Couple of other notes on Ham radio
# 1 if you have a radio you should be licenced ( and it's not hard to get a ham licence) , but in an emergency.......

- you'd likely be better to use " net control this is car # ?? " to get their attention, and a car calling is is an attention getter !

- rally radio nets are busy and confusing, trying to follow what's going on can make your head hurt, during the event, the inside of our net control's van looks like the result of an explosion in a Post-it note factory. Keep in mind if you are listening, initial reports of any incidents are not likely to be accurate. One event I did closing for a front running car went off, as the reports came in second hand from following cars - they were off the road @ ??? km & were OK ( first and most useful report ), had gone off a cliff, rolled several times, were on fire, etc. etc. When we got to the scene, they had rolled once down a gentle 15' hill and just couldn't get back up the wet grass without a quick tug, the smoke reported was steam, - 5 minutes later we had them back in the rally.

- If you do come upon a serious accident and try to use the radio, by all means try it, BUT radio transmission in remote areas are wierd things- you may very well not be able to get through - if it doesn't work right away, don't waste time - follow the emergency procedure as if there was no radio in the car. This point was illustrated on one event I worked as a radio operator my antenna was center of the roof on a pick up & I had good coverage, we decided to turn the truck around an sit on the tailgate parked in the exact same tire marks - so the antenna moved MAYBE 4' and ....no reception,,,,, backed up another 4' = good again. Radio operators on our rallies spend a fair bit of time before the start moving thier cars to get the best reception possible.

Mike
VE6 MKE