Magnum Opus April , 21 2012 ( In planning stages ) - Page 24
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Magnum Opus April , 21 2012 ( In planning stages )

Thanks to Tim, the committee, and all of the volunteers! I still had a great time despite having motor problems on the transit between 8 & 9. I suspect it's a failed exhaust valve guide. We didn't want to risk a valve failure so we put it on the trailer at the last service. I think those two stages of sustained high RPM & high EGTs might have contributed to the failure. The BUG averaged 78 mph on the fast stage.
    # www.100AW.org (Press & PR) # Hübbe RallyBug - www.HuebbeRally.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 oversquare right bentmettle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnhuebbe View Post
    Nice photos.
    I bracket heavily and use the camera like a scratch pad.

Billy and I drove up to the falls Sunday AM- we went east on Silver Lake and went north on "roads", spitting out about 5 miles from the falls.

LSPR speccie/worker & YBJ fan JTYooper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bentmettle View Post
    Had a great time, got to meet folks and put faces to names.
    Nice meeting you Matt, thanks for helping me work my first time control! I had a great time being out in the woods with other rally folk, and the great weather was a nice bonus. I am sure working a control for the first time at night during a horrendous downpour with 60-plus entries might have been a totally different experience...
    John T.

LSPR - "Oldest, Toughest, Meanest Rally on the Circuit"
    NATIONAL!! Thu-Sat Oct 16-18, 2014 | Houghton - Covington - L'anse

LSProRally.com | facebook.com/LSProRally | @lsprorally

LSPR 2013 flyers - General | Volunteer | Spectator | Biz Card

"Watching rally is like traveling to a series of middles of nowhere."
    Johnny Loftus, Detroit MetroTimes - S*D 2007

"And rallying, I’m afraid, is a sport for the terminally gormless."
    Jeremy Clarkson

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JTYooper View Post
    I am sure working a control for the first time at night during a horrendous downpour with 60-plus entries might have been a totally different experience...
    We were blessed with really fantastic weather.

I felt bad that I'd forgetting how to explain so much. I wonder if next year we could cram a workers training class into the 10-11am type time slot?

LSPR speccie/worker & YBJ fan JTYooper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bentmettle View Post
    I felt bad that I'd forgetting how to explain so much. I wonder if next year we could cram a workers training class into the 10-11am type time slot?
    Be careful how how you word that, your use of "we" could imply that you will teach the class!

I was actually wondering the same thing as I drove home that nite. I have an email drafted for John Fishbeck (chief of Workers), and was going to ask what he thought of having a class for next year. He did make a ton of great material available to the workers (assuming you got the same email I did, with the link to the worker documents), and I had read thru it ahead of time. It was apparent that I did not study hard enuf...

As you mentioned that afternoon after SS4 was running, having to switch from stage 3 Finish to stage 4 Start right away did not leave us much time to "get our ducks in a row". If we would have had time to discuss it while waiting for cars to come into our start from a normal previous stage, I think it would have been fine (or at least a bit better).

Don't feel bad, you & Kevin were explaining things well enuf, I was just a bit shell-shocked with all that was happening between 3 & 4...
    John T.

LSPR - "Oldest, Toughest, Meanest Rally on the Circuit"
    NATIONAL!! Thu-Sat Oct 16-18, 2014 | Houghton - Covington - L'anse

LSProRally.com | facebook.com/LSProRally | @lsprorally

LSPR 2013 flyers - General | Volunteer | Spectator | Biz Card

"Watching rally is like traveling to a series of middles of nowhere."
    Johnny Loftus, Detroit MetroTimes - S*D 2007

"And rallying, I’m afraid, is a sport for the terminally gormless."
    Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by JTYooper View Post
    Be careful how how you word that, your use of "we" could imply that you will teach the class!
    If I was prepared, I'd be fine with that.

I didn't pre-register, so I didn't get any emails. Brad spoke pretty positively of John's materials, as well though.

I think there were some worker training events held downstate to support SnoDrift (much) earlier this year. I wonder if expanding those would be a good excuse for various local groups to get together (and drink beer).

100 K right 4

Many thanks to all the workers, competitors and sponsors for making this first event successful. The feedback from the community, the road commission, law enforcement, the fairgrounds, etc. was 100% positive and they are already counting on the rally to return in 2013. Those who stuck around at the banquet to the wee hours heard the county road commissioner speak and offer to open/clear seasonal roads for next year - that is a game-changer for us. The 3 stage roads this year were, literally, the only roads available to us. We tried to make the best of them.

Although there were obviously a lot of people (close to 150 workers!) involved in making this rally happen, Tim Maskus and Bill Westrick spent countless hours over the past 5 months doing the heavy lifting. The rally went from idea to completion in less than 6 months!

We'll have a bunch of photos on magnumopusrally.com in the next few days. Here's a few for now:

ex-SCCA ProRally Open Class

Ziptie Rally Crew Chief

I had an excellent time. What an excellent event. I'll be there next year, for sure.

The ONE thing that I would have liked to see, was a service packet. A decent map of the service/parc expose/super special area, schedule, stage mileages, etc.

The info in the supps worked, I knew approximately where we were supposed to be all day, and there were enough people already there when we got there that we figured it out. But I was kinda just guessing....

Obviously it was a simple enough event, not a big deal. Just a suggestion