WRC Argentina Apr 27-29 talk/results spoiler**
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC Argentina Apr 27-29 talk/results spoiler**

into right 2 tightens Weasel 555's Avatar

Cool WRC Argentina Apr 27-29 talk/results spoiler**

Round 5 - WRC Argentina 27-29 Apr

Argentina, which first hosted a round of the World Rally Championship in 1980, is regarded as one of the toughest events on the WRC trail and the revised competitive route for 2012 will make it the longest since the Safari Rally in 2002 at 503 kilometres.

Based in Villa Carlos Paz north of the capital Buenos Aires, the town lies on the banks of the spectacular San Roque Lake in the south of the Punilla Valley close to the city of Cordoba.

The event is popularised by its jumps, water splashes and the lunar landscape of the high altitude El Condor stage, not to mention the tens of thousands of fans who line the route, and who are considered some of the most enthusiastic on the planet.

Official Website: rallyargentina.com/en/

Listen Live: worldrallyradio.com/

----------------------------

News:
    SPEED2 to offer complementary multi-day WRC support programming; Live! streaming MotoGP qualifying also added to SPEED2.

SPEED and SPEED2 will offer coverage of the 2012 World Rally Championship Series beginning this weekend with same-day delay programming from Rally Argentina on Sunday at 11 p.m. ET, and a replay Monday morning at 7 a.m. ET.

In addition, SPEED2 -- SPEED’s authenticated broadband network -- will offer WRC fans a chance to catch up on the first four events of the season, while additionally offering 30-minute highlight packages from each day of competition moving forward.

“This is a great opportunity to deliver a popular race series to the SPEED viewing audience, while at the same time offering complementary programming on SPEED2,” said SPEED President Scott Ackerson. “And after reaching several new carriage deals over the past few weeks, SPEED2 will soon be available to more than 35 million subscribers.”

The broadcast schedule for the next three WRC races SDD on SPEED (full schedule to be released as scheduled; replays the following mornings):

• Sunday, Apr 29, 11 p.m. ET (Argentina)
    • Sunday, May 27, 1 a.m. ET (Greece)*
    • Sunday, June 24, 11 p.m. ET (New Zealand)

World Rally programming on SPEED2 will join a growing lineup of premier racing events on the network, including Saturday’s live qualifying from the MotoGP race in Spain, where Americans Ben Spies, Nicky Hayden and Colin Edwards battle against the best in the world. For more information on SPEED2, please visit speed2.com/

SPEED was home to the World Rally Championship Series from 1997 through 2005.

*Race from Greece is late Sunday night broadcast date; follows Coca-Cola 600 episode of NASCAR Victory Lane

auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/speed-signs-deal-with-2012-world-rally-championship-series

Last edited by Weasel 555; 04-25-2012 at 06:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Finally, I need my rally fix. Plus, with Latvala out, Petter can kick ass (hopefully)!
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

I'm looking forward to seeing what Sordo can do in the Ford. I am rooting for Osberg to make another run for the podium.
    Bryan L.
    Maker of those intercom adapters and "stuff"
    www.zerodegreec.ca

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Sebastien Loeb has gone fastest on the Qualifying Stage for Philips Rally Argentina, round five of the FIA World Rally Championship powered by Nokia.

Loeb, the winner in Argentina on the last six occasions, completed the 4.59-kilometre test from Villa Garcia to Cabalango in a time of 2m36.9s to earn the right to select his road position for day one’s stages first.

The stage was held in wet and slippery conditions with drivers opting for the better-suited soft compound option - of which the Michelin runners have a limited supply - or the hard version, which doesn’t work as well in damp conditions but is Michelin’s nominated option for the rally.

“It’s slippery but it was not so bad,” said the eight-time world champion, who selected Michelin’s soft compound tyre. “I had a good drive with no mistakes. I was pushing hard.”

Loeb’s Citroen team-mate Mikko Hirvonen was second fastest. He said: “I was equal with Seb but then I made a small mistake and went wide on one corner. It’s going to be my choice for the road position but we will see for the weather.”

Dani Sordo, who is making a one-off appearance for the factory Ford team in place of the injured Jari-Matti Latvala, was third quickest in his Fiesta RS WRC. “I’m quite happy now, we modified the suspension and it was not so bad,” said the Spaniard, who reported a few handling issues during his two runs of free practice.

Team-mate Petter Solberg opted to run on Michelin’s hard compound tyre, which provided less grip in the slippery conditions. “I wanted to take care of the [soft] tyres for the rally if it’s raining,” said the Norwegian, who set the fourth best time. “It was very slippery in there with a lot of mud and rain now. But it’s a long rally.”

Nasser Al-Attiyah reported hitting a tree with the right-rear corner of his Qatar World Rally Team Citroen. Martin Prokop reported a misting windscreen in his DMACK-shod Fiesta. The Anglo-Chinese firm has nominated its soft-compound tyre with the hard available as the option tyre.

Drivers will select their road positions for day one at 13:00hrs local time. The first stage, Super Especial Amarok, goes live at 20:08hrs local time tonight (Thursday).

click: wrc.com/news/=16560

Rally Argentina: Qualifying stage:

1. Sebastien Loeb Citroen WRC - 2mins 36.369secs M
    2. Mikko Hirvonen Citroen WRC - +00.759secs M
    3. Dani Sordo Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC - +01.637secs M
    4. Petter Solberg Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC - +03.593s M
    5. Thierry Neuville Citroen Junior WRT DS3 WRC - +03.738s M
    6. Mads Ostberg Adapta WRT Fiesta RS WRC - +03.756s M
    7. Ott Tanak M-Sport Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC - +04.357s M
    8. Evgeny Novikov M-Sport Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC - +05.825s M
    9. Nasser Al-Attiyah Qatar WRT Citroen DS3 WRC - +06.234sM
    10. Martin Prokop Ford Fiesta RS WRC - +07.016s
    11. Armindo Araujo WRC MINI Team Portugal John Cooper Works WRC
    12. Daniel Oliveira Brazil WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC
    13. Paulo Nobre WRC MINI Team Portugal John Cooper Works WRC
    14. Eliseo Salazar MINI John Cooper Works WRC

all times unofficial

Last edited by Weasel 555; 04-26-2012 at 09:11 AM.

100 oversquare right

Cool move by Peter (if the rally sees more wet action)
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Sebastien Loeb has chosen to run first on the road on the opening day of Philips Rally Argentina amid fears that rain will make for difficult driving conditions, particularly for crews running further down the order.

Loeb, who starts round five of the FIA World Rally Championship powered by Nokia with a four-point advantage in the 2012 title race, was fastest on this morning’s Qualifying Stage, which earned him the right to pick his starting position ahead of his rival drivers.

Mikko Hirvonen, who partners Loeb in the Citroen Total World Rally Team, was second fastest in qualifying and has chosen to run second on the road.

Ford stand-in Dani Sordo was the third driver to choose his starting position but opted to go fourth behind team-mate Petter Solberg in an effort to give the Norwegian the best possible chance of winning in South America.

Solberg is second in the drivers’ championship and will benefit from a slightly higher starting position, particularly if the rain will lead to the stage surface deteriorating through continued use.

Thierry Neuville completes the top five starters in his Citroen Junior World Rally Team DS3 WRC. The Belgian is competing in Argentina for the first time. Armindo Araujo will be the leading MINI starter in 11th position. Ex-Formula One driver Eliseo Salazar goes 14th in his MINI.

The full running order for day one is as follows:

1 Sebastien Loeb

2 Mikko Hirvonen

3 Petter Solberg

4 Dani Sordo

5 Thierry Neuville

6 Mads Ostberg

7 Ott Tanak

8 Evgeny Novikov

9 Nasser Al-Attiyah

10 Martin Prokop

11 Armindo Araujo

12 Daniel Oliveira

13 Paulo Nobre

14 Eliseo Salazar

click: wrc.com/news/=16563

100 oversquare right

Dani you rock! (now he's the guy with way too much talent to not have a full time ride)

I would love to see a ford 1-2 at this one.. (hoping yes, holding my breath, no)
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Video from qualifying stage: wrc.com/video/argentina-2012-quali-stage

-----------------------------

SS1: Opening stage honours for Solberg

Stage data: SS1, Super Especial Amarok 1 (6.04 kilometres)

Petter Solberg leads Philips Rally Argentina after going quickest on the event’s first stage in Villa Carlos Paz.

Driving a Ford Fiesta RS WRC, Solberg clocked a time of 4m54.9s through the 6.04-kilometre test. Solberg, from Norway, went up against Sebastien Loeb, the man he trails by four points in the FIA World Rally Championship powered by Nokia.

Solberg selected Michelin’s soft compound tyre while Loeb opted for the hard compound version. Solberg was fastest by 3.6s ahead of stand-in team-mate Dani Sordo, while Loeb dropped 10.2s and was seventh fastest in his Citroen DS3 WRC.

“It feels good,” Solberg said. “A tricky stage to start off with so maybe we were too careful.”

Loeb said: “It was a really bad tyre choice; it felt very slippery.”

Vodafone Rally de Portugal winner Mads Ostberg was third quickest in his Adapta Fiesta. M-Sport Ford team-mates Evgeny Novikov and Ott Tanak shared the fourth fastest time with Citroen Junior Thierry Neuville sixth and Sebastien Ogier seventh in his Super 2000-specification Volkswagen Motorsport Skoda Fabia.

Behind eighth-placed Loeb, Armindo Araujo was ninth quickest in his WRC Team MINI Portugal John Cooper Works WRC with Andreas Mikkelsen 10th in his Fabia.

Nasser Al-Attiyah lost ground when he spun his Qatar World Rally Team Citroen. He was 13th fastest, one position ahead of leading Production Car World Rally Championship runner and top local driver Marcos Ligato.

The action resumes with stage two, Fernet 1882 La Pampa/La Pampa, which gets underway at 07:28hrs local time on Friday morning and measures 37.51 kilometres in length.

click: wrc.com/news/argentina ss1

Last edited by Weasel 555; 04-26-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Friday

SS2: Loeb fastest on opener

Stage data: SS2, Fernet 1882 La Pampa/La Pampa (37.51 kilometres)

Sebastien Loeb has hit back in his bid to win Philips Rally Argentina after going quickest on Friday’s opening stage in his Citroen DS3 WRC.

Loeb dropped time on Thursday night’s superspecial in Villa Carlos Paz and was down in eighth position at the overnight halt.

Running first on the road, Loeb, the winner in Argentina on six previous occasions, took 23m12.5s to complete stage two, despite spinning at the midpoint of the run.

“I had a little spin in the middle of the stage in a hairpin and had to reverse and start again,” said Loeb, who climbs to second overall. “I had a really good drive apart from the problem in the middle.”

Petter Solberg continues to lead overall after dropping 1.9s to Loeb. The factory Ford driver, whose advantage out front is 8.3s, reported a piece of protective safety foam had worked loose and ended up obstructing his foot pedals during the stage.

The Norwegian also said he almost went off the road on two occasions in the slippery conditions.

Mikko Hirvonen was 5.2s slower than team-mate Loeb with the third quickest time. “It was a difficult stage with so much rhythm changes,” said the Finn.

Dani Sordo, who is standing in for the injured Jari-Matti Latvala at Ford, was fourth quickest. He said: “The handling of the car was very good but I don’t take many risks on purpose.”

more: wrc.com/news/argentina ss2

--------------------

SS3: Solberg fastest

Stage data: SS3, Speedagro Ascochinga/Agua de Oro (51.88 kilometres)

Petter Solberg leads Philips Rally Argentina by 20.1s after winning the third stage of the event, round five of the FIA World Rally Championship powered by Nokia.

Solberg, in Ford World Rally Team Fiesta RS WRC, set a time of 37m50.7s through the monster 51.88-kilometre test to grow his overall advantage to new second-placed driver Mikko Hirvonen, who profited when his team-mate Sebastien Loeb suffered two spins in his Citroen Total World Rally Team DS3 WRC.

“I have a lot of oversteer and on the exit of the corner I can’t keep the car on the line,” said Loeb, who slips to fourth overall after taking 26.5s more than Solberg to complete the run.

Solberg, meanwhile, reported having problems of his own. “I hit a bank and bent the rear link. I thought I had a puncture and couldn’t really push because it happened after four kilometres. It was quite a tricky stage to drive like that. I didn’t take any risks.”

Dani Sordo, who is partnering Solberg at Ford on a one-off basis in place of the injured Jari-Matti Latvala, was third fastest, 10.1s down on the Norwegian.

Thierry Neuville reported suffering a brief spin his Citroen Junior World Rally Team DS3 WRC. Nevertheless it was an impressive effort by the young Belgian who was fourth quickest, 13.1s off the leading pace.

Russian Evgeny Novikov failed to get to the 10-kilometre mark after taking a wheel off his M-Sport Fiesta. Team-mate Ott Tanak is also stopped in the stage.

click: wrc.com/news/argentina ss3

--------------------

Friday midday wrap

It has been a dramatic start to round five of the FIA World Rally Championship powered by Nokia with Petter Solberg leading for Ford and Sebastien Loeb down in fourth overall after spinning his factory Citroen on three separate occasions.

With overnight rain leaving the stages damp and muddy in places, conditions have been far from ideal for the competing crews on Philips Rally Argentina.

Loeb was fastest on Friday’s first test to hit back from the time loss suffered on Thursday night’s superspecial stage, despite a spin. However, two further spins on the 51.88-kilometre Speedagro Ascochinga/Agua de Oro stage means he now trails Solberg by 34.8s at the midday service in Villa Carlos Paz.

Solberg, whose advantage over second-placed Mikko Hirvonen - in another Citroen - stands at 20.1s, said: “Twenty seconds is not a lot I tell you. In the last stage I hit a bank and bent the rear link. I thought I had a puncture and didn’t take any risks.”

Loeb said a bout of oversteer was to blame for his woes as he bids to make it seven wins in a row in South America. “I have a lot of oversteer and on the exit of the corner I can’t keep the car on the line,” said the world championship leader.

Behind Hirvonen, Dani Sordo has impressed on his first outing for the factory Ford team in place of the injured Jari-Matti Latvala. The Spaniard is a strong third, 24.6s down on team-mate Solberg.

Thierry Neuville is fifth in his Citroen Junior World Rally Team DS3 WRC with Vodafone Rally de Portugal winner Mads Ostberg completing the top six.

more: wrc.com/news/friday-midday-wrap

Uh Oh, UH OH, UHH OHHH!!! johnhuebbe's Avatar

Go Petter!!!
    Behold the POWER of cheese! www.huebberally.com
    Organizer: 100aw.org & perryville.100aw.org/ | Rally Cars: 1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy