Pacific NW Rally Championship - 2011 & 2012
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacific NW Rally Championship - 2011 & 2012

Default Pacific NW Rally Championship - 2011 & 2012

Dear All:

It has been a while since I updated http://www.northwestrally.com, hopefully I will get to that soon. But there are some topics in which I would like to engage in some discussion.

Just so you know, we will be having an awards and volunteer appreciation party some time in February or early March. I will be sure to post details here when they are available, and also at northwestrally.com.

We will be adding Super Production to our championship, so it will no longer be scored (in the championship) with Open. Since we cross different sanctioning bodies, I'll need to make sure I know if your car is SP (I know many of them, just be sure to let me know if I miss you in the championship scoring). It is up to individual events if they count SP as a trophy category, so be sure to check your Supp Regs for each event.

Events scored... At this point, we have the following events in the championship:

Oregon Trail (C1, C3, C2)
    Idaho (C2, C3)
    Olympus (C3, C2)
    Mt. Hood (C2)

This ain't much. I have not heard if Wild West will appear, and there has not yet been any announcement of any pre-Oregon Trail event (although I hope to look at some roads for a short sprint). I guess the question is, do we add more events or count more of the scored coefficients towards the championship (right now we count 2/3).

So, should we bump up the ratio of scored events, or should we add a couple more events? Or both?

The organizer of the Mendocino Rally (C2) is very keen to be part of the championship. It was a new rally last year, and apparently has some fun roads. It is in northern California.

Two years ago we counted Big White (I think it was a C2), a snow rally in British Columbia. Should I contact organizers to see if they are interested in being part of our championship again?

We can't add Mountain Trials because it is too close to Idaho (if not the same weekend), likewise Pacific Forest would be too close to Olympus and Mt. Hood.

I would like to firm this up soon (probably should have already) so people can plan for the season. Please submit feedback to this thread before, say, January 27. If you don't want to post publicly, please feel free to e-mail me directly at rallyben at gmail dot com.

At this point I am administering the PNWRC, but it's OUR championship, not my championship, so I would like to find out what competitors (and volunteers) would like it to be.

Thanks for your help and feedback!

Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info and we all appreciate the effort for organizing the championships and keeping the PNWRC fun and competitive!!

I for one would do both the Mendocino Rally, we missed it this year, and heard nothing but great things, great roads, AND they are doing recce this year. Also, add Big White, that is one seriously fun rally, short transits, great lodging at the ski area, AND that is in addition to GREAT roads!!!

That would put us at 6 races, most pretty close, and some varied road surfaces!!

Thanks again,
    Dave Henderson
    SUSPECT Motor Sports
    Rally: #541 2004 Subaru Impreza Sti
    Moto: #783 Honda CRF450

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Suspec...54964457882487

North Nevada is closer to the PNW, and offers more road variety . Mendo was fun for sure, but used just one 14 mile road split up and run both directions.
    Maybe Adam will chime in on this, as he did both events.
    1986 Group5 Merkur XR4Ti
    Sean and Jenne Medcroft

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

North Nevada is another possibility; organizers have expressed interest in the past, although it hasn't been discussed recently. I attended the rally in 2011 as a steward, so have a fair bit of knowledge of the event.

Adam and I have had some conversations about Mendocino.

Ben

I would vote for North Nevada as I love the Saturday Roads, The other two I have heard good things but haven't made it there yet. Also what are the feeling on awarding promoter point like the CRS does. I hate to not get anything by promoting Idaho rather than running it? Either way I will still work on putting it on again this year. Thanks, Dick Rockrohr

I put the hurt on dirt madmann28's Avatar

The championship doesn't need to be centered around Seattle. if you drew a circle with Kelowna and Mendocino in it, the center would be around portland, ~500miles each direction.
    I like what happened with the Norton Championship (me winning it). If those events had counted towards the PNWRC, I would have one Gp2 also.
    Norton does a great job of expanding our horizons and is perfect in every way.
    Given that we've "lost" doo wops and Wild West, I think there wouldn't be much harm in including more events.
    "opening up" the championship a little will only help the teams that can afford the extra time and gas, so giving the Far events less weight (out of region?) seems like a way to limit guys like me who went everywere.
    Here is a link to the map that we drove last year over 4000mi. http://g.co/maps/pzxk2
    we could have cut 500mi by driving sraight from ID to NV to CA.
    I would like the Canadian events (PFR, MT.TRials) to get the same lower weight as the far events.
    Sometimes the short span between events is less of a burden then then the distance to get there, or something that prevents entry to one event, allows entry to another.

I can tell you now that we wont be doing as many events this coming year, which is sad, but we have our reasons.

Default NorCal Rallies

Have done NNR a couple of times, including last year, and did Mendo as well. NNR is an excellent rally with great roads. Mendo had some teething problems, not surprisingly, but has all the makings of a great event. The Mendo organizer can't get away from the "one road" syndrome entirely, but he has some creative ideas for new ways to use it, for breaking up the activities and for minimizing turnaround times. Having those two events in the Northwest Rally Series could seriously induce us to do something we've talked about for quite a while -- come up to the PNW for some more events.

Dick Moser
    "In a battle of wits, it is poor sport to fight an unarmed man". - Samuel Clemens

navie baby!

In looking at the PNW championship events this year it really looks like a schedule that would be great to do the whole season with no problem. Having done both Northern Nevada and Mendocino last year I think that Nevada has great roads when you stay on them and Mendocino has just one road, first year teething issues, but was a blast. I think both events would be great to add to the schedule because they are good events with good roads. Just throwing it out there but Prescott was a great event all around too.

If you add Big White or Mtn Trails there are scheduling conflicts that would keep us and probably several others from participating.

My two cents:
    Oregon Trail (C1, C3, C2)
    Idaho (C2, C3)
    Olympus (C3, C2)
    Mt. Hood (C2)
    Northern Nevada and/or Mendocino

Karen Jankowski (Wagner)

100 oversquare right

I'm a south westie... But I would like to say that the Mendocino rally is a great rally, lots of fun , lots of driving time lots of turns. North nevada rally has super fun stages (Saturday) and the Friday night stages are fun too (not quite as fun as saturday) but they are very enjoyable . both rallies can be ran fairly stock ride height and you won't break your car. (assuming you stay on the road) . I've got incar from both if any is curious about the stages.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Official pre-sweep vehicle Jim Robison's Avatar

Here's a link to David Sterckx and Karen Jankowski at the 2011 Mendocino rally. They took top time on all stages until they DNF'ed with a bad clutch. http://youtu.be/PQ2xUQv5J_M?t=40s