1985 Audi 4000 Quattro Rally Car Build - Page 11
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 1985 Audi 4000 Quattro Rally Car Build

Default Missouri Ozark Rally (MOR) Update

Missouri Ozark Rally Update:

We competed at the first Missouri Ozark Rally (MOR) and had our best finish ever. 1st in class (NA4WD) and 2nd overall. The trophies were walnut engraved paddles (the area we race in has some very nice canoeing areas). Very happy with the result. We held off some fast teams that were struggling with some issues so we know we are going to need to pickup the pace at 100AW.

Car did great and it was good to get my brother back in the drives seat after almost a year.
    Stage 2 was a little loose as my brother knocked the rust off and got back in the grove. The video below shows the first water dip that almost ended our event but the ditch kept us out of the trees and everything was smooth after that.
    We were still using the old soft compound tires we will break the new tires in at 100AW.
    Enjoy the pictures and videos. I will post some updates as we install an oil cooler before 100AW and take care of some new wiring rules and do some tuning.

-Kendal-

Audi 4000 Quattro Rally Car #154 [1(Road) 5(Cylinders) 4(Wheel Drive)]
    Audi 4000 Quattro Rally Car Build 1
    Audi 4000 Quattro Rally Car Build 2
    "but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:20

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

-Kendal-

"but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:20

-Kendal-

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

-Kendal-

Just a few more pictures of the car and the first place trophies.

-Kendal-

2019 100 Acre Wood Rally did not go as we would have liked.
    The car only made it to Stage 4 before low oil pressure caused a rod knock. We pulled over on stage and had heavy sweep pull us to the end. Not bad for an engine that we put together in 2013 and outlived the first rally car shell.
    It spun the #1 rod bearing. Pictures are below along with a video of stage 4 when the rod started knocking.
    We experienced some strange low oil pressure on stage 3, possilbe the oil bypass in the oil pump was sticking open.
    We hope to save the crank because it was balanced but we will see.

We still plan on making it to Ohio. The engine is apart and will go to the machine shop on Monday.
    It sure would have been a good weekend for us, conditions were great. We will rebuild and come back stronger.
    Enjoy the pictures and the videos

Waiting for Stage 1

Stage 4 So sad to Stop on Stage

Pictures of the engine failure

-Kendal-

Check out the in car video of us passing our good friends Andy Ecker and Adam Hardin in the 1991 Jetta (#122). They lost their passenger rear tire just as we pull out to pass them. Look for the wheel on the in car video, 0:23. Crazy

We had no idea until we watched the video

-Kendal-

Stage 1

-Kendal-

Kendal the rod looks bent also, is that normal with a bad rod bearing/low oil pressure? Do you know what caused the low oil pressure issue?

Best of luck to you at SOFR, i am going to try to get my car done in time but I might be volunteering instead.

Quote Originally Posted by FRANK G. View Post
    Kendal the rod looks bent also, is that normal with a bad rod bearing/low oil pressure? Do you know what caused the low oil pressure issue?

Best of luck to you at SOFR, i am going to try to get my car done in time but I might be volunteering instead.
    I am not sure about the bent rod. I tried to search to see if the bent rod is typical with this type of failure but could not find a definite answer.
    The cause of the low oil pressure we think was a sticking pressure relief valve in the oil pump. I will disassemble the oil pump and see if anything looks wrong. The pressure relief valve had some scoring on it and it was a used oil pump with who knows how many miles on it.

I hope you get your car done but either way I hope you make it to the event. We are also unsure if our timeline is going to allow us to race at Ohio but we are going to try.

-Kendal-