CRC 2010... - Page 2

View Poll Results: which rally would you like to see as part of the crc?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prescott

4 21.05%
  • Idaho

14 73.68%
  • Other (please name an event)

1 5.26%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CRC 2010...

eating dust taking photos KevinG5Hahn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by granthughes View Post
    I'm not afraid of mountain passes. People are a bit afraid of riding with me on them though. I do like the idea of ending the series with a stage rally. I also like the idea of including both events, though then maybe the name should be Rocky Mountain Rally Cup instead of Colorado Rally Cup.

Both events becomes cost prohibitive for your average competitor.

Or in other words we don't want the CRC to consume 100% of your budget while still offering lots of great racing, fund, and value.

Last year with 6 racing weekends we feel we consumed more time, money, and energy than we needed to, and that the racing mileage and actual competition justifies.

Hill climbs still offer a great value for competitors. But $150.00+ on top of memberships and what not when for 2-3 days time you get less than 15 miles that count, this begins to become cost prohibitive when we could provide 30-60 miles of racing over 1 or 2 days for between $150 and $250.

Granted there is no fancy pay out but more seat time is more seat time right?

The idea this year is 3 racing weekends with 10-15 coefficients worth of mileage and a real fixed expense cost of less than $2000.00 if you do EVERYTHING.

Last year alone if you did everything you spent approximately $1,800.00 on entry fees (give or take $100). Odds are good that you spent $2-500.00 more fuel towing your car around. This is before weekend expenses of hotels, food, or car operating expenses. Plus we took so much of your time it was either do all of the CRC or do other things for a lot of people.

This year we are targeting less than $1,500 in entry fees with less weekend costs.
    Kevin Hahn
    KevinHahnPhotography.com
    "altitude just means not lifting..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Most of the rally car owning community in Colorado can afford the time and money to tow for two events. We wouldn't have rally cars otherwise.
    Two of three racing weekends being a rallysprint kinda makes it more of a rallysprint series. Though from what I heard of how Tumbleweed went, a CORE Rallysprint series might be cool, then you could really keep the costs and towing mileage down!
    As for the time committment, I know I look for ways to spend more weekends doing rally related ****. Last year I spent six weekends at rally events. Mark spent eight. Though I can certainly understand how self employed people like Salta and Checkpoint would want to limit time attending events in order to keep business running. Or people with kids and families, like Mitch and Aaron.
    I guess everyone in the long run determines their own level of committment, myself included. I'm spending this year rebuilding my car to gain reliability so that when I am competing again, I can focus on that and not on constantly replacing, rebuilding, and repairing ****.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

100AW, Idaho, then Prescott for 2011. 330ish stage miles for just over $5K.
    Last edited by granthughes; 02-02-2010 at 08:31 AM.
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by granthughes View Post
    100AW, Idaho, then Prescott for 2011. 330ish stage miles for just over $5K.
    wow $5k in spending for 3 Stage rally events that is a lot of money. I'm not sure what all of the CRC I will try at this season since I won't have the gear and prep until later in the year. I'm looking at going to the Prescott Rally or Seed 9 Rally since they are late in the season. Next year I'll be ready to go for hopefully more events. I would chose Prescott but will leave it to the other CRC guys to decide that since this season will be rather short for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    wow $5k in spending for 3 Stage rally events that is a lot of money. I'm not sure what all of the CRC I will try at this season since I won't have the gear and prep until later in the year. I'm looking at going to the Prescott Rally or Seed 9 Rally since they are late in the season. Next year I'll be ready to go for hopefully more events. I would chose Prescott but will leave it to the other CRC guys to decide that since this season will be rather short for me.
    Ummm...$5k for 3 events is crazy cheap!

Set of 4 tires $800 - 1 fresh set for each event $2400
    Entry Fee $750 - 3 events $2250

You're pretty much at $5k with those expenses, and that doesn't include fuel, brakes, hotels, meals, and any parts you might break while racing. The purchase price of the car pales in comparison to the costs of running them.

I figured to run on a budget in the Evo I'd be looking at $8k in expenses per event, and that assumes a volunteer crew and no car breakage. Basically, just consumables: 3 sets of tires, 1 turbo, 1 set of brakes, entry, notes, & travel expenses. FWIW, I can run the Evo for a full season of CHCA for about the same costs, but you have to keep in mind that an entire CHCA season is probably about the same stage miles as one event.

Please don't think any of us are trying to scare you off, we're just trying to make you aware of what this stuff actually costs. Worst thing that can happen is to jump in with both feet only to learn that the racing isn't sustainable. Figuring out what'll work for you is the key, and overextending yourself right off the bat will ensure a fire sale on the car down the road. Take it slow, and add events to your scheudle as time/$ allows...and the most important thing...have fun doing it!!!

Dave

I don't even figure in the cost for tires as that can be hugely variable depending upon person. The vehicle expense is the same way. Tires, brakes, transmissions, turbos, engines, etc. The service life and replacement of those vary hugely between vehicle types. An Open Light and most 2WD cars can last a full event, or even full season on all of those. An Open class car can need replacement at every service (tires and brake pads) or every event. I mostly look at fixed costs. You can reduce expenses by camping, eating PBJs, etc.

(Idaho is an estimate for stage and transit mileage.)
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

Thanks for the info on Idaho. Those Max-Attack videos you guys did are fun to watch. The roads in Idaho look pretty nice (and pretty dusty). Prescott looks fun too, and like Dave said, it probably works out better scheduling wise. Plus it looks like there's a little night racing, and average temps are nicer (75 for Prescott vs 90 for Idaho). But those videos make Idaho look like so much fun. Tough choice...

We're probably below average with our budget, but at this point we're only looking at doing the local events and one major rally (if things pick up then maybe two). So the current CRC plan fits well with what we can do. But I'm not opposed to the CRC including more events, even if we won't be able to run them. It's hard to make the series small enough that it's affordable and attainable for a large number of competitors but still large enough to be fun, meaningful, and worth running. As Grant said - everyone determines their own level of commitment.
    Kevin Turner
    #513 - '83 Toyota Celica GT-S

Ibumpedmyknee,icannotcont inue Miotch's Avatar

I now say Prescott. Idaho is kind of a max attack thing. Also, are planning on asking for a discounted entry from Jens? I don't think that would work either because max attack is almost going to force a capped event.

Thanks for the graph on costs for events that puts everything into perspective for me. Of course I would need to make sure that I take the amount you have in the graph and add about $500-$1,000 to make sure I have enough money for the event. Which is why for a big event like Prescott or Seed 9 which are my 2 possible choices to run 1 of those this year. Hopefully next year I can do more events especially since PPIHC is an in town event and would be the least cost effective one to run. This year I will be spending a lot of time at CORE and I may hit up a CRC event depending on the cost of that for some extra practicing driving in an actual competition.

I knew the cost was big for Rallying especially if it's about 100% out of pocket. which is why I chose Open Light since it should be less costly than any other class.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Hopefully next year I can do more events especially since PPIHC is an in town event and would be the least cost effective one to run.
    Not sure what you meant here. PPIHC is close by, but entry fee wise its the most expensive event you can run ($1550 entry fee if you pay 6-months before the event, higher if you wait longer). IMO, the event is a bit pointless to run in a non-turbo rally car, though it has been done in the past. With almost all of it paved for 2011, I see even less incentive to run the event in a 100whp 3,000lbs car. Its certainly a great road and should be on everyone's to-do list at least once in your lifetime, but I'd bet you'd have more fun with it if you wait till your car's further down its development path.

I think you're right on track with your plans for cheap seat time out at CORE this year. Starting in AWD (even with low power) will hide mistakes better than a 2wd car would, so...if you have the $$ available, consider attending a driving school because once you reinforce bad habits its a bitch to get rid of them.

Dave