Special Stage Forums banner

Co-driver Conference Call XI, WED 12/2, 8 p.m. CENTRAL

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  shiza 
#1 · (Edited)
Co-drivers one and all,

Please join us for our eleventh free co-driver conference call.

Date: Wednesday December 2nd
Time: 6 p.m. Pacific / 7 p.m. Mountain / 8 p.m. Central / 9 p.m. Eastern

Dial in: (218) 339-4600
Code: 989102#

Please bring up topics specific to the co-driver (e.g. rules, differences in procedure, challenges, driver feedback, event feedback, general thoughts).

Proposed Agenda:

1. Past events debrief:
- Kananaskis Rally (Nov 8)
- Rally of the Tall Pines (Nov 20-21)
- Rallye de Paris (Nov 28)

2. Upcoming events:
- Seed 9 Rally (Dec 5)
- Big White Winter Rally (Dec 5)

3. Novice co-driver Q&A session. Passive listeners welcome, however novice co-drivers are actively encouraged to participate and ask questions. Please feel free to ask any questions you want, even if they seem basic

4. 2009 rally year review, highlights & lowlights

5. Date for next conference call (Wed Jan 6)

Topics we don't discuss due to time limits will be carried forward & added to next conference call's list of agenda items.

Additional co-driver related agenda items welcome. PM me or post in this thread and I'll update the proposed agenda.

Request: Please be considerate i.e. NO calls from noisy places e.g. bars, sports venues etc. as it ruins the call quality for everyone else.

If you can't make it, you can always read the meeting minutes when posted after the call. And if you have questions, feel free to submit them ahead of time, and you can read the responses in the meeting minutes too. Also, please switch fax machines on shared / party lines off.

Please help spread the word. You may learn something here. You may be able to help others learn something here. Whether you already are, or plan to be a co-driver, there's a good chance a great deal of collective wisdom (well, at least, of the rally co-driver variety) can be found here.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Co-driver Conference Call XI (12/2) Minutes

1. Past events debrief:

Rally de Paris - normally held on Camp Maxi military grounds, which is secure and makes it easy to control; but this year RdP used Downey roads instead: twice forwards, twice backwards, similar format in the afternoon but on two different roads, roads mostly gravel, lots of straights & 90 deg turns as expected for farm roads, only 8 cars but lots of positive event feedback. Link to Youtube video now available on rally de paris website, lots of 'old skool' vehicles like '62 Saab, '96 Saab, '70s bug, Vw Golf etc.

Rally of the Tall Pines - tightly, well organized event, 2-pass recce, two roads used twice. Karen finished 9th out of 53, had some light pod issues, normally ice/snow, but not this year, very fast, rough, lots of jumps, final event of CARS, so very exciting since last championship event w/ Antoine & Pat & ACP all driving to try and secure championships, 150 mph on some sections, attrition rate 50-60% which is higher than normal, lots of crests off camber, difficult to predict weather so many teams brought several different compounds of tires, very good stage notes, so some teams used those as base for 2-pass recce. CARS timecards seem different every event, so requires some advance planning / preparation

Kananaskis - no-one at event on call

2. Upcoming events:
Seed 9 - Sean Gallagher running w/ Bill Holmes, Doug Nagy says probably not going to run the one roughly stage, or the tarmac stage since BITD race in same area same weekend as well, only 37 stage miles, but since 4 p.m. start, some stages will likely be run at night

Big White Winter Rally - some difference between CARS & US events mentioned below e.g. only FIA-approved H&Ns, need to sort out licenses ahead of time etc.

3. Novice co-driver Q&A session.
No novices on call

4. 2009 Rally highlights & lowlights
Karen - winning 1st event at Rally Idaho, and also winning Max Attack with Lauchlin, running with Frank Sprongl; on the other hand, Canada hasn't been kind to her this year, car broke the stage before the stage with big jump at BdC which was one of the primary reasons for running BdC, also got poison ivy at Rally Defi.

Sean - Eric Burmeister & co did a great job organizing & promoting Max Attack, some MAax Attack events probably had a 50% higher entry level due to being Max Attack points events, looks like Max Attack will continue to be popular / become even more popular.

Brad - went to 1st national event at 100AW, so lots of fun compared to regional, 1st event with notes, so 1st day was a little difficult to adjust, but 2nd day things started to click well. Unfortunately wasn't able to make Ojibwe.

5. Date for next conference call
Wednesday, January 6h, 8 p.m. Central Time

#4 ·
I ...wondering what differences I can expect from U.S. and Canadian events.
1) They don't issue licenses/memberships at any of the events in Canada. You have to get that paperwork done before arrival.

2) You don't show your insurance paperwork, instead you sign an affidavit that you have proper insurance.

Those are two that will be handy to know. :D

Anders

#10 ·
I meant to call in but I had to get sleep sometime. I work nights so I am usually asleep during the day and up all night. I left for Canada at around 2 am. I was competing with my NASA membership so I could wear any h&n restraint that was NASA legal(I did wear a hybrid pro though, I liked it). Also I didn't need a first aid class. It was a great time. Thanks to Keith Morrison to helping me get all the rules straight before I got up there. I had Jen Daly show me how the time card worked and had no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.