Sponsors?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sponsors?

Default Sponsors?

Going to be starting out with my car soon, what can I expect to find sponsor wise? Should I be activly looking for support or will I not find much till I have a bunch of events under my belt? Also what kind of info should I be collecting as I go along if im serious about getting sponsors?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

into right 2 tightens mattjohnston's Avatar

You can probably expect nothing sponsor wise. Unless your best buddys dad owns a body shop, then you can probably get a great deal on paint. Or maybe a liquor store; free kegs!

Who do you know? That's what matters. Results don't really matter at all, no matter how many events you have done.

into right 2 tightens

Matt's answer above is very realistic, but people make things happen.

I would not mimic Ken Block, but I would use his success as a model and a business model. What is Ken selling? Personality, Hype, Excitement and Fans, Loyal fans who will support him and cheer him on, and buy the products he promotes.

If you have a great personality, a great "look," and you are willing to work 24/7 to promote yourself, you might find some sponsorship. Add to the mix, something different, an additional element outside of the rally car, and you will give yourself additional value.

At the end of the day the audience for Rally in the United States remains small, maybe growing, so it is an uphill battle, but with each individual who gets to the top (Pastrana & Block) it makes the path a little easier for others to follow.

Good Luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

When you figure it out, let the rest of us know, ok?
    Jim Perrin - #716, but no more Jeep.... - TeamHazardRally.com

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

What you should expect is that the amount of money that comes in, divided by the amount of hours that you spend both searching, preparing, and then maybe performing the activities required of the sponsorship agreement, ends up being similar to the same as if you had picked up a part-time job.

Sometimes.

And the rest of the time it's the same amount of work, but you get nothing. If you love doing that job (i.e., marketing) then that will be fine. If you just want to go racing, it may not be worth the time.

In other words, getting "sponsorship" is selling yourself as advertiser for a company. It is a job. It's a lot of work. It's not "free money".

Good luck!

Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

into right 2 tightens mattjohnston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
    In other words, getting "sponsorship" is selling yourself as advertiser for a company. It is a job. It's a lot of work. It's not "free money".

Anders is totally right, and I am bummed I forgot to mention it in my typically snarky reply up top.

I will quantify it with personal experience.

In 2005 I had roughly 26k in sponsorship of in-kind product and cash. I worked ~30-35hours a week to get it. That was sweet. It let me win the 2005 Rally America Gp2 National Championship against myself. A success of which I am still riding upon, and garners praise nearly every day.

In 2006 when I was trying to do the Fiesta Trophy I worked ~40-50hours a week on securing sponsorship and spent ~$5,000 on random shit to try and do it. I got some sponsorship agreements, but less than what I needed ($200,000) so it was a no-go. Thousands of hours for nothing, but that's fine.

In 2008, I was like eff that nosie and delivered pizzas on top of my real job. I worked ~20 hours a week and made about $22,000. More $$, less time, lots more free pizza and like 200% more pretty college girls that wanted breadsticks.

I should also state that now in 2009/10 getting sponsorship type support with a reasonably successful Youtube account and web marketing plan takes less than 5 hours a month. Not 2005 levels, but almost, and I've only done 1 rally in the last year.

Stickers on cars are borderline pointless, Youtube is not. How do you sell products? Do you know?
    Last edited by mattjohnston; 06-22-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjohnston View Post
    200% more pretty college girls that wanted breadsticks.
    To which you were more than happy to supply?
    Jim Perrin - #716, but no more Jeep.... - TeamHazardRally.com

Stickers on cars are borderline pointless, Youtube is not. How do you sell products? Do you know?
    If we would have been able to capitilize on the money we spent in rally, we would still be doing it rather than wondering where it all went!

When you are looking for a potential sponsor all they are thinking (unless you are buddies) is how are you going to make me more money?.

Period - it is that easy, it should not need any more explanation.

Matt is right - the right marketing plan is the key to making said sponsor more sales, which eqauls more money, which equals sponsorship opportunities.

100 oversquare right

How to make a million in rallying? Start with 2 million!

Quote Originally Posted by mattjohnston View Post

In 2008, I was like eff that nosie and delivered pizzas on top of my real job. I worked ~20 hours a week and made about $22,000. More $$, less time, lots more free pizza and like 200% more pretty college girls that wanted breadsticks.
    Tell me where you got ~$20/hour delivering pizzas!

But Anders and Matt make a good point. You need to look at your "sponsorship" as a job. Divide by the hours you spend hunting and butt kissing. If it comes out to a $10/hour job, you might as well just pick up a side job. Plus you get benefits of that job, like free pizza or maybe you work in a mechanics shop and get access to tools or cheap materials.

Sponsorship is a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" thing.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!