Rally Sprints and Economic Impact - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rally Sprints and Economic Impact

your other left, you idiot

Perryville MO saw what happend at 100AW and asked us to come to their town!

Of course, golden tongue Kim DeMotte had a bit to do with it.

ymmv

press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by REDrum View Post
    Does it bring in a ton of room nights and meal to the town area, nope. But so what, its grassroots and a ton of fun.
    The point is that being able to show a significant economic impact on a community can make all the difference in the world to an organizer in making an event happen.

It's the difference between a handful of irate people showing up at a DNR meeting and complaining about their roads being closed, and having a representative from the Chamber of Commerce lobbying on behalf of the rally and the benefit they bring to the community as a whole.

Rally doesn't exist in a vacuum, as much as it would simplify things, an organizer has to consider economic and political aspects of the event as well as the merely logistical. In fact it's really a larger percentage of the job that the stuff that you can directly see results from on the day(s) of the event.
    Last edited by Mark Holden; 11-02-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Mark Holden - G2 Nissan Sentra SE-R

into right 2 tightens

I think the Hearts and Minds campaign is just as effective as the hard data to the chamber approach. Whenever I do anything in or around the town(s) of a rally, I tell them how great there town is and that I'm here for the rally. Gas, restaurants, Wal-Mart, etc. the money might not be overwhelming, but It puts the two thoughts together.

There was some soccer tournament in Perryville last weekend. I'm sure there were many, many time more people in town for that than rally. But I also bet they didn't make a point of telling the gal at the gas station, or the guy that owns that great Italian place downtown they were in here for ____________.

This obviously doesn't help with a new event, just keeping a event alive in the future.
    Tony
    KC0VSL
    Oskar-the Citation.

"It ain't what a man Don't know that hurts Him, Near as much as what he Knows that just ain't so."
    -Mark Twain

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 oversquare right

that's a great Tip Tony. i usually tell store workers that i'm in town for X rally. but not always and I didn't even think it could possibly help the event organizer...
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

As you say, doesn't help with a new event, but everyone who competes, volunteers or spectates an event should be doing this. Building relationships with the communities we compete near is crucial.

I can't remember how many times I've been in Bemidji for OFR, and had someone ask me "why are all these people wearing wristbands?" When I explain it to them I get the "How long have you been doing this?" followed by "I've lived here for XX years and never heard of it before!"

Quote Originally Posted by bknblk View Post
    I think the Hearts and Minds campaign is just as effective as the hard data to the chamber approach. Whenever I do anything in or around the town(s) of a rally, I tell them how great there town is and that I'm here for the rally. Gas, restaurants, Wal-Mart, etc. the money might not be overwhelming, but It puts the two thoughts together.

There was some soccer tournament in Perryville last weekend. I'm sure there were many, many time more people in town for that than rally. But I also bet they didn't make a point of telling the gal at the gas station, or the guy that owns that great Italian place downtown they were in here for ____________.

This obviously doesn't help with a new event, just keeping a event alive in the future.
    Last edited by Mark Holden; 11-04-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Mark Holden - G2 Nissan Sentra SE-R

It's still hilarious in L'Anse. If you say LSPR, you get a puzzled look. If you say POR, they smile, laugh, and start talking your ear off of how back in the day "we were gonna do that!". Btw, I think LSPR is now 17? years old.
    Gone to Group 5 Rear Wheel Drive!!! Car #50

I'll catch you if I can!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Herman...am/49931201369

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    when we do the nemadji trail rallies we essentially double the population of the town for a day - i know it must be a pretty big revenue day for the general store that we service next to
    Duquette has a total population smaller than the crew VSC/SRTUSA brings out to a national!!! lol I think you could take the population of Duquette, Nickerson, Kerrick and Holyoke and STILL double the population if you brought out 20 teams!!! lol

We have a similar strategy when we take the Jeeps out, when ya get gas, food, or just soda and ice for the cooler, buy it local, don't haul it in with you from home. Let the owner/manager of whatever store you stopped at know why you're there. They appreciate it, more and more as you get more people to do this.