Ray Damitio..God speed
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Damitio..God speed

don't cut

Default Ray Damitio..God speed

Sadly Ray Damitio passed on this morning. He was 83. He was at home in bed, peaceful.

Per his wishes he will be cremated and no public service. I believe there will be a memorial get together at the Brooklyn tavern in a couple of weeks, possibly Feb 26.

Ray was one of the most enthusiast ralliests we'll ever know. From competing to organizing, he just loved the sport and the people. We'll miss him more than words can ever say.

Gene

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

your other left, you idiot

Default R.I.P.

Another one bites the dust.

Our sympathies and prayers to Janice and rest of the family.

Always enjoyed seeing Ray when we came out west and he always had a friendly conversation for us. Miss you buddy.

http://www.historicbrooklyntavern.com/Family-Ray.htm

press on upstairs young fella,

http://www.rallyracingnews.com/scca/wwest98-res.html

Meeting up with Carl Merrill for another wild ride in the Cossie..............
    Last edited by jimmy; 02-10-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

God Speed Ray! Thank you for all the joy you gave us all. Rest in peace!

Michael Milos

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

My Prayers and thoughts go out to Janice and everyone. Ray was a very special person to everyone and to myself.

Ray always helped people out and had a big heart. When I was just getting started in Rallying at the age of 16. We (my father twiz and I) showed up at doo-wops and Ray was like are those the tires your running. We had some street tires on the Suzuki. Ray sent me out to the back of the shop and told me to mount some proper rally tires!

He was always so helpfull, straightforward, and genuine in his love for the sport. I will miss him, and know he is in the minds of many in the rally community.

Scott (Suzuki Swift back in the day)

Very sad news. Ray will be greatly missed.

I didn't know him very well, and I have some really fond memories of Ray. I'm sure many others feel the same.

Doug

I am honoured to have met Ray last year at the Olympus Rally and to have had a beer (free, I might add) with him at the Brooklyn Tavern. My life is much more complete for having met him.
    Doug Woods

Two classes only: AWD and 2WD

Big Jump 800

Ray was a gentleman for whom I had great respect. Over the years we agreed and disagreed, and always in the most professional manner.

The Doo Wop series was his baby and HIS Brooklyn Tavern stage is one of the few U.S. rally stages which are known by name.

I always looked forward to seeing him and hearing new stories. I'll miss him.

RIP Ray!
    JBN

Ray will be dearly missed. He was a great person all the way around.

RIP
    Tina

your other left, you idiot

Default And a truly wise man said today:

"We'll talk later.... life is fleeting, enjoy it and the ones around you as much as possible.

Rally is a way for us to come together for enjoyment, nothing else. You won't get famous, rich, world renowned or even understood in most circles. You can have the time of your life and meet some of the most interesting characters in the world. Build that car, whatever it is or grab a yellow vest or floor jack. Make it happen. "

Thanks, Gene.
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

I realize that eventually everyone passes away, that's just the way things happen. But this one hits me really hard.

Ray was one of the first people I met when I got involved with rallying. One of his DooWop rallies was my first-ever stage rally as a competitor; indeed there were very few of the DooWop rallies I missed from their start in 1988 through last year. Once we got up to speed, we had some great battles with Grant Whiting and Ray in the RX-3 and the Colt. Although they pretty much always beat us.

One year I wanted to learn what it would take to organize a stage rally. Ray took me under his wing as an apprentice for the DooWop series that year, and I learned what needed to be done for an event, how to put a routebook together, and all the minutiae that needs to take place for a successful rally. For this assistance and guidance I am eternally grateful. With that seed planted we were able to successfully revive the Oregon Trail rally a few years later.

To say he did a lot for the Northwest rally community is a rather grievous understatement. From organizing the DooWops to hosting rallysprints on his personal property, from helping newbies to being a tenacious competitor, Ray did it all. Some of my fondest memories include shooting pool with him at the Brooklyn Tavern, or hanging out on the banks of the Wynoochee River in front of his and Janice's home.

Yes, he could be an ornery old cuss, but I loved the guy and will miss him terribly.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 02-10-2011 at 11:59 AM.