Some Initial Mt. Hood Rally Info
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Initial Mt. Hood Rally Info

Default Some Initial Mt. Hood Rally Info

It's time to start revving up for the 2011 Mt. Hood Rally.

The event is going to be very similar to the 2009 rally, with Fir Mountain, the 17 Road, and Gilhouley all run a loop twice. This should give us about 58 stage miles, which will be a long Coefficient 2. We might see if we can eke out a bit more to make it a C3. The rally will once again be on Saturday, with recce on Friday. It is expected that the service, start, tech and finish locations will be the same as last year, although arrangements for all locations have not yet quite been finalized.

There will some changes to the event this year, however.

Simon Levear, founder and longstanding chairman of the rally, has decided to resign his position and move on to other things. Yours truly and Mark Tabor have agreed to be co-chairs for the 2011 event. Hopefully most of the other members of the organizing committee will continue in their positions.

Another change is that the event will be sanctioned and insured by Rally America this year. This, regrettably, means that there will be no RallyMoto at the Mt. Hood Rally for 2011.

We will work on reviving the web page and posting more information soon. Hopefully we can get registration info and Supps up there pretty quickly.

I hope this helps with your initial planning, and we'll look forward in seeing you in Parkdale next month.

Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

don't cut

Great news Ben!! Glad the event is in good hands and continuing on.

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Always happy to hear that fun rallies keep going. Has the date been finalized?

Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

So what you're saying is three of the best roads that are currently in use in the PNW? Awesome. I think it was Pastrana that said Gilhoeley was one of the funnest stages he had ever driven.
    What's the date?
    Estimated entry fee?
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

I knew I would forget some useful thing I meant to say, like for instance the date.

The event will be on Saturday, October 22. We will continue to do recce, and that will take place on Friday the 21st.

The main part of tech and registration will be Friday night (we may have some Saturday morning as well). The novice driver seminar will be Saturday morning. We are pretty much working off Simon's schedule for the last few years, so if you have some old Supps it should be similar. We hope to have new Supps and registration information available soon.

The event will count for the 2011 Pacific NorthWest Rally Championship (yeah, I know somebody is a little behind on updating the web page, I'll try to get to that this weekend) and the 2012 Rally America Pacific Northwest Rally Championship (LSPR is the last event for 2011, so even just one week following we count as 2012).

We are working on the budget right now; I would expect to see the entry fee about the same as last year. I think the early entry was in the mid-$400's, with a $20 rebate for complete paperwork in advance. Like I said, exact details will be in the Supps; we're working on some of this stuff this weekend.

More as I know it.

Ben
    2011 Mt. Hood co-Chair
    rallyben at gmail dot com
    Last edited by Ben; 09-02-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Space Cadet

200 square left

Ben,
    I am very interested in driving up(from San Diego) and running this event! A couple of items that I would like some input on when you can:
    -Will it be just one service location? How many service stops for the day(1, 2, 3?)
    -Any leads for someone in your neck of the woods that can help with service(Honda)? PM me if you could on this.
    -What will the weather be like(jk)?
    Thanks!
    George

Quote Originally Posted by mgd View Post
    Ben,
    I am very interested in driving up(from San Diego) and running this event! A couple of items that I would like some input on when you can:
    -Will it be just one service location? How many service stops for the day(1, 2, 3?)
    -Any leads for someone in your neck of the woods that can help with service(Honda)? PM me if you could on this.
    -What will the weather be like(jk)?
    We'd love to see you up here, George. I think you would enjoy the roads.

1. As presently written, there will be just one service location. The rally will also start and finish from that location. There will be probably just be one stop, but there might be a second. It's a three stage loop run twice, although we may look at running one stage three times for enough mileage to bump it up to a C3.

2. I'm sure we can find folks to help you with service, that won't be a problem. I can't guarantee a Honda wrench, but there's a fighting chance.

3. The weather at this event can be anything from sunny and mid-70's to snow (extremely rare). Plan on rain. They are good gravel roads that hold up well in the wet. In the interest of full disclosure, there is a 3/4 mile tarmac stretch on one of the stages, but that won't matter for tire selection.

I hope that helps; let me know if you have any other questions.

Ben

Already have my hotel room reserved, just waiting for the volunteer request to be posted. If La'Akea is working a stage again this year, I'll probably help her out.

200 square left

Thanks Ben for the info. Having the service stop be at the same place as the start and finish would be awesome as far as the logistics go - I could even do the service myself if I could not find any extra help.

George

50 caution yump

I already have a hotel room booked too. Thanks to everyone involved in organizing!
    Last edited by shiza; 09-03-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Dan Norkus
    shotgun