NASA Rally Sport: New event program - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NASA Rally Sport: New event program

The idea of long stage rallies is getting harder and harder to maintain. Even places like Oregon and Washington which have enough local rallyists to support full events are having troubles finding roads. Towing is expensive. Regional focus is the way to go. 2WD and Open Light are the only sustainable classes in my opinion so the only ones that will be allowed at any event I organize. If we can build up to a point where there are 4-5 of these within 2-6 hours of Denver I have no doubt we'd keep growing and bringing in more competitors. If we could attract the 16 year old go kart crowd we could really grow and maybe find some real decent drivers with natural talent. The series winners could get an all expense paid entry into the regional championship rally at Idaho the following June. You see where i'm going. Growth and sustainability. Thanks Anders for helping pave the way to executing my master plan!
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

When I went to O'Neil's there was a CRC guy that got a rookie of the year or something and had either a full paid, or partial paid 4 day course.

IMO single events with things like cash payouts are good stuff to reel people in, but then they want it at every event and might not show up if they don't provide that. Make a payout for a championship finishing position, and you might get more people showing up to several events.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

100 oversquare right

I definitely agree 2wd, and OL are cheaper to race in. both from a "good entry level car" to a fully built wonder car.

Also i really like your (or the) idea of giving free or discounted entry rates to other events, instead of cold cash. as they should be a bit less likely to run off to an other sport if their entry to the next event is paid, or heavily discounted.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

People's Republik of Cambridge & 'Zuma Costa Rica

Quote Originally Posted by Abington Rally View Post
    Great idea!
    I could see something like this working in many places, especially southern new england where there might not be enough roads to do a full-blown rally, but there are definitely some state/logging company roads that could be mix and matched to make an event like this possible.
    Now I just gotta make friends with that guy up the street that owns the logging company....
    Fantastic Anders!

Much to talk about at Turnaround @ NEFR Dan....
    "What would Steve Zissou do?"

100 oversquare right

Quote Originally Posted by granthughes View Post
    2WD and Open Light are the only sustainable classes in my opinion so the only ones that will be allowed at any event I organize.
    I don't understand why you would only allow those 2 classes? If you want to give them some kind of prefferance, that's okay. But why would you exclude my entry if I'm in another class. Unless you're rich and don't really need any entries. Real confused here.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
    I don't understand why you would only allow those 2 classes? If you want to give them some kind of prefferance, that's okay. But why would you exclude my entry if I'm in another class. Unless you're rich and don't really need any entries. Real confused here.
    Agreed. Until you run out of slots, why would you turn away entries? Just because you don't think it's sustainable? What does that mean? The class isn't sustainable?

I think *any* competitor showing up with a car is a valid person until you have a wait list. But hey - it's your rallysprint.
    Eric Wages
    Dirty Rallysport / facebook.com/dirtyrallysport / youtube.com/dirtyrallysport
    K1WRX
    2014 Sponsors: Innovative Tuning | KNS Brakes | Exhale Performance | Triple Caution | RallyTools

North America Cage Builder's Map

This is exactly how the Doo Wop series got started back in 1988.

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

But why would you exclude my entry if I'm in another class.
    I think Grant would exclude your entry because you're 2500 miles away.

The idea may not be so crazy, given Grant's scenario. He's not where you (or Eric) is (an area with any existing competitors). Right now, there's no one to exclude at all. So if he made that choice, all the cars that were built would fit those classes. And so again, no one to exclude.

It's a big country, and the amount of unique circumstances that fit in different areas is large.

Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

eating dust taking photos KevinG5Hahn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
    I think Grant would exclude your entry because you're 2500 miles away.

The idea may not be so crazy, given Grant's scenario. He's not where you (or Eric) is (an area with any existing competitors). Right now, there's no one to exclude at all. So if he made that choice, all the cars that were built would fit those classes. And so again, no one to exclude.

It's a big country, and the amount of unique circumstances that fit in different areas is large.

Anders

Well Grant's plan may end up excluding two, possibly three, competitors that in the past have proven willing to consider entering small scale and low key local events to help support the local community. I would say let them enter but only have OL and 2wd as "scored" classes if that is going to be part of your strategy...
    Kevin Hahn
    KevinHahnPhotography.com
    "altitude just means not lifting..."

People's Republik of Cambridge & 'Zuma Costa Rica

Agreed, the idea of not allowing a class of car because someone has decided it’s not sustainable is paradoxical, and self-fulfilling. Kinda reminds me of the scene in Blazing Saddles when the town had a plan to prevent being pillaged and needed help, yet the leaders said "We'll take the chinks and the niggers, but we won't take the Irish.” Please don't allow prejudice to get in the way of success. PAX
    "What would Steve Zissou do?"