Special Stage Forums banner

More Mazda contengency money going out.

15K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Dante 
#1 ·
Just processed a stack of Mazdaspeed Motorsports contingency forms from Dave Henderson.

Olympus:
Day one Hendo and Terrence McDowell brought the Mazda3 in first in Group2, but since we count all the 2WD cars together, we counted it as second behind Tom and Don Burress in their G5 GTI (wait a minute, Group5 GTI? What does that thing have in it?). That's $200. He was also the first Mazda to finish, which is another $200.

Day two, similar story. A few positions farther up the overall leaerboard, a few seconds closer to Burress, and another $400.

Oregon Trail:
Day one, Hendo and McDowell parked the Mazda3 in 4th overall, 30 seconds ahead of Dave and Richard Hintz in their M3. That was good enough for first 2WD ($400) and first Mazda ($200) for a $600 day.

Day two, the Hintz boys squeeked past, leaving Hendo again in 4th overall, but 2nd in 2wd ($200) and again 1st Mazda ($200)

$1800 check is in the mail (or credit is going on the card, or whatever it is we do).

Unless he's made some changes I'm not aware of, Hendo is taking all the money with a junkyard engine, a header, a reflashed ECU, stock Mazda5 springs, and off-the-shelf Bilstein HD shocks.

Way to go, Hendo! Making the most from the least is the Mazda way!

That money is up for grabs to anyone in any Mazda, by the way, you guys don't have to let him take all of it...

-Dave Coleman
somewhere in the bowels of Mazda R&D

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, way to go Dave, he was screaming fast at Idaho too btw..

wow $1800 ... so far subaru has paid me... oh zero. :( maybe i should switch teams? hehehe

#4 ·
That money is up for grabs to anyone in any Mazda, by the way, you guys don't have to let him take all of it...
Lets say its a mazda on the outside, but maybe the heart of something else on the inside.

that probably wouldn't fly would it?

#9 ·
Sadly, I think there are already rules in place to prevent that kind of creativity. I'm really itching to do a 1st gen RX-7 with a hayabusa engine swap (http://www.motoiq.com/projects/project_mazda_miatabusa.aspx), but that damn engines-from-the-same-manufacturer rule is still in place, isn't it? I wonder if the fact that Suzuki makes the Mazda Scrum for us would help....

-Dave

#6 ·
Mazda2 can accept a lot the R2 Fiesta parts. Suspension is bolt on. Brakes maybe. Dave can chime in what works, but I think you need the Fiesta motor/harness but that is all drop in.

#12 ·
you know, the way i read it, i really could run a different motor

- Mazda Contingency Awards are available for select categories and classes of racing. Eligible vehicles must fit within 3 categories:
1. Mazda production vehicle using stock chassis with modified or stock bodywork
2. Mazda-powered vehicle with tube-frame chassis using approved Mazda "silhouette" bodywork
3. Mazda-powered purpose-built race vehicles (sports racing car and formula/open wheel cars) using a Mazda production powerplant
under #1, it is a Mazda production vehicle and it is a stock chassis and body work.

the other 2 wouldn't apply to me because i fall within #1.

like in the case of #3, what part other then the motor would be mazda, it's just reverse for #1.

thoughts?

#17 ·
I'm with you 100%. 2WD traction is enough of a limiting factor to make G2 and G5 essentially identical classes. Just make them one already! CRS has been doing that for decades and last time I looked (long time ago) the only time a G5 car won the G2/5 championship was when I did it with a non-turbo Sentra that only fell into G5 on a technicality (2.5 liters X multipliers for variable valve timing and 4 valves per cylinder) but performed just like a G2 car.

-Dave

#21 ·
Eric,
Sorry yours took so long. I always have to spend lots of time sorting through 2WD results since RA doesn't report results the same way we score them (all 2WD cars together, combined national and regional, scored per day). It wasn't until finally dug yours our from under an avalanche on my desk and got around to doing the 2WD math that I remembered you were 4WD and really easy to score.

Nice job, by the way. Way to fly the Mazda flag high!

-Dave

#23 ·
Erik= Last of the 4WD for sure. S*D was perfect for my GTX- wheelspin in 5th says it all! Ha

Now worries on the time, same as last year. So I knew it was coming. And the rally car spends it pretty quickly...Thanks for the help!

PS Saw you in the ZoomZoom mag w the Miata too. Nice article.

#25 ·
Another "thank you" to Mazda and Mazdaspeed, this time for their SCCA RallyCross contingency program. $500 for second place in class at the national championship.
There's no good reason in my mind not to bring your stage rally cars out and cash in at the national challenges ($200 for first in any class) and the national championship event ($750 for first).

#26 ·
Just processed a few more rally contingency forms Barrett Dash in my old Mazda3. He's getting $200 from day2 at Oregon Trail (day 1 was under the 30-mile minimum to count as a real rally in our eyes, and day 3 was a DNF, so it's a good thing we're paying per day!), $200 from Idaho Rally day 1, $200 from day 2, and another $200 from day 1 at Olympia.

Looking through the results, I also saw there was a Jarred Swalwell running an FC RX-7 at OTR who hadn't bothered to sign up (and properly sticker his car) for the Mazdaspeed contengency program. We would have sent him $100 for OTR day 2 and $200 from day 2 if he was signed up. There are probably other rallies out there he could be getting paid for too. If anyone knows him, smack him up side the head and give him a Mazda sticker!

-Dave Coleman

#27 ·
Hi Dave,

It would be great if you guys would offer monetary support for CARS events north of the border. It would make my decision on what car to rally that much easier since there's a Mazda for sale that needs a bit of work not to far from me :)

Thanks,

Jeff

#29 ·
Card got recharged!

Woohoo- Thanks Mazdaspeed and especially Dave Coleman for his help again.

Just lost out by 15 sec. to 1st place Evan Cline in Sno Regional. Got ~2min back on The Ranch to make it close. Oh well still 1st Open for both Regionals. 4th o/a on that stage, the GTX is unreal on the tight rough stuff!

EZ

#31 ·
The SCCA is set to reintroduce rallysprints (cages required, not sure about logbooks) in 2015, I wonder if the contingency program will be extended to the sprints? It'd be awesome to see them recieve similar support to that of the rallycross program, but admit that it's tough to has out details on a contingency program when classing information hasn't been released as of yet. Mazda's support of all motorsport is fantastic and one of the reasoning that i'm building a BG chassis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.