Most unusal car you've seen rallying? - Page 2
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Most unusal car you've seen rallying?

Jerry,

You got any pics of the Buzzard Brothers? Or wasn't there a full sized Chevrolet done up as either a taxi or a cop car?
    Kent Gardam - KD8MRR

this is rally, and it's not supposed to be easy....Eric Burmeister, 2009

In my opinion, rallying could stand a bit less posturing and circus and a bit more backbone....Phil Barnes, aging co-driver

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Jerry, those are some incredible shots...any more of that Saab? It looks wicked. Anyone know where it is today or what ended up happening with it?
    http://www.nismostuff.blogspot.com

Roy D. from Kartek: "Rally is the cheapest motorsport in America. The last time I went to a rally it was an 84 Tercel with no headlights, an 88 nissan S box puking smoke, a 91 civic with no spare tire......."

Jerry, not only do you remember who was in what car from 20 years ago, but you remember all the details - when/if they dnf'd, finishing positions, etc.... Your passion for the rally world is incredible.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Similar to McDonald's truck, someone out here in the NW used to run an International Harvester. Flat black, Lubri Lon decals, that's all I remember as this was the '80's.. Thing looked like Godzilla next to the Colts and other more normal hardware...
    '90 Mazdog Frankenprotege #335

The Internation Scout was driven by Dick Turner. He later rallied the V8 Rwd Ford EXP with an overheating problem. I believe Dick was a State Trooper from Texas.

There have been a lot of weird rally cars mentioned here buy my vote goes to the Buzzard Brother Olds Toronado. Mad Mike can you supply a picture?

It was a 65 Toronado cut in half with a 67 rear end welded on.
    GMC van front end
    Camaro Doors
    Vega hatchback
    Courgar tail lights
    Monster V8 Mondela racing engine with exhaust over the roof
    and best of all 11 Hella 2000 rally lights - 7 on the grill and 4 on the roof.

Steve

Default Rolls Royce At East Of Indio

I think this is the one that ran at Indio as I remember, too nice.

The picture of Ken Stuart is his V8 powered Blazer, later he ran a S10 with a V6 and a huffer.

Roger

Very interesting posts guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hull View Post

I think this is the one that ran at Indio as I remember, too nice.

The picture of Ken Stuart is his V8 powered Blazer, later he ran a S10 with a V6 and a huffer.

Roger
    Found some more info on it:
    http://www.carclassic.com/stock.asp?...D=103645&Lanen

Spectator Wrangler Bruce Beauvais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Burmeister View Post
    That Saab was one mean SOB (the car). Ran a modern turbo engine out of a 9000 sitting sideways. I think the exhaust exit was right in FRONT of one of the FRONT wheels if I recall correctly.
    Close. It was a 900 Turbo (8v?) engine so it sat front to back. More properly, as 900s really go, back to front. Engine sits over the gearbox. Makes a compact, but tall, power train. You're correct about the exhaust. It was just a pipe ( no muffler) attached to the turbo outlet but I don't remember if it exited in front or behind the RF wheel.

I vote for the Buzzard Brothers Torowhatever.
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF

straight at T

Yavor Klostranec ran a Nissan Hardbody (pickup) in Ontario. It had the bed removed and a large wing mounted to the rear frame. The last time I saw it some spectators were using the wing as a seat while getting a ride back from the stage to their car.

There was also Art MacKenzie's Pegasus III (driven to victory by Tim Bendle at the 1996 Rocky Mountain Rally). It was built to make a point and consisted of an Isuzu 4wd Turbo chassis with "organic composite" bodywork. See http://www.sentex.net/~fdekat/ and navigate the The Good Days - it is the 7th photo down.

Adrian
    Last edited by Adrian Wintle; 03-17-2011 at 10:34 AM.

i dont know really what is unusual means , but here is some rally around my town. Sometimes you can even see diesel vans and small 14+ person buses. I try to find them LOL
    for me is actually nothing is unusual in rally. Feels like a pimp could feel about the girls in the night

so here is from the: 2 cylinder two stroke 26 hp "paper" no suspension really Trabant all away up to the EVo. Also from 1970 and up . Everything is possibly could hold up fro two days...
    just look how much better if there are very limited rules/since its an amateur rally/ ... how much more FUN for the spectators and for the racers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHdgydtAFiY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxOVU...eature=related