Bill Fogg Interview on "Tech House and Speed" Show
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Fogg Interview on "Tech House and Speed" Show

Default Bill Fogg Interview on "Tech House and Speed" Show

Interview

Anyone else listen to this? Thoughts?
    Our number-one value isnt in any of the skills we have. Its that were essentially curious. - Jim Coudal

"Here on the team, we talk about upgrading the software (your brain) instead of the hardware (car)." - John Cassidy

Experience:
    • 2011 Gorman Ridge Rally Volunteer (ATC, STC and FTC)

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Just did. Thanks for the link. Hopefully things will get easier for organizers to put on superb events and it sounds like it will. I'd still like to know how we are going to grow the competition. Aside from offering marketing tools I didn't catch much on that topic.
    Revolutionary Sports Team
    Youtube - Twitter - Facebook

100 oversquare right

Hopefully he finds some good ways to have streaming coverage of events. even non live streams with in a week of the event would be pretty cool and a good step forward towards cutting costs down.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Interesting statements about sponsorship - has RA had any tire sponsorship? I'm sure they were somewhat involved in the Hankook contingency of yore.

Not thrilled about the idea of adding more events to the National Championship - 6 seemed pretty reasonable. Should the current six be the only national events ever? Heck no - a rotation system could be good, and we could even do it better than the WRC... (You know, have EVERY event rotate...)

lost but making good time

I liked his enthusiasm for the sport and really liked his comments on live streaming video.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    W5CPT

Alex, explain how streaming video helps cut costs down. Doesn't Rally America have streaming video (albeit not live) already with Bill Woods' RAM TV reports?
    Lawrence Partington

TV2GO Toronto

LSPR speccie/worker & YBJ fan JTYooper's Avatar

From seeing a few FB posts, it looks like Bill Fogg was up at LSPR? If so, did he enjoy his first experience? How many stages did he go to, and which ones? Just curious...
    John T.

LSPR - "Oldest, Toughest, Meanest Rally on the Circuit"
    NATIONAL!! Thu-Sat Oct 16-18, 2014 | Houghton - Covington - L'anse

LSProRally.com | facebook.com/LSProRally | @lsprorally

LSPR 2013 flyers - General | Volunteer | Spectator | Biz Card

"Watching rally is like traveling to a series of middles of nowhere."
    Johnny Loftus, Detroit MetroTimes - S*D 2007

"And rallying, Im afraid, is a sport for the terminally gormless."
    Jeremy Clarkson

100 oversquare right

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Partington View Post
    Alex, explain how streaming video helps cut costs down. Doesn't Rally America have streaming video (albeit not live) already with Bill Woods' RAM TV reports?
    selling Ads. back in 96-02 You could sell ads "non targeted" at about 1000 views per $25 targeted views you can get more from, but the .com melt down , and other economic issues have taken a small bite out of that.

you can also embed products /and advertisements into the streams themselves.

If /when someone sets up a site that generates a good amount of ad views per each visitor . (say a visitor comes to your site and watches videos for an hour) and you generate 15 ad views. times 10K viewers = 150K ad views X $25 = $3,750 (per event) who knows, Maybe Ra needs $750 to recoup bandwidth and administration costs. leaves 3K profit

maybe they pocket 1K and send 2K onto the event organizer. organizer in turn uses the 2K to reduce entry costs. only $50 for a 40 competitor field, but it has to start somewhere right? (and that's a lot better than costs going up by $50)

but if this can be grown to 100k viewers per rally , now we are talking some big money , like an extra 37K generated by an event (also now with 100K viewers selling the naming rights has some value as well) so maybe Motel 6 gives the rally organizer $5k to call it the Lake Superior Motel 6 rally. and RA kicks down 25K of the internet based ad revenue , now the event has 30K to use to help cover costs and entry fees go WAY down.

we would start to see a domino affect. $750 and no coverage may net 40 competitors. but $200 and Internet exposure (100K views) would probably net more competitors. 60? who knows..

NFL averaged 16.6 million per game last year. and i think nascar gets around 10 million per race. we just need 1% of that to see a very profound affect on rally. (depending on profit taking) hehehe

at least through my rosey glasses that's what it looks like.
    Last edited by A1337STI; 10-17-2011 at 12:01 PM.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

I suspect Lawrence is saying that live streaming still has production costs. You can broadcast it nominally free (although there's still sat link/net/communications/disk space, only the internet part is free) but you still need cameramen, sound, editing, interviewers, producer, and you have to get those folks to the event, put them in hotels, pay for food, gas, rental cars etc. Plus camera and sound equipment, repair, maintenance... all the same stuff as TV.

There's a perceived but false difference between TV broadcast and live streaming - that the different format allows for less intensive production. There's a sense that for streaming you can just turn the camera on and let people watch whatever's happening.

You could, but that will fill only fill niche needs. You can get great driver interviews that way. Great service action. But stage action is very difficult to make exciting - minute-for-minute that has way less content than the interviews and service. I can tell you that cameramen stand in the field for hours and hours to capture mere seconds of good footage. And ultimately, production values are still production values. And if you're not producing an interesting story, you're not bringing in any more audience than people who would stand and watch it happen live but just can't get there. The vast population has busy schedules and short attention spans. You need to make the broadcast shorter, and you need to tease out and reassemble the story.

The WRC just did a live stream experiement that cost 500,000GBP. And it was only a toe in the water. For an event.

That said, I think the live stream can be excellent, can work very well for rally, and can be made to be great. It's just not free. I actually think 2012 will be very exciting on this front.

BTW, returning to the original subject line here, I've spoken with Bill, and I think we have a very great partner here. Great guy, great ideas, and the traction to make them happen. And very importantly, he really likes rally. I'm impressed.

ACP
    Last edited by Andrew Comrie Picard; 10-18-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Fleshed out

your other left, you idiot

He was??????

Quote Originally Posted by JTYooper View Post
    From seeing a few FB posts, it looks like Bill Fogg was up at LSPR? If so, did he enjoy his first experience? How many stages did he go to, and which ones? Just curious...
    press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy