What sort of setup are you rally hams using? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What sort of setup are you rally hams using?

Since I'm going to be hooking up some aux. lights to my truck I'll just run an extra 14 or 12 ga wire through the firewall at the same time, do the radios have their own fuses or would I need to have an inline fuse holder in the power cable. I have a backrack on the truck so I should be able to find an antenna bracket for it fairly easy (I hope).

Like this >

Unfortunately for me hamfest is when I'm at work and the local ham clubs all seem to have their meetings when I'm not around either. I'll have to keep an eye out on ebay or kijiji. (Or bite the bullet on a new one)

On another ham note, just checked the RAC site, looks like Industry Canada finally processed my application.

Thanks for all the info, more is always welcome.
    Last edited by KDeV; 03-28-2012 at 07:33 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Uh Oh, UH OH, UHH OHHH!!! johnhuebbe's Avatar

My ICOM came with a power cable and inline fuse on both the positive & negative wires.
    Behold the POWER of cheese! www.huebberally.com
    Organizer: 100aw.org & perryville.100aw.org/ | Rally Cars: 1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KDeV View Post
    do the radios have their own fuses or would I need to have an inline fuse holder in the power cable.
    Since both the power and ground could carry quite a bit of current if something went wrong, it's recommended that you have fuses in both, with those fuses being inline just near the battery. Make sure it's a blade-type inline, not anything with a spring (for those glass/ceramic cylindrical fuses). The springy ones can bounce and yield intermittent contact, leading to very annoying resets. As usual, guess how I learned this lesson.

Cheers,
    Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

your other left, you idiot

Every radio I have seen has its own fuses in its power leads. But, if you are running additional wire from the battery, I would fuse it at the battery (especially if you are going through the firewall). Fuse both the positive and the negative.

press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Fuse both the positive and the negative.
    To explain, this is to protect the radio for becoming a convenient path to ground should something else have a problem. From a protection of the vehicle standpoint, fusing the ground is no more necessary than on any other piece of equipment in the vehicle.

I suspect this came about when ham rigs could be a sizeable portion of the vehicle's value. My in-dash DVD/Navigation/Handsfree/Reverse camera has a lot more various cables running throughout the truck (GPS antenna, microphone, parking brake signal, VSS signal, reverse signal, sperakers, power to and signal from reverse camera, speakers, XM radio, and the entire GMLAN bus), so it's potential for becoming a path to ground is much higher than the radio (as well as it's value) and nobody ever suggests fusing the ground of the car stereo.

Not saying it doesn't serve a purpose, I just think it's purpose is pretty miminal these days. I don't bother.

Mark Holden - G2 Nissan Sentra SE-R

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

You know, I don't understand why they don't just make the wires out of whatever the fuses are made of. Seems like that would make all this a lot simpler.

(says the electrical engineer, jokingly)
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by KDeV View Post
    On another ham note, just checked the RAC site, looks like Industry Canada finally processed my application.

Thanks for all the info, more is always welcome.
    Welcome to the world of being a HAM operator. Now you can get started knowing people by their radio signs before you can actually remember their name. Did they confirm your call sign yet?
    Dave Cotie
    VA3 COT

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCotie View Post
    Welcome to the world of being a HAM operator. Now you can get started knowing people by their radio signs before you can actually remember their name. Did they confirm your call sign yet?
    I've been up at work so I havent't seen anything in the mail and I haven't got any emails about it but I am in the system with the call sign VA3KDV

Default Another option...

If you can, try out a friend's/rally worker's radio -- or at a store. Some folks find some of the menu systems to be more intuitive than a competitors, etc.

As an option, may I suggest the Kenwood TM-281A -- It can be had for $140-145 - due to discounts from Kenwood.
    65 watts, compact, MIL-spec, front mounted speaker, larger mic buttons (easier to manipulate)... Good reviews at Eham.net. Not against the Yaesu rig -- I have 4 Yaesu rigs... Just providing an alternative that I recently suggested to another new radio op/rally fan.

So depending upon shipping and your final budget, you should be in good shape for a mid to low-end, but serviceable antenna and external speaker.

Here are some install ideas:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&postcount=442

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...762247&page=19

Best wishes!
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.

straight at T

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
    You know, I don't understand why they don't just make the wires out of whatever the fuses are made of. Seems like that would make all this a lot simpler.

(says the electrical engineer, jokingly)
    Being an EE, and therefore knowlegable about many named physical laws*, you know that the wire would then melt in either the most inaccessible place or right next to the most flamable thing...

*Ohm's, Murphy's, etc...

My setup is a Yaesu FT-8500 (dual-band) with a dual-band handheld (Yaesu FT-51R), and a Yaesu FT-1500M as a backup.

Adrian
    Last edited by Adrian Wintle; 04-09-2012 at 07:27 AM.