Aux lights in ontario?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aux lights in ontario?

Default Aux lights in ontario?

Hey all,

I'm contemplating putting some aux lights on my truck and seeing as rally cars have them I figured this would be a good place to ask. Does anyone know what the laws are in Ontario about aux lighting for on-road vehicles? I believe they're supposed to be covered when on road but can they be used for on road driving or would they be just an expensive decoration on the front? I tried going through the highway traffic act and didn't see anything pertaining to them in the "lamps" section. If they are legal for on-road use what brand do you folks seem to have the best bang for your buck with?
    Last edited by KDeV; 11-07-2011 at 05:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

50 caution yump

Here is the section of the HTA:

Strength of front lamps

(9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...08_e.htm#BK119

Good luck finding a police officer with a candela meter!

I have a set of aux lights on both my Subaru and my Exploder. The Subaru has a pair of Hella 700 FF's (55W) and the truck has two Bosch fogs (100W). If you get caught using them on the highways by the police you can probably count on a ticket. I keep them covered during normal use and they are set-up to be removed quickly and just leave the mounts on both vehicles, so they don't get crunched in day-to-day use:

This is what I originally planned, but I decided for 1 set per vehicle:

Dave Cotie
    VA3 COT

So the way I read that is you can mount up to 4 additional lights, hmm might have to talk to some friends that are cops and get their $0.02

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

your other left, you idiot

Um, you might want to reread that. And then be very careful.

"Strength of front lamps

(9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9)."

My reading is, you can mount as many lights/lamps as you want. Just don't let the OPP see you with more than 4 of them on at any time. Now, I try to dim long before I get to anyone. And trying to figure out how many lights were on is difficult....

OPP has only stopped me when working Pines for alcohol check (they were checking everyone), and they seemed more interested in my lack of front plate (Michigan does not have one).

ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by KDeV View Post
    So the way I read that is you can mount up to 4 additional lights, hmm might have to talk to some friends that are cops and get their $0.02
    press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

Spectator Wrangler Bruce Beauvais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    OPP has only stopped me when volunteering at Pines for alcohol check (they were checking everyone), and they seemed more interested in my lack of front plate (Michigan does not have one).

ymmv
    press on,
    Fixed it for ya. Weren't you one ( many) who advised me never to us the "W" word least they start asking for paperwork at the border ?
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF

Just talked to one of my buddies who's an LEO and he reads the HTA the same way as Jimmy. So my next decision is brand, wattage and type. I figure a fog on each end and 2 driving in the center would be the best overall combo. I think pencils might be a bit overkill on a non-racing set-up. I also found a few companies that make up mount bars instead of the full blown bull bars (can't block the intercooler cut out on my truck)

your other left, you idiot

Pencils are a complete waste of money (except maybe in the desert, at triple digit speeds - in miles, not KM).

press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

100 oversquare right

I've used my KC Daylighter Pencils (100 Watts) during highway / rural road travel, and they help quite a bit over my stock head lights (which are aimed too low, and are too dim)

BUT Yes, Driving patterns will be MUCH better. I've used both (1 set at a time) during commuting . the $100 kit from summit is really nice (though you can out drive them during a rally)
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Beauvais View Post
    Fixed it for ya. Weren't you one ( many) who advised me never to us the "W" word least they start asking for paperwork at the border ?
    And the codicil to that caution was never say "rally" at the border, it has political connotations, don't you know.

Do say: I'm going to volunteer at a car race.

Don't say: I'm going to work at a rally.
    Kent Gardam - KD8MRR

this is rally, and it's not supposed to be easy....Eric Burmeister, 2009

In my opinion, rallying could stand a bit less posturing and circus and a bit more backbone....Phil Barnes, aging co-driver

So I guess the question I have now is Hella, PIAA or lightforce? Seems like Hella has the most bang for your buck