Thread: Looking to get into rally - Have lots of questions

100 oversquare right bentmettle's Avatar

Ahh. There ya go. I've been reading the word "lock" as "window" for years

thanks Jimmy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JFoster View Post
    I am in the Springfield MO area. I think the SCCA put on some rallyX events close to me not long ago. One at MoKan and one in Clever MO. But I don't see any upcoming events.
    We're working on a 2011 schedule. PM me for some details or links to the local SCCA/motorsports sites.

If you didn't come to the Clever, MO event, shame on you

The RallyX thing isn't going to stick if we don't keep entrant numbers up. Pretty sure Clever is a 10-15 minute drive from the Springfield metro area. Please attend, and bring friends! We mostly just have autoXers that come to these, but the MoKan event did bring out a SS member and their rally Citation from Wichita.

Good luck on your stage car build, hope to see you out in the dirt.
    - Mat Beck
    2005 Subaru Forester XT EJ257 hybrid
    1978 Datsun 280Z Terbeaux
    1996 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

Occasional crew member/Dodge-driver for the Rally Bug.

Quote Originally Posted by bentmettle View Post

Not so sure about stock springs and KYBs- they're not going to be any better as an interim step than the coilovers.
    Yeah, I mainly didn't want to beat my coilovers to death. So I figure sell them while they're minty and go to something cheaper, simpler, and maybe a little more durable/reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatBlack View Post
    We're working on a 2011 schedule. PM me for some details or links to the local SCCA/motorsports sites.

If you didn't come to the Clever, MO event, shame on you

The RallyX thing isn't going to stick if we don't keep entrant numbers up. Pretty sure Clever is a 10-15 minute drive from the Springfield metro area. Please attend, and bring friends! We mostly just have autoXers that come to these, but the MoKan event did bring out a SS member and their rally Citation from Wichita.

Good luck on your stage car build, hope to see you out in the dirt.
    Yeah, I didn't even know about it until it had passed. I have a friend that lives in Clever, we had no clue.

I went back through and didn't see any power window stuff, but jimmy is right power locks are a no. I also need to remove the steering lock.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

sell my Ksport coilovers and go with...KYB shocks and...stock springs, maybe
    for rallyx, just about anything will be better than the ksports IMO.
    for stage, ksport vs/ anything w/ stock springs is probably a draw.

pick up some bilstein HD's - you can rock 'em with stock springs for rallyx now, and then revalve them pretty cheap to run with stiffer springs for stage events.

just my $0.02.

Hey JFoster,

Please PM me.
    It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
    William Ralph Inge

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision.

don't cut

That was going to be next question, rally school. O'Neil looks great but,
    PRICING
    2 day: $1897
    3 day: $3392
    4 day: $4772
    5 day: $5750
    + travel / lodging to NH .... that's a little out of range. I would like to have the knowledge and coefficients toward my license though.
    Well, I wanted to run whatever came within a day or 2 drive of me, but that still doesn't leave much. The NASA/CARS events give me coefficients toward my full license right?
    From whrere you are at, I would feel that the O'Neil rally school is a marginal deal, 'specially for towing your car out there. Good, school, just so far away for you; if you could rent a car out there, that's better, but that's more cost. You can pay for a full event for that type of $$. What you may miss is some good driving pointers that you would take events to realize/learn on your own.

I would point you to running an event instead and getting an experienced navvie to run with you for a few events. preferrably one who had driven as well as co-driven. Just take it easy, throw any history of good finishes in other racing out of your head, and take the attitude that you are starting from scratch. We can all wreck well, with no practice!

One really good learing experinece is to work an event, and work as a start or finish control worker. Tha tis one process with whihc you need to get comfroatble, even as a driver, so that is a great way to learn. Go to Paris/Roxton, and be a control worker!

The turbo restrictions apply to RA, not NASA. Different philosophies, or insurance, I guess.

And stretch you definition of a 2 day drive. 100AW is a 14 hour tow form us; that one long day, not 2.

Regards, and welcome! You are near to a fine event in 100AW.

Mark B.

"Buy, don't build your first car" is a mantra oft-quoted but to be honest I think it's six vs. half a dozen. I've not known anyone who built first who really regretted it and unless you buy a proven winner (and maybe even then) you're still likely to find things that are a little sketchy (esp. wiring and hydraulics) and if you know enough to find it before it breaks then you may as well have just done it yourself.

Just cover the basics, throw in seam welding the car, keep your friendly RA/NASA techs in the loop during cage building, and focus on making the car stronger before you make it faster. Stage roads will beat up your car more than you think in ways you don't always expect.

I have neither bought nor built nor rented, my wallet is much more sane than I am. So take my advice for what it's worth.
    Jeremy Rowland
    jprowland.blogspot.com

People's Republik of Cambridge & Malpais Costa Rica

Sure developing talent costs some money, but running out of talent on stage costs even more money.

Spending, (even only), 3 days at TON is by far the best initial investment you can make in rally. Then go back in 6 months and do another 2 days when you can replentish funds. You do not have to bring your own rally car, in fact for the first few days of classes its discouraged. You run in their new Ford Fiestas, (which are amazing cars to learn in, I spent a day playing in one up there this winter), and you can pick from an assortment of old Subies, VW, Audi, BMWs too as you progress from the basics. East Gate motel is 60 bux a night and rental cars can be had for 400/wk. Also sign up for the TON mailing list they do offer special last minute discounts.

The skills you learn there can never be taken away, crashed, or burned up; and most importantly they provide you a solid foundation to become a great rally driver. The sooner attend, the less bad habits you'll have to unlearn. The results of the school are proven, the majority of the top national rally drivers on the east coast have passed through the TON rally proving grounds. Ken Block, Dave Mirra, Both Travis', Chris Duplesis, Wyatt Knox, Bill Bacon, Matt Iorio, John Cassidy, and countless regional guys.

I've seen quite a few newbies run out and buy or build a rally car first, before getting instruction, only to suffer very costly crashes, stuffs, and rolls the first year or two of the learning curve--costs far greater than TON...

Cheers!
    "What would Steve Zissou do?"

Safety first. Suspension second. Trans third, motor forth……