NASA Rally Sport: New event program - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: NASA Rally Sport: New event program

What are we looking at for stage lengths?

Obviously this would vary quite a bit as the country is so different, but I have a hard time finding a continuous gravel road in southern New England longer than about 6 or 7 miles.

Being that the population density and rally density is pretty high in the New York to Boston area,and I know some badass roads that are smack dab in between the Big Apple and Bean Town, it would be cool to organize an event down here, I just worry the roads might not be long enough.
    Dan
    "This ain't asphalt, son, this is dirt, you don't have three-wheel brakes, so you got to pitch it hard, break it loose and then just drive it with the throttle. Give it too much, you'll be outta the dirt and into the tulips; I'll put it simple, if you goin' hard enough left, you'll find yourself turnin' right. -Doc Hudson

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K right 4

Is the halo that huge of a deal that it cant run a rally sprint? They are in all other types of racing that can roll and hit round polls. All these events have insurance.

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abington Rally View Post

Obviously this would vary quite a bit as the country is so different, but I have a hard time finding a continuous gravel road in southern New England longer than about 6 or 7 miles.
    6 or 7 miles would be great. It's all turnarounds, so you wouldn't want to go longer than that anyway, plus it makes lots of other stuff easier, like comms and coverage.

Cheers,
    Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Abington Rally View Post

Being that the population density and rally density is pretty high in the New York to Boston area,and I know some badass roads that are smack dab in between the Big Apple and Bean Town, it would be cool to organize an event down here, I just worry the roads might not be long enough.
    Let me know if you want any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
    I don't understand how NEHA does it. Unless it's just like we were in the good old SCCA days. You can do it until the s*&t hits the fan. When we ran NEHA Burke Mt hillclimb 3 weeks ago, the break out time was 2:30, The fastest we ran was a 2:39. a young (remember compared to me, 30 is young) female with a basicly stock newer Legacy with sticky wide tires on ran a 2:37 with just a helmet. Go figure.
    Neha has a history of running safe events, predating many folks here including myself. The rule works for Neha because they've put a lot of work into making it work. It may very well change in the future, but that is up to the membership to decide at the annual rules meeting. Up until this decade, the break out rule didn't exist. The desire for it came about when the new breed of awd turbo cars started showing up to the hill.
    We have an excellent safety record, and aspire to keep it that way. A vast majority of the cars run caged.

I can tell you I have hillclimbed without a cage. I can also tell you that I sure as hell didn't push nearly as hard as when I have a cage in the car. I've also crashed hillclimbing(caged).

And Don, don't lose heart, the legacy driver isn't exactly a rookie, she normally double drives the 832 sti with her husband(2:16 at burke), but with Mt washington I don't think they wanted to stress the car.

100 oversquare right

Quote Originally Posted by sachilles View Post
    Neha has a history of running safe events, predating many folks here including myself. The rule works for Neha because they've put a lot of work into making it work. It may very well change in the future, but that is up to the membership to decide at the annual rules meeting. Up until this decade, the break out rule didn't exist. The desire for it came about when the new breed of awd turbo cars started showing up to the hill.
    We have an excellent safety record, and aspire to keep it that way. A vast majority of the cars run caged.

I can tell you I have hillclimbed without a cage. I can also tell you that I sure as hell didn't push nearly as hard as when I have a cage in the car. I've also crashed hillclimbing(caged).

And Don, don't lose heart, the legacy driver isn't exactly a rookie, she normally double drives the 832 sti with her husband(2:16 at burke), but with Mt washington I don't think they wanted to stress the car.
    Thanks for the info.

People's Republik of Cambridge & 'Zuma Costa Rica

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
    6 or 7 miles would be great. It's all turnarounds, so you wouldn't want to go longer than that anyway, plus it makes lots of other stuff easier, like comms and coverage.
    Agreed, ideally the stage would be a big loop so start and finish are ~100meters apart. And the furthest point away from start/finish in the stage is < than the range of 5 watt radios (~3miles).
    "What would Steve Zissou do?"

into right 2 tightens

Nemadji Trail originally had only one road - about 8.5 miles. Down and back, and call it a rally. They've now added a section of intersecting road for variety, but the concept remains the same. A dozen cars is a pretty good turnout, and it's financially viable at that level.

Bruce