firewall question

Thread: firewall question

Default firewall question

Hello all

Slowly but surely I am continuing work on my Datsun 510. I am installing a firewall between the stock fuel tank and the driving compartment. Here is a pic of what I have done so far. The center portion I need to be able to access if I need to remove fuel lines for replacement or even if I need to replace or remove the tank. Is it allowable to rivet an aluminum sheet over that opening?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Ok I think I might have found the answer in case anyone else needs the info. Over on Dirty Impreza I found a post that showed the exact question I am asking and nobody seemed to question it at all. I still don't know for sure if it is legal but i will go ahead and do it. The worst case is I drill the rivets and weld in a piece of sheet metal.

Mike G

Jason McDaniel

Mike, on our SAAB 96, we just bolted the divider plate in place and caulked the seam with fire resistant caulk.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks I will get some of the caulk and and go over all the seams.

Mike G

200 square left

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
    Thanks I will get some of the caulk and and go over all the seams.

Mike G
    Glad to see another brilliant Rally car choice and sad that more parts will be siphoned off of E-bay. Our panel came fastened on with sheet metal screws and I never really was comfortable with it. I am in the process of doing what you are but leaving two small rectangular access panels at the tank bolt locations. I have a tube of fire caulk ready on the shelf but have not done a gasoline test on it yet. This caulk is for construction use to prevent fire/heat from traveling from one cavity to another but not necessarily in contact with chemicals. I think even if it gives you a few seconds more time to get out of the car, all the better.
    What engine are you going to run with? Post some more pics when you can.
    Brad Fast
    #727 Datsun 510

don't cut

Make sure you fill or cover the hollow sections in the C pillars also.

Bfast

I am currently using a L18 with a 280Z 5 Speed. I eventually will upgrade to either a KA24DE or SR20DE but that is in the future. Right now I am trying to get this car together so I can rally. I will post some pics up this week. for now here is what I have done so far.

The previous owner had added speakers in the top tray so there were three very large holes that needed to be covered. I used Alu. there as well. I am going to get a right angle drill from work so i can make the panel a little more tight up against the existing sheet metal. The triangular piece of Alu. is not riveted in yet and i still have some holes to weld up.

Mike G
    Last edited by BlackWidow; 09-12-2010 at 05:23 PM.

I might have found the answer in case anyone else needs the info. Over on Dirty Impreza I found a post that showed the exact question I am asking and nobody seemed to question it at all.