Co-driver Conference Call X, WED 10/28, 8 p.m. CENTRAL - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Co-driver Conference Call X, WED 10/28, 8 p.m. CENTRAL

into right 2 tightens

Hi Robert/Tamara,

Below is an example route book:
    http://linaracing.com/LinaRoute/Exam...Car-8.5x11.pdf

1st column: total/cumulative/overall mileage
    2nd column: incremental mileage i.e. mileage since last instruction on previous line
    3rd column: tulip diagram (see description below ***)
    4th column: written instruction of what to do / additional info for this instruction
    5th column: decrementing overall mileage i.e. how many miles left on the stage or transit, useful if you have a problem on stage, e.g. puncture or overheating, in order to determine best course of action

*** to interpret the tulip diagrams, the funny directional drawings in the third column, the dot at the bottom of the block signifies where you are / where you are coming from, and the arrow head signifies the intended direction of travel, so e.g. 1st one signifies straight on passing a side road on the right hand side, 2nd one signifies left at 4-way intersection, 3rd one signifies right at fork in road (often written as 'R @ Y' in the written instruction column) etc.

Some useful tips from Christian Edstrom, Travis Pastrana's co-driver:
    http://www.christianedstrom.com/tips.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Audi UrQ View Post
    Hi Robert/Tamara,

Below is an example route book:
    http://linaracing.com/LinaRoute/Exam...Car-8.5x11.pdf

1st column: total/cumulative/overall mileage
    2nd column: incremental mileage i.e. mileage since last instruction on previous line
    3rd column: tulip diagram (see description below ***)
    4th column: written instruction of what to do / additional info for this instruction
    5th column: decrementing overall mileage i.e. how many miles left on the stage or transit, useful if you have a problem on stage, e.g. puncture or overheating, in order to determine best course of action

*** to interpret the tulip diagrams, the funny directional drawings in the third column, the dot at the bottom of the block signifies where you are / where you are coming from, and the arrow head signifies the intended direction of travel, so e.g. 1st one signifies straight on passing a side road on the right hand side, 2nd one signifies left at 4-way intersection, 3rd one signifies right at fork in road (often written as 'R @ Y' in the written instruction column) etc.

Some useful tips from Christian Edstrom, Travis Pastrana's co-driver:
    http://www.christianedstrom.com/tips.htm
    It might not be a bad idea for them to go run a TSD rally together if they have time...to get used to using the route book and just to working together as a team in the car.
    J. Lantzy

I am not here anymore AlanPerry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Audi UrQ View Post
    6. Using paper maps & Potti/Don Barrow-style magnifiers (see: http://www.donbarrow.co.uk/magnifiers.html)
    Can be useful for route book-only rallies i.e. where recce, Jemba, organizer-supplied stage/pace etc. notes are not available; this style of navigation is not well-known or practiced in the U.S., but is fairly common in the U.K.; you need to get hold of maps ahead of time, and can cost $50-60 for a set of maps that cover all of the stages for a specific rally; maps used are geodetic survey type, and accuracy often dependent on age of map; can be difficult to determine elevation changes, but generally accurate enough to determine degree radius of corner e.g. a L3 vs. a L4, but not accurate enough for + and - modifiers; to prepare: cut maps into strips corresponding to stages, highlight route, and copy useful info from route book onto map strips; to use: need a clipboard for a stable surface, and a Potti or Don Barrow style magnifier to provide light and magnify detail on map so big enough to read easily
    I have run maps, most successfully at 2004 100AW with Dennis Martin.

I used USGS 7.5-minute quadrangle maps (the ones that most people think of when think of USGS topo maps). The rally was a route book only. I copied all of the route book instructions onto the map so that I could easily jump back into the route book if the map didn't work. I highlighted the route by drawing a solid line next to the route, always along the same side (relative to the direction of driving) so that I always has a quick left-right reference.

I found that using a map magnifier on stage made me car sick, so I stopped using it.

In my experience, at least for the 100AW roads that year, the USGS maps were far better than the route book. After the rally, I sent the 100AW organizers comparisons between their tulips and the USGS maps and aerial photos. The maps and the aerial photos were pretty close to each other, but the tulips were way off. I think that we had a good advantage going through the corners marked with tulips because we had a better idea of what the corner was really like.

On the other hand, sometimes the maps had the severity of the turn completely wrong. Because of this, it was hard for Dennis to completely trust what I was saying. In a lot of sections, we were slower than we would have been if Dennis was just reading the road.

So, it was a mixed bag overall.

At other events where I tried to use maps, the maps were not good enough that I had confidence calling them, so i gave on using them, except to study the route before running the stages.

alan

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Sorry I missed the call. My work schedule has been psychotic lately. Glad to hear there are some new participants.
    Greg Smith
    Four Rules Racing

Sorry I missed the call (again). I had a precalculus exam.
    IRNY - to sum it up, good people, good organizers, good times, horrible roads. Not sure if they can haul in enough rock and gravel to even out that ATV trail.
    Tall Pines- Husband, father, and I are headed up one way or another. I want a ride like crazy but it's pretty last minute.

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Next one is when?
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

Good question, the minutes from the last call said Jan 6th: https://www.specialstage.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=39071

into right 2 tightens

Yep, sorry for not posting up, I have been both sick and super busy at work. Unfortunately, I am currently doing consulting work until 7 p.m. PST every day at the moment, so I can't participate in the call until the project is completed.

There's nothing to stop the rest of you from continuing on with this though. I have been meaning to contact Kim to see if he's available to chair the conference call again, or perhaps someone else would like to take on the role, at least in the interim.

Hope you feel better and workload lightens up soon.
    Greg Smith
    Four Rules Racing