Special Stage Forums banner

how to set up an event?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BUELLRACER1 
#1 ·
I want to set up a gravel hillclimb road race up a local country/mountain road.The course is roughly 3 miles long,roughly a 9% grade,all gravel and a bunch of turns,many of which are 600+ foot dropoffs,no guardrails.For a first event I would say that 20 entries would probably be doing well.Divide classes into 2WD and AWD.Kinda going for a cheap grassroots event.wear a helmet and a seatbelt at all times on the course.Rollcage optional but highly recommended.All vehicles be currently insured and registered.2 practice runs and one race run.entry fee of around $50.Im thinking a two day event.first day is registration and practice runs,2nd day would be race runs and awards.1st and 2nd in each class get some money as well as 1st and 2nd overall.

background I try to drive fast up that road but I can only go so fast due to the blind corners.So one day I thought to myself what if the road was closed and a couple people came up and ran time trials up the hill.

so what would I have to do to get something like this to take place?theres all sorts of tarmac hilclimb events around here,but I believe that a tarmac hillclimb would just be a horsepower contest,while a gravel hillclimb will be a better test of driver skill.

#2 ·
SCCA sanctions this sort of event so you might be able to do it through them. I'm not sure if RA or NRS have rules for this type of event but you can check.

The first thing is to verify who controls the road and read up on what it takes to legally close the road. Don't ask anybody in authority until you know what the laws really say.

Then ask the sanctioning body what they need. Of course, Rally Idaho is sef sanctioned so that group may be willing to help also.

#3 ·
SCCA sanctions this sort of event so you might be able to do it through them. I'm not sure if RA or NRS have rules for this type of event but you can check.
Has SCCA sanctioned a gravel hillclimb anytime since they dropped stage rally? I don't know for sure, but I'd guess not.

Even if they did, SCCA's hill climbs are "the highest level of their time-trial program", so they require full road race cages, plenty of safety gear, etc.

Northwest Hillclimb Association is the only group that I know of that runs hillclimbs for uncaged cars. All of their current events are on tarmac - no idea if they'd be open to sanctioning/insuring a gravel event.

Bottom line is that I don't think, with a gravel road and "600+ foot dropoffs,no guardrails", anybody's going to be willing to sanction and insure uncaged cars. Your best bet will be to talk with the Idaho Rally Group folks - but regardless of who's sanctioning and insuring the event, a $50 entry fee and autocross-level safety gear are likely pipe dreams, IMO.

threadjack:
read up on what it takes to legally close the road.
Richard-
[Realizing that it's going to vary wildly from state to state,] Any suggestions on where to go about finding this sort of information? I've done a fair amount of poking through various county and state codes, without finding much information on road closures.

#4 ·
I spent many hours reading through Vernon's statues which is a collection of all the laws in Texas. And did many Google searches before I found the law that allows the Lamar county to close county roads without any input from the Texas Department of Transportation. Another source might be if you know a friendly lawyer. Also, check with bicycle clubs or running clubs as they have been known to close roads. The local Chamber of Commerce can be help if you can convince them that you are going to rent hotel rooms.

And I agree this is going to be hard to do for uncaged cars.

#6 ·
341 by spectre also closes a highway and allows uncagged cars to compete. you car must be street legal, a helmet, seat belt and long sleeves is all that is required.

its a paved road, but many nasty corners / lack of guard rails , they've had fatalities , and they are still able to hold the event, close the road, and get insurance.

http://www.spectre341challenge.com/ maybe contact them for some ideas on insurance . I'm pretty sure the racers at this event are liable for damage to the county (signs , road markers , etc)

#8 ·
For Idaho you need to find who maintains the road. If it is the county your life is much easier. Approach the county commissioners about a permit. Each county will be different but ours is only $200.00. Then you will prably have to pay the county for police, fire, and ambulance. $4500.00 for us. Also budget for road repair after the event. I budget $2000.00 just in case, it may be less or more depending on your surface. Insurance is $3000.00 for 5 million liability which the county will require for the permit. I don't know if they will do non caged cars or not. Our cheif safety/ tech inspector is very involved with the hill climb series in Boise. All their timing equipment and such lives at his house so I can probably find out. Call me or email and I will help with what I can. I would run it. Pikes Peak doesn't have guard rails and they told us at the drivers meeting that "if you go off there are two springs that will stop you, Manitoe Springs and Colorado Springs" The two towns at the bottom. Dick Rockrohr Director Idaho Rally Group buellracer1@yahoo.com 208-867-6943

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.