating a taxing 502.73 competitive route on spectacular gravel roads around Villa Carlos Paz near Cordoba.

“Another victory here in Argentina it’s incredible for me and especially after Portugal it was important for the team to react like this,” said Loeb, whose Citroen DS3 WRC ran on Michelin tyres. “It has been a great rally here with Mikko finishing second.”

With Hirvonen under orders to hold position, Loeb spent Sunday’s closing six stages preserving his tyres and his advantage out front, while Hirvonen was happy to be back on the podium following his exclusion from Vodafone Rally de Portugal.

“It’s been a good rally and I really love the long distance,” said Hirvonen. “They are such fantastic stages here.”

Behind the ultra-consisent Mads Ostberg, who overcame handling issues during the final day, Martin Prokop took a career-best fourth with Thierry Neuville also securing a personal best for the Citroen Junior World Rally Team. Prokop’s final placing was the best result so far in the WRC for the DMACK tyre firm.

Andreas Mikkelsen’s bid for a top-six finished ended when his Skoda suffered a front-right suspension failure on stage 15. He had been locked in a close battle with Volkswagen Motorsport team-mate Sebastien Ogier at the time. Ogier finished seventh behind the recovering Petter Solberg with Evgeny Novikov eighth.

Ford driver Solberg made amends for his exit on Friday’s fourth stage with a broken steering arm by winning the event-closing Power Stage, his sixth fastest time of day three. Although it did little to cheer the dejected Ford team following Sordo’s late exit on his one-off drive in place of the injured Jari-Matti Latvala, by reaching the finish Solberg has extended Ford’s point-scoring run to 150 rallies.

Nasser Al-Attiyah restarted under Rally 2 rules and finished in ninth position in his Qatar World Rally Team Citroen, securing the final Power Stage point in the process.

Paulo Nobre also returned on Sunday following his exit on Saturday morning but failed to get through stage 17, which also spelt the end of fellow WRC Team MINI Portugal driver Armindo Araujo’s challenge with broken steering.

Ott Tanak, who ran first on the road for the final two days, finished 10th with PWRC winner Guerra coming home 11th in his Mitsubishi Lancer. Ex-Formula One racer Eliseo Salazar rounded out his WRC debut by reaching the finish in a fine 12th position at the wheel of a Prodrive-run MINI.

click: wrc.com/news/sunday-wrap

-------------------------------

Sunday PWRC wrap: Double joy for Guerra

Benito Guerra has moved into the lead of the Production Car World Rally Championship drivers' standings with his second victory of the season on Philips Rally Argentina.

The Mexican set out with the intention of avoiding taking any big risks in his Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X. While he and co-driver Borja Rozada were not always the fastest combination, their consistency ensured maximum points in the showroom division.

“I’m really, really happy with my second win and my first victory outside of Mexico,” said Guerra. “There were several times when I felt I needed to race to be faster but not in Argentina. I had to be very calm to keep the car in one piece for the long, long days. I did this and now with two wins I am the leader of the championship and can dream of being world champion.”

Overnight leader Nicolas Fuchs fell to second following a torrid run through Sunday’s opening 65.74-kilometre test when his Lancer was struck down by turbo, brake and clutch problems, the latter causing trouble during the closing stages as well.

“I tried to repair the car but I don’t know what happened,” said the Peruvian, who secured the runner-up spot.

Valeriy Gorban finished third for the Mentos Ascania Racing team despite fears of a gearbox leak on the final morning.

click: wrc.com/news/sunday-pwrc-wrap

--------------------------------

Next: Round 6 WRC Acropolis (Greece) 25 - 27 May

Searing ambient temperatures, rocky, undulating roads and dust combine to make the Acropolis Rally one of the most taxing on the World Rally Championship calendar with car and driver subjected to a particularly stern test.

Greece returned to the WRC schedule in 2011 after missing out in 2010 when its absence was keenly felt, not just by the fans that descend on the event in great number, but also by the drivers. The Acropolis is one of the most iconic events in the sport and winning it earns significant kudos.

Official Website: acropolisrally.gr/EN/

Last edited by Weasel 555; 04-29-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isop View Post
    Sordo got hosed....that really blows.....

WTF is up with ford, man? Seriously......well, at least petter got top six and the PS. Ogier and Mikkelsen fight was pretty good for a while, too.

See you in greece, and LETS GO DUPLESSIS!!!

I hate Sordo so there is a small silver lining for me. But man a broken alternator belt? The stupidest things seem to always break on the Fords and when they don't the drivers bin the cars anyways.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

So... the same thing that has happened the past 7 years Loeb has been the winnar of everything happened again.

Ford was handed the chance to get a well built up lead after the last event, and tossed it away. So typical They cock up every opportunity ever given to them to have a fighting chance at beating Loeb.
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    So... the same thing that has happened the past 7 years Loeb has been the winnar of everything happened again.

Ford was handed the chance to get a well built up lead after the last event, and tossed it away. So typical They cock up every opportunity ever given to them to have a fighting chance at beating Loeb.
    Whats up with MINI also? They were doing so well last year, and havent seen much of them this year. At least Ford has Ostberg. His car doesnt seem to crash or break yet. Im sure citroen will get around to sabotaging it

Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Whats up with MINI also?
    well, when you replace your two drivers who have a chance of being in the top 10, with drivers whose best hope is to have a good fight at the back with Ken Block, what do you expect?

it's a shame that the Mikkelsen/Ogier fight didn't get any more attention - the fact that there's someone giving Ogier (who, I think it's obvious, is world champion material) a good fight, is HUGE. If VW does as good a job with the Polo WRC as they have with the Fabia S2000, next year should be very interesting.

Heck, maybe having two teams with fully supported factory efforts will spur Ford/MSport on to make the car a consistent winner...

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by bopApocalypse View Post
    well, when you replace your two drivers who have a chance of being in the top 10, with drivers whose best hope is to have a good fight at the back with Ken Block, what do you expect?

it's a shame that the Mikkelsen/Ogier fight didn't get any more attention - the fact that there's someone giving Ogier (who, I think it's obvious, is world champion material) a good fight, is HUGE. If VW does as good a job with the Polo WRC as they have with the Fabia S2000, next year should be very interesting.

Heck, maybe having two teams with fully supported factory efforts will spur Ford/MSport on to make the car a consistent winner...
    Good point. The Skodas are doing really well. Itll be nice to see another manufacturer get in too. Now if we can only get Subaru back, and Hyundai too.

into right 2 tightens

Didn't a fan belt take Ken out at an event as well? Sound like more than a one off, freak of nature deal. Maybe on a $500,000 car ford should skip the Family Dollar fan belts.
    Tony
    KC0VSL
    Oskar-the Citation.

"It ain't what a man Don't know that hurts Him, Near as much as what he Knows that just ain't so."
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bknblk View Post
    Petter needs to hire a full time anti black majik person to sweep his car for hexes, voodoo dolls, and ouji boards before each MTC. As much as I love him, if I get on a plane and see him sitting there, I'm getting off.
    I sat next to him on the way home from Mexico, and I'm still here

Although the next flight out, which half the M-Sport team was on, made an emergency landing while fuel was pissing out of the wing.