rally trucks - Page 24
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: rally trucks

the cross country rally trucks are limited to about 300mm (12") of wheels travel

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Default Dakar Tires

These new Dakar all-terrains would be nice to try out on a rally truck...I've actually have raced with the Dakar (G1) Rock tire on a single seat buggy. They stick to ground without any float what so ever. They are heavy, but can take HUGE hits from rock. (Good for Primm Nevada desert course) You are probably going to tear off an arm before you get a flat. If the new tire is tougher, that would be very impressive.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain
    Sizes: 245/80-16
    Hard rubber racing tire for 4x4 Super Production prototypes (plant vehicle) only, use on rugged and sandy terrain.*

BFGoodrich Rock T/A
    Sizes: 235/85-16
    Hard rubber racing tire and rigid carcass for 4x4 Super Production prototypes only, for use on rugged and sandy tracks (at low inflation pressure).*

Source: Michel Maraval, BFGoodrich developer (2009)
    "Design of the All-Terrain tire began nearly two-years ago", says Michel Maraval, BFGoodrich developer and one of the designers of this new tire. "Rally-Raid prototypes are increasingly efficient, the pace is faster and faster and the efforts that the tires are subjected to increasingly violent. Given these facts, we had to conceive a new tire to replace the Rock T/A, which was nearing its limits."

With bursts of speed of up to 200km/hr, vehicles weighing over 2 tons at stages starting lines and distances of several hundreds of kilometers on rugged or sandy roads under sometimes overwhelming heat, the life of a Rally-Raid tire really goes through hell! When landing from a jump, tires might have to absorb shocks as great as 3.5 tons!

We started with a blank sheet
    "Modeling a Rally-Raid tire is complicated, continues Michel Maraval, and we started with a blank sheet in our All-Terrain design. We created a new architecture, a new tread design, our chemists worked on a new rubber..." Even the dimensions are different: the All-Terrain is wider than the Rock T/A. "It is also 40% more resistant than the Rock T/A and performs better on sand", Michel specifies.

200 square left

Quote Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
    where are all the rally truck folks?

how are you doing

a big pat on the back baja bill of course
    This^^^^

Yes ancient thread Bumpage....

I was reading through old threads here the other day including this one which is pretty epically huge:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/...p/t-38575.html

Anyway if you run a truck in stage rally or codrive or know somebody who does -post up!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

The giant excursion course car is finally getting retired this year after a cash at Sandblast in March.

It's not mine but I've spent a rally or two in it every year since 2011.
    Last edited by Perry; 05-26-2019 at 04:47 AM.

A really or two per year I meant.

Some other random pics I ran across in my stash.

200 square left

Nice! Thanks for posting.

Let’s get this forum thriving again guys!

I know there are more truck guys out there....where are you guys?

Post up!

200 square left

I’m toying with the idea of pressing the easy button and maybe in the future going with a 2.3 Duratec powered Ford Ranger
    CRS “Performance stock class” build.

Truck parts simplicity and durability. I hate working on cars.

If I get bored with the slowness, Ford Ranger pre-runner and desert go fast race parts are only a click away.

Quote Originally Posted by rallyxr4ti View Post
    I’m toying with the idea of pressing the easy button and maybe in the future going with a 2.3 Duratec powered Ford Ranger
    CRS “Performance stock class” build.

Truck parts simplicity and durability. I hate working on cars.

If I get bored with the slowness, Ford Ranger pre-runner and desert go fast race parts are only a click away.
    I've been tempted in similar ways. It'd be a good ride for a "fun" effort. Not real competitive usually. I'd want some suspension travel if I were to do it, and I'd go 2wd I think. I'm not familiar with the class rules for "performance stock".

I know as a course car, a full size truck or sport Ute can often put down mid pack stage times overall, even without notes and driven "brisk" instead of fast.

200 square left

You can plate and reinforce suspension arms and control arms but cannot lengthen them.
    Take your pick for springs and shocks but must be in stock location.

Any final drive ratio.

Engine internals are free, but must use stock intake and exhaust manifold.
    However -those manifolds may be modified.
    Ecu tuning is fine.

I’m pretty sure I could get the thing moving plenty quick enough to get into trouble with those allowable mods alone.

Again if It gets boring..Then additional mods to bring it to open class standards shouldn’t be too hard.

Wider. Better suspension with more travel but nothing too crazy because this is not desert racing.

More power. Either na or turbo.