Special Stage Forums banner

Heuer / Robo Rally Computer (and Related Devices)

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Joe Average 
#1 ·
I am trying to assemble some information and photos relating to the Heuer / Robo Rally Computers, and a couple of related rally timing devices. I realize that there was a discussion on the subject a couple of years ago -- http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?39208-Heuer-Robo-Rally-Timer&highlight=heuer -- but I have some questions:

-- Does anyone here own one of these Heuer / Robo Rally Computers (big blue box)?

-- Does anyone have a copy of the instructions or schematics? Or are there other good sources of information about the Heuer / Robo Rally Computers?

-- What about the smaller black box with the Heuer Sebring attached (fourth photo below)? It attaches to the Heuer / Robo Rally Computer, through the “Accessories” input plug, but what is this device called, who made it, and how does it function? Does anyone know anything about this “black box” device, with the Sebring attached?

-- Finally, the very last photo shows a smaller Heuer timing computer? Can anyone tell me anything about this one?

Thanks in advance for any information!!

Jeff

See less See more
#5 ·
Sheetz-Gull Rally Timer (Null Readout)

Bill Jonesi has identified the "black box" as a Sheetz-Gull rally computer . . . sometimes called a "null read-out" device, as the objective is to keep the two second hands aligned. Now that we know the name of the device, it should be a bit easier to do some research into the details. We also understand the logo, with the "S" and the seagull!!

Here is a thread from a discussion in 2000, regarding the Sheetz-Gull -- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCCARoadRally/message/1508?threaded=1&var=1&p=2

I will add more to this thread, as I learn more about these devices.

Jeff

#6 ·
-- Does anyone here own one of these Heuer / Robo Rally Computers (big blue box)?

-- Does anyone have a copy of the instructions or schematics? Or are there other good sources of information about the Heuer / Robo Rally Computers?
Jeff, yes and yes. Are those the pictures from the Ebay auction? That's the one I have I think.

I can scan to pdf all the instructions. I think I owe you the instructions for the Zeron 770? By coincidence on Wednesday I received the missing bits for my Joslin Autonav and now have a complete set of instructions, wiring diagrams and negatives for the circuit boards. I had the thing powered up and clicking on the work bench this afternoon, triggered by a signal generator. I may just put that thing in the Cortina....

#9 ·
What would you like to know?

Yes, I am the Roger Bohl of RoBo fame (infamy?). FYI, "RoBo" was the name al ROss and I (roger BOhl) used in an early rally equipment venture, despite popular assumption that it stood for ROger BOhl.

I don't have the instructions or schematic of the unit, which I designed, and was built by Heuer's electronics division, in Stamford, CT.

I have my original (but, alas, corroded and non-working) unit. I'd be glad to answer any questions about it, including how to use it.

Roger Bohl
(SCCA National Rally Champion (1960, 1967, 1968(?)))
707-939-8459

#11 ·
I remember Roger and Kathy Bohl running Wing and Bonnet Club local TSD rallies in New Jersey in the late sixties.
I was navigating for my dad and amazed that the National Rally Champs in a Computer equipped Mustang were running a local Sunday afternoon TSD rally.
Good Times!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.