coaching on writing our own notes? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: coaching on writing our own notes?

Alex -- is that your Mardi Gras (or Carnaval) headdress? Do we need to bring beads to the afterparty for you?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks all for the help and advice for us newbies! We are greatly appreciative.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodegreec View Post
    [snippage] don't worry about the mileage marking for now.
    Have fun!
    Only time I really use the ODO while running notes is on transits...I do reset it at starts, but find it more helpful to mark obvious landmarks, like cattleguards, landmarks, signs, etc. into the notes to help keep on. Always look up to verify what your reading... FWIW, I usually add the route book instruction # into the notes for the events that have numbered stakes out to get back on if lost.

Regardless, drive what you see and have fun! Seeya at the afterparty!

Brent.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 oversquare right

I need to figure out how to import his stage into my RBR ...

which big hill can't you miss? is that the one i crashed on? i sorta beg to differ is so

drive what you see, and drive what you don't see. so in short, just drive.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

It's time for a sexy party! Joe Average's Avatar

You've only run a couple of events. Just run the route book.
    Work on learning on how to read the road. Half the rally will be run in the dark, you will be able to concentrate on what you see and how to react to the surroundings and the road surface.
    I'm running the route book only, I'm lucky enough to be with one of the best rally drivers in the country. He got that way by learning on how to read and react to the always changing road conditions.

Sean Gallagher
    Last edited by Joe Average; 08-12-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: love me some crispy bacon!

good stuff on here. for more info about learning to co-drive check out my co-driver's website: http://anthonyholden.com

I highly recommend taking John Dillon's widget codriver school (when he has it again) lots of great information discussed there. Albert and i went last year and it was money well spent.

As for the race, i'd avoid using any GPS and rely on what you're seeing... this is how it will be when you're driving the race anyway. Try to keep notes simple (consider not using +/- so that your brain can focus on driving and not extra verbal commands).

Indeed, the second pass should be just to refine your notes, if all is done well you won't need to redo a ton of writing.

Have your co-driver make notes of obvious landmarks in the margin (fence post, creek, junction) so that if he DOES get off the notes he has something to "re-sync" to easily.

I'm still a novice too, but these are some things that really helped me.

Good luck!

your other left, you idiot

Define what you will say (and do) WHEN you get lost in the notes (I still do). And don't take it personally.

Meaning - say "I'm lost", "I'm off", "You are on your own", but say something that you 2 agree on. And then figure out to get back on the notes (that's what the mileages and the landmarks are for). Some teams have the driver call what he/she is seeing and see if you can fit to what is written.

No + or -.

I almost never re-write an entire book or stage (too much chance for error).

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by 409industries View Post
    Have your co-driver make notes of obvious landmarks in the margin (fence post, creek, junction) so that if he DOES get off the notes he has something to "re-sync" to easily.
    press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

100 oversquare right

While i think its a great idea to avoid + / - ... I'll probably be putting those in. esp if there is several 3's in a row, with one a bit tighter than the other 2 ... but i did have a pretty bad off . which was due to being almost 2 off (4 should have been a 6) and it should have been a !!! instead of a !

Basically as the driver call out, what you need to hear, to be able to visualize that corner in your head. if all you need is 4L don't bother writing 4L- > < 4+ . and if 4L makes you draw the wrong mental picture, but 4L <> draws the correct one. do that.

what ever you do, for the love of dog (or god if you are not dyslexic) on maxy, (stage 2) IT IS NOT A '!6/ CREST " NO NO NO i'de say !!! 4L/Cr don't jump
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Quote Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
    don't jump
    just cause he calls it, doesn't mean the laws of physics will listen

remember, there is no spoon.

Last edited by UP2MTNS; 08-24-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    (the other) Jon Burke
    I drive a Sub-a-rat
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-B...13428728700857
    Team Blog: Up Two Mountains Rally Team

"...when it comes to racing and sushi, I never look at the bill." - Foust