Special Stage Forums banner

USFS Story

7K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  John Vanlandingham 
#1 ·
#4 ·
This points out that the USFS is not the enemy. As an organization, they are dedicated to "multiple use", and some local administrators choose to use such things as rally to illustrate how that can work. Others don't see rally as a valid use, and you may not be able to change their minds.

An article like this can be really helpful in introducing yourself and your proposed rally to USFS landowners - and it doesn't hurt when talking to other public entities that have multiple use in their charters.

Bruce

#5 ·
I am actually in prelim discussions with our local USFS and this article was posted within days of our first conversations. The ranger was impressed to see this article and excited to share it with his peers!

I'll keep you posted on how it goes here in the Northwest! Wish us luck!

#6 ·
Nice little story, some good news is always welcome!

For four hours, once a year, a small town in the Ottawa National Forest comes alive with noise, cars, people, and national news attention. You gotta be here to see it! It is quite the event.
Yeah, I have always been amazed at how Kenton comes alive one nite a year. We pass thru a few times during the summer, I always like to stop & have a look around.

BTW, the author (John Wigand), beyond writing this article for the USFS, is he involved at all with LSPR? I don't recognize his name, but then I don't know everyone involved with the rally. Just wondering if he is a rally fan and is one of the many volunteers.

#7 · (Edited)
BTW, the author (John Wigand), beyond writing this article for the USFS, is he involved at all with LSPR? I don't recognize his name, but then I don't know everyone involved with the rally. Just wondering if he is a rally fan and is one of the many volunteers.
If you click on his name, an USFS e-mail address shows. Not a volunteer. It's better. He's a fan and is an USFS Ranger. Google shows a number of these Success Stories with his byline.

#8 ·
Did anybody keep a copy of this. Could really use it now. Thanks.

#11 ·
Here's what I get when I click:

[h=1]Zoom, Zoom, Zoom[/h]
By john wigand on Oct 10, 2009

Annual road rally race on the Ottawa National Forest demonstrates multiple use management.
It used to be called the "Press on Regardless Road Rally," no longer, it's now called "Lake Superior Performance Rally." Despite the name change, they continue to press on. The race held in the Copper Country of Upper Peninsula Michigan originates in the Houghton-Hancock area located in the Keweenaw Peninsula of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The race is the last race of the season in the Rally America Racing circuit.
Known as the oldest, toughest, meanest rally on the circuit it is run every year in late October and has two of several race stages run on Ottawa National Forest roads. Every year our recreation program assists the race organizers by providing a Special Use permit allowing for road closures and associated administrative arrangements that allow for the race to take place.
If you have never had the opportunity to attend a race it is an event you are not likely to forget. The event consists of a pre-designed route of travel with several designated race stages where cars race against time. The race takes place over a number of days, during the day and night, rain, sleet, snow, or whatever may come. It is a sight to behold. High speed, professional drivers traveling dirt roads that otherwise would host much slower more careful travel. The spectacle is especially spectacular after dark, in the quiet of the night.
With lots of high energy lights and speed, out of the dark, here ů. zoom ů gone.
Over the years there has been some controversy over the Ottawa National Forest hosting such an event but in providing a diversity of recreational opportunities and concern for economic support for local communities it was decided to allow for the event to continue.
This is not quite your silent sports event.
For four hours, once a year, a small town in the Ottawa National Forest comes alive with noise, cars, people, and national news attention. You gotta be here to see it! It is quite the event.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.