the future of rally colorado and the crc...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the future of rally colorado and the crc...

Sweat and anger and shame. MarkMalsom's Avatar

Default the future of rally colorado and the crc...

dunno if some of you have or haven't seen but rally co is off the national calendar:

http://www.rally-america.com/story.php?article=540

and the future of rally colorado (and thus the crc probably) seems to be in question:

http://www.rallycolorado.org/2009/10...onal-calendar/

"The RALLY COLORADO Organizing Committee is in the process of determining how, or whether, we should move forward with our event as a regional-only rally…this decision has not yet been made."

should we lose rally co the nearest other rallies (tumbleweed excluded) would be seed 9 or idaho which are about 775 miles away. add to this that the hill climbs are also becoming somewhat of a question mark.

what then, is to become of rally in colorado?
    -Mark Malsom

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Ibumpedmyknee,icannotcont inue Miotch's Avatar

I think it would make a great addition to the USRC calendar. I don't think it should effect the CRC in anyway being the CRC was regional anyway. The CRC obviously should continue to run RFCaKaRC should it still be around.

I think the USRC should pick it up for sure. The USRC needs more great events. There are already a bunch of them but Colorado will just tip the scales of National Rally Championship Greatness. Personally, the only RA events that are actually cool still are STPR, Ojibwe and a few others. I now officially think the USRC has a better calendar and better events.

With my first trip to Rally Colorado or RFKAC this year, it firmly became one of my favorites. I will do my best to make it in the future if it still exists as a regional or a USRC or any other type of event.
    Officially Awesome,

Benjamin K. Slocum Esq.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

CRC event? On ruckus? Would you come to that?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=19660559

Quote Originally Posted by Miotch View Post
    CRC event? On ruckus? Would you come to that?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=19660559
    Dillon has pit bikes, I think we'd be golden!
    Officially Awesome,

Benjamin K. Slocum Esq.

I'm not so sure I want to continue efforts to race RA in 2010 since they dropped my two favorite races (OFPR and LSPR) in the Nat series and dropped the local one (Rally Colo) too. Ugh!

Smile a plan

ok....

I think I have settled down now.

I'm very glad to hear that Chad James is at least thinking about trying for one more year. It was my perception that the Cog Rally started as regional,
    only to become a national event. The focus appeared to have emphasis in the top competitors. This showed to be true in 2007 when only 7 teams from
    Colorado showed up. In 2008, the Colorado Rally Cup sat down with the organizers of Rally Colorado to ask for the things that we needed to get the
    local competitors to run the event. Short list; more exposure for local teams, a reduced entry fee for the event, and also willing to have the crc
    as a part of the event. With the little bit of focus turned to the CRC from RC, we were able to bring 16 teams from Colorado in 2008 and 21 in 2009.
    As Chad pointed out, it costs the same for 1 car as it does for 35 cars, but the difference is the revenue generated by the extra teams competing.
    The benefit to having all these competitors is that it is easier to pitch for sponsorship not only for the competitors, but for the event itself.

Now for the challenge ahead... Now that the event will only be a regional event, we need to look at how to make it successful.
    It makes sense to cut the budget for the whole event. I believe this can be done without cutting stages or the outside
    perception that the event has shrunk.

Here is the format that i'm thinking of...
    No recce. Maybe video recce with a roof mounted camera.
    friday 5pm-9pm main street and 5th. car show, registration, tech, seed draw.
    saturday coef 3. ceremonial start at the subaru dealer. 7pm-9pm main and 5th, rally service as the show, beer garden.
    sunday coef 2. service on side of road. iron clad stages, no way weather will affect a finish at 4:30. parking lot photos, trophies over at 7pm

as a spectator or sponsor, all appears to be the same. two big main street parties and a good flow of people to the dealership.
    as competitors, a major reduction in cost, with fewer nights in a hotel, and be able to work thursday and the next monday.
    as organizers, a major reduction in cost, fewer days, almost no rentals needed, less organizing!

Work will need to be done in the Southwest Championship and the Colorado Rally cup to help with the tools needed
    to get competitors to Rally Colorado.

the crc needs
    a meaningful championship with 9 - 12 coefs total in no more then 4 weekends.

fair cost of competing. entry fee, number of nights in a hotel, cost of towing, extras like notes and food

better exposure for competitors to obtain sponsors.

rally colorado as an event for 2010.

ability to run multiple championships at one event. max attack,crc,swrc

Chad this is your sponsor plug. (if you dont believe it, they won't, and if that's the case, you might try to find a better salesmen to pitch it

Rally Colorado is the premiere event in the Colorado Rally Cup and the Southwest Rally Cup.
    this will be our 10th year running this event, in past years we have seen competitors like sb, tp, kb, ap ect...
    subaru, beer garden, hundreds of spectators, ect.......

or extreme tv watching. with just a fraction of what we spend on rally, Think of how big of a tv we can have.
    mr. best regards
    brian moody
    www.saltamotorsports.com

long live the crc
    www.coloradorallycup.org

world travel site
    www.theinfiniteroad.com

I don't think the event should be cut down at all. I think USRC with the hopes of running Max Attack there. Idaho was 48 or so cars this year. That is an impressive field. If Jens does what he plans on doing, then the USRC tour is going to be the shit for 2010. Sure, we lose Travis and Kenneth, but maybe it's time the USRC shines in the limelight for a bit. Of course, I don't think Max Attack will run both Idaho and RFKaC in the same year unless they increase their championship to 5 events (with two drop events).

Seriously, I think the USRC deserves more attention.

EDIT* Sorry Brian. I misread your post.

-Recce should be done open style like at Laughlin, Idaho or Missouri. I think Colorado should drop the Train crap anyway. If you have an MTC for recce with a 6am departure, and a 4pm arrival or something along these lines.
    -Sunday always ends up being a Co-2 anyway because of the rain.
    -I agree with only one Parc Expose'. I do enjoy them, but two nights in a row escpecially with racing in between has always been tough I thought.

-No reduction of stages. They're so fickle in conditions that we need as many open as possible.
    -With a USRC sanction, there is the chance of Bike Entries. I think with a decent plug in Denver, there is no reason why we can't have at least 10 bikes there. That's another $2k-$4K.
    -Open Media to increase interest.
    Last edited by Miotch; 10-20-2009 at 07:53 AM.

I love Colorado roads, but I feel pretty confident that RSGA wouldn't consider it for MaxAttack! It doesn't meet their primary requirement of being an equalizing event between G2 and G5. A okay driven Group 5 car will beat an amazingly driven Group 2 car at Colorado.
    I think it would be a really cool event to hold the 2010 Cup of Nations since Mexico is WRC this year. The Colorado organizers are the one group that I could imagine pulling off something of that scale! The hard part is that for Mexico the local government subsidized a ton of it with cash incentives for competitors to help get them there. But it'd be a way to get top names from Canada, USA, Mexico, and who knows where else. New Zealand, Australia, UK, Finland. Of course, a regional event would be run after the Cup of Nations teams.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

Captain Slow

sounds like a good marketing opportunity for Steamboat in trying to attract those wealthy international travelers, who may also happen to be rally fans since they don't live in the US. Bet the resort hasn't traveled down the rally path for marketing potential.....

and with regard to Mitch's comment "-With a USRC sanction, there is the chance of Bike Entries. I think with a decent plug in Denver, there is no reason why we can't have at least 10 bikes there. That's another $2k-$4K."

I entirely agree with you there, as my other hobbies include enduro riding, this state has a rather high population of semi-pro/pro enduro riders who would love to have a huge local event.
    Last edited by Z46; 10-20-2009 at 09:48 AM.
    Ryan McLaughlin
    #460 '98 Acura ITR
    http://www.rally460.com