Suggestions for BASIC list of essential WRX rally parts??? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for BASIC list of essential WRX rally parts???

100 K left 2

Thanks a TON Nick, StreetWise looks pretty legit, and local, so thank you. Ya your totally rite about cost materials, its all about the base car. I think going with the GTI will be best option rite now cause of it being cheap, and im going to have to replace parts anyway. And as for me saying the wrx is my baby, thats just cause its new to me. Any other cars or stores in CA u kno of, by all means, plz let me kno of them. Thanks again Nick

Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Global Village Idiot Nick the Brit's Avatar
    North Hollywood, California, United States, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Galaxy!

This looks like an excellent candidate.

http://www.rallyclassified.com/class...p/listing/3261

Caged already, suspended, needs a couple of little things but it is in Los Angeles!
    Buy it now Scott!!
    Nick Taylor.
    www.365rally.com

Big Thanks to:
    www.streetwiseparts.com ,Rancho Santa Margarita,CA
    RJ Olchawa Machine Shop Services,Ontario,CA

Quote Originally Posted by Nick the Brit View Post
    This looks like an excellent candidate.

Caged already, suspended, needs a couple of little things but it is in Los Angeles!
    Buy it now Scott!!
    I'm not 100% certain (definitely not completely knowledgeable about cage rules, and there's not enough pictures to say for sure either), but that cage looks as though it will need a fair bit of work to get logbooked. Still could be a good starting place though...

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

don't cut

Quote Originally Posted by bopApocalypse View Post
    I'm not 100% certain (definitely not completely knowledgeable about cage rules, and there's not enough pictures to say for sure either), but that cage looks as though it will need a fair bit of work to get logbooked. Still could be a good starting place though...
    Cage looks to be pretty compliant with Nasa RallySport requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by heymagic View Post
    Cage looks to be pretty compliant with Nasa RallySport requirements.
    Bigger point would be the main hoop and a-pillar tube size as well. Can't tell from picture but doesn't look to be 1.75 diameter tubes. Also looks like it needs the "fia bars" from the a-pillar to the floor as well.

Still, as long as that cage only needs to be added to and not redone, that's a decent setup. Would still require a bit of work though. So would be a good stepping stone if you still want to build a car.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

Whether it will encourage or discourage your original idea I figured I'd add this link to a WRX build from a local out here who is new to the sport: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-membe...last-post.html .

This certainly isn't a budget build but it is a first time build by someone who was learning about the sport and building the car before participating in a rally and may give some perspective on what's involved.

I still agree with most of the folks here that the cheaper and better way to learn about the sport is to buy a cheap used car. Then if you decide you like it and learn more about it by all means build something, you'll have a lot better idea of what you are getting into and how to do it right. You should also marshall a rally or two and offer to help out on a crew for a race or two so you will understand what's going on and meet some folks who can help get you started.

Good luck with what ever choice you make.

100 K left 2

Thanks everyone for all your help! I have got Rally classes comming up in the next week or so, so im getting PUMPED!!! All of your suggestions have helped me get my $h!t together, and iv been doing some talking with my soon to be OFFICIAL co-driver, and some good High School buddies, who I didn't know just are finishing up UTI, who have considered working on my car, and even as far as to work as my pit crew. Most of them were, and still are, expecting to get into and work for NASCAR crew chiefs. I told them, "Why adjust cars for left turns all day?". Needless to say, they figure this will look good on their resume's some day when they move on. SO, while talking with CD and crew boss, we have decided that this $500 GTI is our best building block.
    https://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1708/cat/13

WHILE WE WOULD ALL KILL TO GET THE MONEY FOR THIS:
    We just cant. We know the GTI needs a lot of work, but the crew seems willing, and my wallet is willing too, and my CD is wanting to throw down also. Like someone said, GTI are big beginner cars and when i take it out to race, Ill meet many more GTI racers, some with spare parts, advice, tuning, whatever the case. It seems to be my best option, thanks to all of yall and your advice. More advice would be awsome. Ill probly be starting a thread soon about basic GTI parts now, but I dont care. This has been a MAJOR help. Thank you all for the continued suggestions and support, please keep the suggestions and tips going.
    Thanks again

Scott

atta boy
    (the other) Jon Burke
    I drive a Sub-a-rat
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-B...13428728700857
    Team Blog: Up Two Mountains Rally Team

"...when it comes to racing and sushi, I never look at the bill." - Foust

Dramamine is for DramaQueens Morison's Avatar

If you haven't yet - it might be worth looking at (or even buying) both cars.
    The caged car also has the 'right' engine, is a GTI which should mean 4 wheel disk brakes (the base model is almost certainly rear drum, although I think I see calipers in the pic.)
    you have complete glass, doors, hatch, and a bumch of parts for $500 that could keep the prepped shell going. The $500 car is very much a 'kit' while the caged car is still a project. Anyone buying a built car will want to essentially strip it down and put it back together anyway, so your crew will still have lots to do.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

If you go with the Golf I hope your 'crew' likes working on cars.
    Build the WRX. Follow your dream!
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215