Suggestions for BASIC list of essential WRX rally parts??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for BASIC list of essential WRX rally parts???

Quote Originally Posted by biggreen96 View Post
    Build it! Just spend time researching and you will figure out what is good and not good.
    If by researching you mean getting dirty for a few years by helping crew with various teams (the higher level the better, so you can see how the "big guys" do things), getting involved in between event reprep, maybe codriving in a few different cars, and just generally getting as much hands on experience as possible to find out what works and what doesnt, then I agree with you. But you're not going to learn how to build a rally car by "researching" on the internet.

After being involved in the sport for 10+ years, crewing for I dont know how many teams on all different levels, codriving, driving my own pre-built car for 4 years, having gone to an automotive tech school for 2 years and working for 5 years as a mechanic I feel that I could build a decent car now. But I would hate to see what I would have come up with if I tried to build my own car 7 years ago. Though I building a car I think of doing it all myself, it certainly costs more to pay other people to do the things you cant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    A nice cage will cost you sonewhere in the $4K - $8K range by itself. Given your budget it sounds like you need to buy something ready to rally or that needs minor updates. The WRX idea won't work given your budget.
    And switching over to a 6 speed that will actually take some abuse will be another 3-4k.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dazed driver View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKZV7JchdSc

Thats why *no one* recommends a wrx at a starter.
    I am confused, *no one* recommends a wrx because of that video ?
    I am pretty confident I could do that with any car- so does that mean I should never drive anything ?

Dramamine is for DramaQueens Morison's Avatar

If you MUST start with a subaru:
    https://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1710/cat/13

Cheaper that you could possibly build one for.

To answer the 'why not a wrx' question... if you start in lower horsepower/grip cars you'll neet to learn to drive smoothly and cleanly to do well. You can then transfer those skills to higher power cars. It is the BEST way to learn how to drive fast.

If you really really want to build:
    https://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1708/cat/13
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Morison View Post
    If you MUST start with a subaru:

Cheaper that you could possibly build one for.
    You're looking at several thousand (suspension can be anywhere from a couple thousand to $5k a corner if you want) just to replace all the missing bits from the theft on that car and get some spares.

https://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1761/cat/13

Evan Cline's car, while a bit more expensive, is actually complete. You could probably sell your WRX for 10k then use the 5k budget to buy his car.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    The question is, do you want to spend all your money building a car or all your money racing?
    listen to this advice, answer truthfully

the faster you try to start and the less homework you do before you start, the more $$$ you will waste
    Dave G
    LDR Copilote
    www.lastditchracing.net

Suspension:

buy these:
    https://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1780/cat/18
    (offer him $500)

The find a guy named John Vanlandingham (www.rallyanarchy.com) and buy some properly valved bilstein inserts for them. Or I think he'll sell you a brand new set of '50mm JVAB Sooper Bitchin' Suspenders' for around $2250 (don't quote me on that). His number is on there, so call him, but start the conversation with, "I'm sorry, I'm about to bug you with a bunch of sub-a-rat questions..." Then listen to what he says for the next 90 minutes (make sure you phone is charged).

skid plate, rear diff skid plate. some kind of UHMW under armour for the rest of the underbody.

Roll cage:
    You'll be able to find someone in SoCal that will do a NASA legal cage for you for around $3500 (that's what I was quoted a few times). Don't worry about getting it TIG welded or a 12 point cage. a 6 point NASA legal cage is very safe. don't worry about stitch welding. just get the sound deadening off as best you can; the 'dry ice' trick works great.

Intercom: look for them used on here or on ebay....if you can't find one or borrow one for your first event, a brand new peltor is $210 USD.

rally computer: you don't need one.

cool switches and stuff....you don't need them. wire any aux lights to your high beam switch. Don't worry about moving your battery, or getting a light weight one, don't worry about the AC system yet,

Aux Lights.....cheap ebay kc lights or cheap kragen HID's work fine.

good, safe seats can be had for around $350 each. G-force harnesses and race suits as well. Peltor helmets/intercom to go with your peltor intercom.

terratrip is another, cheaper option in that regard, but I've used both.....I'd never pay for a terratrip intercom, but that's just my opinion (in fact, someone will read this and tell you that terratrips are 'just as good' in 3.....2.....1....)

engine: just add the 34mm restrictor ($175 from barrett dash at www.allwheelsdriven.com) and get tuned for it. maybe get a spare TD-04 off NASIOC used, but don't even think about upgrading turbos.

Brakes: the only benefit of a WRX...stock brakes are pretty good. just make sure you got decent rotors and pads (I'm a big fan of EBC stuff myself. Inexpensive and for this level, very good quality. 'yellow' pads)

tires and rims...plenty of used tires and 15" rally tires for sale around here....shop around. Hell, by the time Gorman comes around, I'll have some used Lassa Rally 2s I can sell you.

Get all the basic safety stuff from Charles at www.safedrives.com
    Get a spill kit from: http://www.rallylights.com/default.aspx
    get a tow rope.
    memorize NASA and RA rules.

spares: if you have cash left over....get spare control arms (upgrade to STI aluminum ones if you can and your class allows it), lateral links, and a spare rear diff. All these can be found fairly cheap off NASIOC used section.

BTW, I'll be at the CRS rally school as well, not taking the class but going down to play...I don't know if I'll have my WRX there, but lets meet up and chat.
    Last edited by UP2MTNS; 02-16-2010 at 09:41 AM.
    (the other) Jon Burke
    I drive a Sub-a-rat
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-B...13428728700857
    Team Blog: Up Two Mountains Rally Team

"...when it comes to racing and sushi, I never look at the bill." - Foust

Kevin Welker

Good advice Jon. When he's done buying that stuff he'll have no money left over to pay for tow fuel, lodging, food and entry fee. Which is more than his stated budget anyway.

I am in the camp that recommends NOT buying the WRX, spending half of what you would have spent on a fully prepped car (with some spares) then having plenty of money left to run a full CRS season.

You have enough money to be a rallyist, but not in a car that you build.

I'll rephrase Carl's question, Do you want to spend at least a season (possibly more) pouring money into a "project" so that you can get it out on stage and have your turbo Subaru beaten by VWs or do you want to get out there and begin building your skills right away in a cheap, fun car?
    Twitter: KWelkerRally
    Open Light
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/xmansti...7603986610731/
    "You hate your car. It is meant to be destroyed and repaired. It is merely a machine that is keeping you from attaining your true top speed. Press on the skinny pedal. Turn every once in a while. Fasten your belts securely. Drive it in anger." - Don Burress - Demon Rally Team

Quote Originally Posted by Xman View Post
    Good advice Jon. When he's done buying that stuff he'll have no money left over to pay for tow fuel, lodging, food and entry fee. Which is more than his stated budget anyway.
    Hey, I just answered the man's question. not gonna judge him....I'll let him figure out if he can finance it or not, that's none of my business.

I don't have kids, but every parent I ever talked to says that no matter how much they tell their kids, "Don't touch....its HOT."....the kid never learns until they touch it.

Apparently I still have my hand on the burner
    (the other) Jon Burke
    I drive a Sub-a-rat
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-B...13428728700857
    Team Blog: Up Two Mountains Rally Team

"...when it comes to racing and sushi, I never look at the bill." - Foust

100 K left 2

Thanks for everyones advice and input. BUT, since i am met with half of you saying to build my WRX and have faith, while the other side is saying no, so i believe i have come up with a solution... First off, im keeping the WRX, its my new baby. Im NOT going to rush into building it up for a rally. INSTEAD, I plan of obtaining a somewhat building block car somewhere here in So Cal. Some of you have sent links to cars and i thank you for that. Billy, took a look at your GTI u got up for sale. Its MORE than ideal for me, but i just cant deal with traveling across the country and then going thru the CA smog and other BS, because id still like to drive my "toys" on the street. One car im REALLY looking into as a starter is this:
    https://www.specialstage.com/classifi...p?product=1708

Its already pretty stripped, and everyone seems to say that GTI are great starters, and the $500 price aint bad either.
    AND I LOVE THESE TWO SET UPS!!! I just am bummed i dont have the $15,000 to blow on these:
    https://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1761/cat/13

I still plan on working on getting some basic parts for my WRX; suspension, roll cage, skid plates, etc.; but most likely not racing it, or doing much extreme stuff to it. I do however, hope to get that GTI and build it up, and race the crap out of it. Any suggestions or advice on this new approach would be great. Thanks for all the help and input!!!

Global Village Idiot Nick the Brit's Avatar
    North Hollywood, California, United States, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Galaxy!

To be honest it really doesn't matter what platform you are starting with to build the car - the money you then have to put into it is pretty much the same whether it is stock, PGT or open class.

That Golf is only one step away from your current WRX in being a rally car - it is stripped. That is one day of work on your car.

Belts, Cage, Seats, rally stuff all cost the same no matter whether you build a Mini or a Bugatti - the outlay in the purchase cost of the original car is likely to be the least expense you have.

I would recommend still looking for something more complete to start with. Maybe not a $10-15,000 Subaru.
    And something you said about your 2004 makes me think you shouldn't race it.
    You said "it's your baby". Learn to hate it, then when (not if) something happens to it you will not be too upset.

I am fairly local to you (North Hollywood) so if you want to chat sometime then drop me a line.
    If you REALLY have you heart set on building it yourself I can point you in the right direction as a far as decent places to get a cage done (see my signature) and stores in the area that may give you a good price on equipment.
    Nick Taylor.
    www.365rally.com

Big Thanks to:
    www.streetwiseparts.com ,Rancho Santa Margarita,CA
    RJ Olchawa Machine Shop Services,Ontario,CA