coaching on writing our own notes?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: coaching on writing our own notes?

Default coaching on writing our own notes?

We will be going to Gorman and as novice drivers, we don't have a lot of experience (read: none) in writing our own notes. We have a pretty good game plan

1) Make sure our Timewise rally odometer is running an accurate tire correction factor so that it matches what a true milage is on a Garmin GPS.
    2) Drive the recce with our tow vehicle with the Garmin
    3) Driver (me) calls out what I see and want noted as we progress through the stages along with milage
    4) re-pass the recce with the co driver reading his new notes and making corrections
    5) cleanup and transcribe the notes that night to a clean notebook for easy reading

Does this sound about right? Am I missing anything?

I assume that we will have a Route Book to take with us on recce that has major turns and obstacles listed with GPS accurate milage, right?

If anybody would be willing to give some newbies a little coaching on a con-call, we will reciprocate with Tequilla at the after party. In lieu of Tequilla, we can bring gatorade

Thanks

SeanP

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 oversquare right

sounds solid except I would avoid getting mileage by Garmin like the plague.

Instead i would set your tow vehicle tires to a tire pressure you can recce at. drive it Exactly 1/2 mile on its odometer, and have someone drive your rally car behind (exact same difference) now look at the rally car odo mileage.

tow rig says 0.5 miles rally car says 0.62 or it says 0.45 it doesn't matter how far its off, just write down what it came out to.
    drive a 1/2 mile further. tow rig says 1.0 rally car says 1.24 or 0.90 (twice what it did before) Great

now while writing notes every 1/2 mile via the tow rig just mark down the tow rig mileage

when you convert your notes do the math and write down what your rally car will say.

GPS based mileage does horrible with hills. did you notice that the Mendocino mileage would be off for 5 calls, then perfectly on for a few ?
    they made it with GPS (guessing but i've volunteered for other rallies that did for sure make it with gps, and the in car odo would sync up at times)
    do you want that again? no, okay . don't use a gps for your mileage.

a few tricks you can and should use.
    One print out a jemba map / photo (picture of a 1R - 6 Right) i photo shopped one to have both left and right. if you are confused about what number a corner is refer to your photo.

2nd trick. you can tape your steering wheel and put marks on your dash. if IF you drive at a steady constant speed you can actually calibrate the notches on your dash . and you can basically just drive and read how far you had to turn the wheel. that only works if you hug one side of the road and never have to alter your speed. so i've never tried it that way ... (but it would work , if you can drive that steady speed)

I crashed last year due to a mistake i made in recce . when in dought mark the corner as lower (or put more cautions around the jump) :d
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Dramamine is for DramaQueens Morison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
    2nd trick. you can tape your steering wheel and put marks on your dash.
    or, put several marked pieces of tape on your steering wheel and a referenc on your dash. That way you are bringing the corner grade into your line of sight. A constant speed doesn't make a difference to the grading but can help with making notes.

Biggest tip is don't get wrapped up in a lot of detail. Make your notes consistent before making them detailed.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the tips. Brilliant tip on getting the tow rig and and rally car milage calibrated, Alex. I did run around town with the rally car yesterday with a Garmin and the tire factor is actually pretty damn close 4.4miles (Garmin) vs. 4.33 (rally car).

If you can Recce with the rally car. Seat time is seat time. Plus the road looks different in a truck than car.

don't worry about the mileage marking for now. Put them in once you are comfortable with the very basics. If you get lost on stage, mileage markings don't help very much. Make notes on distinctive elements like road signs or buildings etc. Wheel spin and driving a racing line throws your odo off slightly during the run.

When re-writing notes do one page at a time and review it before moving on. DON'T second guess the notes after the fact.

Have fun!
    Bryan L.
    Maker of those intercom adapters and "stuff"
    www.zerodegreec.ca

^^what these guys said.....don't get too detailed or too stressed about it. We still don't record mileage (at least not on every line).

Its good you're coming off Mendocino for this one...gorman is very similar, lots of 2's and 3's connected (PowerLine literally is like this for almost 8 straight miles: L2 into R2 into L2 into R2 into L3 into R3 into L2 into R2 into......) Expect to get lost on that one.

the big difference is on the few short straights that they have...expect to catch some epic air
    (the other) Jon Burke
    I drive a Sub-a-rat
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-B...13428728700857
    Team Blog: Up Two Mountains Rally Team

"...when it comes to racing and sushi, I never look at the bill." - Foust

Dramamine is for DramaQueens Morison's Avatar

Look for mileages at least once per page. Same goes with visual markers. On the second pass, look for visual markers that are close to, but before, significant corners.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

We made notes on our 4th rally, it was our 1st time writing notes,a and 3rd rally on notes. I HATED it with a passion. It was frustrating, difficult, and completely NOT confidence inspiring. after we ran the first stage at speed, realized we did a decent job after all. What I am trying to say is it will be ok whatever you come up with. You are not going fast enough yet to need perfect notes, just concentrate on getting any of the gotcha's down, like turns after crests, a series of fast corners to a slow corner, anything that tightens a lot, off camber, and anything at the end of a long straight. All the rest should be just a basic note. Don't worry about "don't cut", just don't cut any corners.

Don't expect to be good at it right off. Don't over do it. Remember to take food and water. cary a spare, and fill the tank.

One of the major problems we had was the organizer had not marked all of the stages yet, so we missed a junction on the longest stage and made notes off into no where and got lost. Ran out of time to do a second pass on most of the stages.
    1986 Group5 Merkur XR4Ti
    Sean and Jenne Medcroft

So long & thx for all the fish jds's Avatar

As personal preference I wouldn't rewrite the notes in a new notebook, just clean-up the one from recce. Completely rewriting the notes gives too many opportunities for transcription errors.
    KI6UGL
    www.jonathanschiller.com
    On my world everyone is a pony and we all eat rainbows and poop butterflies.

If you have an incar camera it helps as a reference when you are cleaning up the notes at the hotel. You may also pick-up the landmark ques that you missed when you were doing recce. I did my first recce with a very experience Co-driver. We elected to use "short", "medium" and "long" straights instead of trying to get the distances. This worked for us. Whatever you do you need to be consistent.