ECU pin removal - 06 WRX

Thread: ECU pin removal - 06 WRX

Default ECU pin removal - 06 WRX

Does anyone have any tips for de-pinning the ECU connectors on an 06 WRX (very similar to 06/07 STi I think). I'm really close to being done with my strip/merge to my 2000RS - but I have a bunch of cruise and other misc system wiring that I want to remove properly so I don't have any shorts or other annoyances. The issues I'm having are:

-can't tell how far the slide lock should come out - it pops out a few mm easily, then stops and I don't want to break it. How far should it come out?

- Can't see into the connector to tell where the lock tab is. I think I need to insert something into the ECU side of the connect to release the lock but it's a tiny opening and I can't tell which way to push on it.

Any help appreciated - I really don't want to hack this and some of the tips on other sites are pretty hackeriffic.

-Colin

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Call Franz, he's in VA.
    Scott Wilburn
    www.monkeywrenchmotorsports.com
    It's Bananas!!!!

into right 2 tightens

There's a bunch of descriptions, pics and videos for how to do this for the Evo VIII and IX inside the links in this thread:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflas...s-how-tos.html

I don't know if the 06 WRX uses the same or similar connectors, but I though I'd post the above link in case it was useful.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Audi UrQ View Post
    There's a bunch of descriptions, pics and videos for how to do this for the Evo VIII and IX inside the links in this thread:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflas...s-how-tos.html

I don't know if the 06 WRX uses the same or similar connectors, but I though I'd post the above link in case it was useful.
    Actually, the top row of the Subaru connectors is exactly like the Evo 8 - so those are out now. The 3 rows below have absolutely tiny holes to get leverage against the lock pin, a small sewing needle or pin is too big (distorts the connector) and snaps when you try to leverage against the lock. UGH Maybe I should take the hack advice and just pull on it until it comes out Going now to visit the cool guys we all know as Radio Shack employees to see if they have a depin tool that will fit.

practice practice practice... its a pain to get the pins out... and get REALLY small screwdrivers / pick tools.

into right 2 tightens

This tool is specially designed for the purpose, and tapers down to just a smidge over 1/32":
    http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...oducts_id/1083

I saw that tool in the evo links.....I think it measures .035 - I found an allen wrench that is .035 - going to try to file it a bit flatter and see if it works. I expect it to snap before I get any leverage on the pin lock. We'll see - this is what I get for trying to do things "the right way"!

L5 Lg > 4 into Broken

If you don't care about re-insertion then another option if you can clasp the pin from the wire side is to rotate it a few times. This will usually deform the locking tab enough to get it to slip out.

At work we usually don't have pins that small, but we do alot of depinning/repinning and a proper tool will allow you to remove the pin w/o damaging it or the connector.

EDIT: After reading through the Evo Forum and seeing the videos posted, I think you'd want to mess with it a bit more, the twisting method works best on the round type sockets, not the squared ones on there. Fiddle with the release, it'll come out.

Jeremy
    Last edited by JeremyN; 11-15-2009 at 06:55 AM.