Rally Rookie from Ontario
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rally Rookie from Ontario

Default Rally Rookie from Ontario

Well I finally got around to signing up here on the advice of a few CRC/OPRC drivers and co-drivers past and current.

Been following motorsports (mostly dirt circle track) for several years but only started following rally for the last 3-4 years. This coming year I'm hoping to start doing some solo type events to become more in tune with car control and do some nav rallies.

I'd like to go pay a visit to Tim O'Neil for a few days and ultimately get started in performance rallying in a Group 2 car as finances allow.

And that's about it about me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

your other left, you idiot

Welcome.

You are coming to Tall Pines, correct !?

http://www.tallpinesrally.com/

Still time to sign up to work.

press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Welcome.

You are coming to Tall Pines, correct !?
    I most certainly am! As for working I don't know about that. I think I'm tied up Friday night and I may have to pull chauffeur duty Saturday morning. If time permits I may sign up for working.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I realize there's no substitute for seat time, but are there any magazines/books/videos that would be good to read/watch over the winter?

Pole Position or Grassroots Motorsports
    Rally - Racing the way nature intended it.

I came across a link for a rallycross series sponsored by FourStar Motorsports and it said street cars are eligible for entry. Would this be something worth while to consider? If so would it be advisable to pick up different wheels and tires for my car specifically for it?

Quote Originally Posted by KDeV View Post
    I came across a link for a rallycross series sponsored by FourStar Motorsports and it said street cars are eligible for entry. Would this be something worth while to consider? If so would it be advisable to pick up different wheels and tires for my car specifically for it?
    http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=96

Those events are run by the Maple Leaf Rally Club, and info can be found on http://www.mlrc.ca , though the next event isn't until in the new year now.

As for tires, yes, a second set of wheels and tires is a good idea, the biggest problem people seem to have is de-beading tires hitting ruts sideways, which doesn't really happen with gravel tires. For the winter events, it's smart to have at least a couple spare winter tires in case you lose one during the event, so you can still get home.

The only other prep suggestion I can make is a skidplate, but it isn't mandatory as long as you keep it in mind while driving.
    Ryan Huber
    VA3AWD

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHuber View Post
    As for tires, yes, a second set of wheels and tires is a good idea, the biggest problem people seem to have is de-beading tires hitting ruts sideways, which doesn't really happen with gravel tires.
    Maybe a freak event, but my buddy rolled my rally car on gravel rally tires doing a rallycross due to that exact thing. So, to the OP, just be aware of the risks before you go tossing your car sideways at 50 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by JC Bourgeois View Post
    Maybe a freak event, but my buddy rolled my rally car on gravel rally tires doing a rallycross due to that exact thing. So, to the OP, just be aware of the risks before you go tossing your car sideways at 50 mph.
    Any motorsports I've done(very little) has been done in a street vehicle or with a basic hoop (you ever pitched a minivan sideways on a clay track? All I could think was please don't roll and was keep in the throttle) but the roll-over factor is always in the back of my mind however being a rookie I can't see me tearing through the course at the same speed as the more experienced drivers. (Sliding around a rough clay oval at 95kph in my street car was interesting that one time) That being said, in the event I did go over it would still suck but my wallet wouldn't feel nearly as bad as the poor guy who dumps his new Subi over.

At any rate where's a good place to look for steel/rally wheels? A set from an auto recycler or somewhere online? I'd need something with 4x114.3 (4x4.5") spacing, 12mmx1.25 lug. 66.1mm center bore and offset between 38-42. (Yes, I know those specs don't lend themselves to finding wheels easily.) I believe the rotors are 12" so I need to make sure I can clear those. Factory wheels are 16"x6"/15"x6". Or worse case for narrow snows there are 14"x4" that they use for the spares.
    Last edited by KDeV; 12-03-2010 at 08:50 AM.