Special Stage Forums banner

Sewing stuff on Race Suits

17K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  dtmracerx 
#1 ·
So, what exactly are the rules and or procedures on such an activity? I was talking to Mark Fox, and he had said that, at least FIA related, you have to give someone $10k to custom make you a suit, you can't just sew on the stuff you want to make it look better.
Is there a rule in the US on any of this? Can any type of thread be used?

I don't just mean for sewing on patches, but like larger sections of cloth; flame resistant stuff.

#2 ·
For sponsor patches, use an unwaxed cotton thread. Bigger stuff like adding big patches of FR material constitutes modifying the suit and then voids any certification and/or warranties. For suit repairs like seam rips or busted zippers, the suit manufacturer can usually repair these. If you are trying to repair a suit that has been damaged in a fire or something, you will need to send it to the manufacturer to see if it is repairable.

Howard Bennett
HANS Performance

#5 ·
FWIW, the FIA tech inspectors at Corona Rally Mexico didn't have a problem with the embroidery on my suit (just my name, cotton thread, ~1" letters, through all the layers, located on the chest) or my Maple Leaf Rally Club patch (on the arm, made of I-don't-know-what material, sewed on through one layer with cotton thread)... though I don't know whether it's because they just didn't notice, since they were too busy dinging all the teams for out-of-date gloves.

#6 ·
I don't own a suit yet but i'm a fire fighter so we go into fire quite a bit. we are able to use a certain thread (i will get the name) and able to sew through the outer layer but not into the vapor barrier. once the "patch" (that is made out of kevlar or nomex) it can not come off without being covered by something larger then the original patch.

Hopes this helps a bit.

#7 ·
So, what exactly are the rules and or procedures on such an activity? I was talking to Mark Fox, and he had said that, at least FIA related, you have to give someone $10k to custom make you a suit, you can't just sew on the stuff you want to make it look better.
Not exactly.....

FIA 8856-2000 Appendix 1: INFORMATION AND REQUIREMENTS FOR USERS

Embroidery sewn directly onto the overall shall be stitched onto the outermost layer only, for better heat insulation.
Backing material of badges shall be flameproof and in conformity with the standard ISO 15025 in order to avoid combustion of the badge which would affect the efficiency of the overalls.
Thread used for affixing the badge to the overalls shall be flameproof and in conformity with the standard ISO 15025.
It is also recommended that embroidery thread on badges or on the outermost layer of the garment be flameproof and in conformity with the standard ISO 15025.
When affixing badges and signs to the overalls, heat-bonding shall not be used and the garment shall not be cut.
NB: any embroidery not complying with these conditions will result in the cancellation of the homologation of the overalls concerned, and its user may be excluded by the scrutineer of the event during which the infringement was noted.

#9 ·
If you're using an FIA rated suit, then I think you are bound by the rules, due to "any embroidery not complying with these conditions will result in the cancellation of the homologation of the overalls concerned"

If you've got patches that violate the FIA rules, then your suit is no longer FIA rated.

Isn't nomex thread sufficient?

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=2131

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.