Special Stage Forums banner

MaxAttack 2WD Rules?

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Eric Burmeister 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm debating about a car purchase and wanted to know is there a list of rules for the cars (other than they must be 2WD) for MaxAttack! ? Forgive me if they're posted... I've looked and haven't been very successful.

The biggest concern is engine swaps. What are you allowed/not allowed to do?

Thanks everyone,
Greg McMahon
Zodow.com
#67 Toyota MR2 (SCCA RallyCross)

#2 ·
What are the rules of MaxAttack!?
from http://www.max-attack.com/faq

MaxAttack! is an overlay championship. We use the rules of the sanctioning body that is sanctioning the rally we are visiting at the time, as well as the event's supplemental rules. In other words, the car must be legal to compete in some class according to the rules of the sanctioning body and of the event, and the competitors must follow the competition rules of the sanctioning body and of the event. The only rule specific to MaxAttack! is that the car MUST be two-wheel drive.

The sanctioning body for MaxAttack! events is currently Rally America. Their complete rules are at their website:

#3 ·
Ah thank you!

So what I'm looking at (I might as well spill the beans) is a 80's MR2 with a 90's Turbo 2.0L MR2 engine in it. From what I've read, that would be a Group 5 Class? My reasoning is:
The engine is derived from a product line offered by the manufacturer of the vehicle (Toyota)
and it's forced induction so not Group 2.

Thanks again,
Greg

#5 ·
Thanks.

It is not a logbooked car - it would have to be built still. That's the next debate I need to battle in my head - build or buy used. I know buying used is typically the best choice but I may be able to get it built for less than $6K (including the car) but I need to do more research to prove I can or cannot do that.

I did hear that about forced induction cars so I will have to look into what to do for an exemption. Or if I even want to be exempt! Less power might be a good thing...

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate the experienced voice.

#7 ·
Hahaha, yes I've got 2 sitting in the drive way... (not built either but fully running cars) I'm starting to think they're like rabbits. I don't know how I've already had 3 of them and I'm not sure where this possible new one came from either.

I'll look into him/them though.

#11 ·
Hi Greg. Welcome to MaxAttack!

As far as I'm concerned, this is how it works. Go out and look under your car. If no more than 2 wheels have a shaft going to them, then in my mind, you're legal! As for making sure you can actually enter an event with your car, you have to take that up with RA and their rulebook. :)

Look forward to seeing you on the stages!

Lurch

#14 · (Edited)
Hahaha, that's what I like to hear! Thanks, Lurch.

What if you entered as Exhibition only ? or some other condition where they won't score you? Like a ford motor in an RX-7, but you got some agreement to be allowed to run, but they won't award you points, trophies, etc, ?

:) (Just being curious, saw in an other thread someone maybe got some sorta exception thingy)
I think I'm too competitive to not run for points, trophies, etc so I'd like to stick to a class if possible. I suppose if they shoot me down for whatever reason I'll just cage one of the other MR2s. My goal is to build this one first though.

I would suggest that a first-gen MR2 will be challenging enough for your first few rallies without adding the 2.0 Turbo to the mix. From what I've seen, they tend to be reasonably entertaining to drive on gravel in stock form.

Adrian

'
Thanks for the input, Adrian, but I am not sure why a MK1 MR2 will be any more challenging than any other 2wd car in my first few rallies. Are you referring to mechanical wise? Drivability wise? Other? I don't intend to come across as rude - I am just not sure what your statement really means so I am explaining my confusion and thoughts:

Although my experience thus far has been SCCA RallyCross I have had nothing but good experiences with the car's handling. In the last two years I have had great success with nearly two stock rear wheel drive national championship wins (I lost the first one on day 2 due to ignition coil becoming unplugged out on course) and a recent 5th place fastest times of the day - out of all classes. My biggest problems with the first gen MR2s seems to be keeping dirt OUT of the engine and engine bay. Although I will admit, the first time I understeered and oversteered at the same time was a surprise.

Granted, I don't know what happens with the car on gravel above 50mph but I am fortunate to have a place near by (C.O.R.E.) where I can find out before I'm on a real stage.

I understand where you're coming from with the whole engine swap because it is easy to be stupid with only 100HP. I would be attempting to do all of this with one of my regular 1.6L N/A MR2s (which was the original plan) if it weren't for my recent obsession with the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb. I spent this year's climb crewing for my friend, Val in his V8 Audi A4, and got hooked to do a little bit more than SCCA RallyCross in the upcoming years. Needless to say, the MR2 was moving but very slowly half way up the mountain - I could only describe the top (at flat out) as a Sunday drive. I wanted more power but I also wanted stock, reliable power and thus the MK2 turbo in my MK1 MR2 sounded like a good idea.

#12 ·
What if you entered as Exhibition only ? or some other condition where they won't score you? Like a ford motor in an RX-7, but you got some agreement to be allowed to run, but they won't award you points, trophies, etc, ?

:) (Just being curious, saw in an other thread someone maybe got some sorta exception thingy)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.