In Need of 1999 Treeline Photos!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Need of 1999 Treeline Photos!

Default In Need of 1999 Treeline Photos!

I'm trying to find any and all photos taken of my car by others at the 1999 Treeline event. I was the nutjob who brought a white Miata out and ran the car (and finished) in the P-stock class, wearing number 360. I remember flashbulbs going off in the hairpin near the end of stage 3, so I know someone took some pictures. Random shots at race HQ or the service park would suffice if no action shots can be found.

Does anyone know anyone who knows anyone who might have some pictures laying around? I'm restoring this car for the Miata's 20th anniversary (last year was the car's 20th year, this is the 20th anniversary). Anyway, this same car was the first ever Miata to ever win a race anywhere in North America. It also won a rallycross championship (P-stock 1999) and was the first (and only?) Miata to run a stage rally in the USA.

And that's why it is important to me to track down a photograph of the car in action at Treeline. I have plenty of images from the road race and rallycross events in which it appeared, but no real proof it ever rallied except the results sheet from the event.

Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

pressing on tirelessly

Looks like Bill Rogers might have some: http://www.motorsportmemories.com/ .

Thanks! I can see that he has archives of the event, but I can't tell if my car is among them. I have a dim memory of seeing him (or another such photographer) at the event and learning that he didn't happen to shoot my car. I've sent him an e-mail info request. We shall soon see! In the meantime, I'm still looking for additional leads. Someone certainly photographed it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

pressing on tirelessly

So, uh...you gotta tell the story of "Why a Miata". There're several of us here who have them and think they're awesome cars, but most of us have taken a look underneath and come away shaking our heads. "Not for rally." Ken logged on several years ago and told his side of the story, but now that you're here...

Because I already had the car--a retired showroom stock road racer--and because the new CRS Rallycross series sounded like fun and didn't require a Terratrip and a navigator. The Miata subsequently kicked *** on the dry lakes and at the Holtville rallycross and rallysprint events, so I took the next step after I clinched the 1999 P-stock rallycross championship. Treeline was an experiment that turned out quite well despite an intentional low-buck approach.

Like you, I went into it harboring doubts. The forward-mounted steering rack and the rear LCAs seemed particularly vulnerable. So I didn't invest a lot of money in things like lights (I ran stock lights with over-the-counter halogen bulbs - the event was supposed to end before dark), I retained the showroom stock mandated open diff and I used the same two-year old hand-me-down rally tires I ran through the entire Rallycross season.

So I built my own suspension, added a front skidplate of my own design -- nobody made rally parts for this car -- and installed rear mudflaps and called it good.

The car was quick in the first three stages. Seeded last, I was time-barred when an RX-7 ahead of me rolled and blocked the course on stage 1. Before I arrived at the blockage I had already passed one car and was seeking a way around another. On the downhill stage 3 my stage time was no more than 5 seconds off the P-stock winner's stage time.

So far so good. But then an EMT was late to his post and the sweep car holed an oil filter. Stages 4-6 were run in the dark, and they were all uphill. My lack of lights and the open diff caused me to fall 5 minutes off the lead. I say "me" because I essentially had no navigator through the whole event because I had hooked the borrowed Terratrip via the speedo cable drive on the transmission (another conscious low-buck decision) and the incessant wheelspin made the odo useless within the first mile. Ken was essentially along for the ride.

To me, finishing with no damage (except a rock-holed stock muffler) within 5-minutes of the class winner in my first-ever stage rally in a weird car was proof-of-concept. The short-wheelbase Miata handled beautifully and the suspension worked well over the bumps. I was able to fit a full-size spare, triangles and tools in the trunk. The rear suspension needs a bit of work (still a bit too low, slightly soft rear spring) but I could make a go of it and I have the solutions in my head.

I may try again someday, but the window of opportunity may have closed. I successfully lobbied for the convertible ban to be lifted for the Miata, citing years of SCCA Miata racing by dozens of racers with the factory hard top, but that exemption has since re-closed due to lack of interest. Maybe it could be re-addressed, maybe not.

I still feel like I have unfinished business out there. I would like to try again and do everything right this time.
    Last edited by actualsize; 01-07-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoche View Post
    So, uh...you gotta tell the story of "Why a Miata". There're several of us here who have them and think they're awesome cars, but most of us have taken a look underneath and come away shaking our heads. "Not for rally." Ken logged on several years ago and told his side of the story, but now that you're here...

Hoche,

Shake no more! Wow, I could have had a V8!

http://www.gearztv.com/projects/banshee.html
    Jeff
    Gundo Truck Sports

That event was George and my first rally ever. As I recall, the Miata was not the most unlikely car at the event. There was also a first gen MR2 and an MGB!
    Thomas Smith
    2M Racing

Something must have been in the water. Or, more likely, the beer.

your other left, you idiot

Well, it's not stage rally (pretty d*mn close), but remember that Keith Tanner (of Flyin' Miata) has a built Miata that he ran at Targa:

http://www.targamiata.com/

Also, I've seen a Miata at Tall Pines several years as a worker car, with BIG driving lights (never looked underneath to see if it had a sump shield).

I've run mine in rally cross.

press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

For the purpose of this discussion, tarmac doesn't count! No disrespect directed towards Mr. Tanner, of course.

Still nothing but crickets on the subject of action photos *sigh*, but so far I have managed to locate one that co-driver Ken took at the rally HQ parking lot before the event.