Special Stage Forums banner

Rallye Magazine cover art prints ...

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Mad Mike 
#1 ·
I received this recently: "Hello Mad Mike! I was just digging thru old memorabilia and came across an August 1976 Rallye magazine with Toby's painting of the BMW 2002 rallying on the cover. Do you still have the original? Did you ever make prints? Are either for sale?"

SS members must be psychic! On top of wasting a lot of time & gas this weekend - chasing around western Oklahoma scratching my head over where to find that Dodge Journey that was up for grabs - I took advantage of the trip to finally get some estimates for making posters from the four Toby Nippel original pieces of art John Power sold me. I have the BMW that was mentioned, a Porsche 911 rally car, the Lancia Stratos in Alitalia livery and the then brand new Honda Civic. I even know I can find the F-Square Rally Team Rabbit idf anyone is interested. All five adorned Rallye Magazine covers back in the 70s.

While I don't have the cost estimates in hand yet I would like to mention a little of what was discussed yesterday. The company can do posters (like what was offered for sale back in the day) but they specialize in printing to canvas so I'm kicking around offering posters either by specific request or the whole series but what I found the most intriguing was the possibility of offering a limited run of the art works put on canvas. Obviously, the canvas would be higher priced but you'd have something that would look good on just about any wall or make a helluva holiday/birthday/wedding present. Whattaya all think? Is there a market? What kinds of price points ya reckon will fly?

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
I received this recently: "Hello Mad Mike! I was just digging thru old memorabilia and came across an August 1976 Rallye magazine with Toby's painting of the BMW 2002 rallying on the cover. Do you still have the original? Did you ever make prints? Are either for sale?"
OK - I've brought this up a couple times here in the past couple of years but never got enough feedback to make it worthwhile chasing down another supplier after the one mentioned above in OKC bailed without so much as a f--- you very much. I now have a solid estimate from a Tulsa company for creating posters of the Stratos, Porsche and/or BMW in the 17" x 22" size like what John Power and Rallye Magazine offered back in the 1970s. These would make great holiday gifts for that hard-to-please rally fanatic and if you REALLY want to impress him/her they can print these wonderful old rally cars on canvas!

The plan would be to offer posters of one painting at a time until I sell five of a given painting. I'd need to charge $40 for a poster or $110 for a canvas print, plus postage/handling. Once five of each painting have been delivered I'll make the early adopters an offer to get the other two at a significantly reduced price.

I have a framed copy of one of the original Stratos posters hanging beside my desk but sold the Porsche one in the linked pic to the Bogerts. I think the pic gives an idea of how great these posters look matted and framed. Here's the link to the pic ... http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Misc/Rallye21.jpg

So let me know if you are interested in one or more posters/canvas prints and I'll see what I can finagle in time for the holidays. International shipping will be offered. If you're curious about the artist Google or Wiki Toby Nippel.

#9 ·
I'm taking the Stratos painting to get the digitization in the works this afternoon. Expect the new posters to look WAY more vibrant and colorful
than the pics of those original Rallye Magazine posters that have spent almost 40 years behind plain old glass ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.