Co-driver Conference Call VIII, Tues 8/25, 8 p.m. CENTRAL - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Co-driver Conference Call VIII, Tues 8/25, 8 p.m. CENTRAL

I am not here anymore AlanPerry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Audi UrQ View Post
    - X Games 15 (Aug 2) - no significant change in event from last year to this year, local announcers on site (no television coverage), Chrissy and Jen could talk to each other while in the car, spectator question posed to rallyist: "So what do they do? Just run into each other out here?", anecdotal evidence of more spectators attending event this year, it seems that more people know about "rally" and it can lead to a conversation about real rally.
    I chimed in and indicated that I was there, but you changed topics before I could say anything. I was working the floor at X Games, directing the cars to the start line (including sending Brack to the wrong side once, luckily during a commercial break) and manning the red flag for the right side stadium entrance/exit ramp.

There was TV coverage in the stadium (that is how I knew when to be ready for the cars coming back into the stadium), but there was no TV commentary in the stadium.

One of the disadvantages of not having co-drivers was that there was no one to remind the driver to "hug the wall" after re-entering the stadium. Luckily only a couple of drivers made the mistake.

Sure, it is not rally (hint: the event is called 'Rally Car Racing' (RCR), which seems a fairly accurate description), but it definitely helps build awareness of the sport. When the rally drivers were doing autograph sessions, the lines were long. When I walked through the vendor area, the crowds stopped to watch the rally segment that aired on the TV displays there. The service area was swamped with spectators after the RCR event; it created an issue for security because RCR was the last event and there seemed to be an expectation that people would leave after that, not hang around the service area.

alan

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

- Wild West [Jerry Moon Sou'Wester/Lewis and Clark Trail Stages] (Sep 26-27) - no one on call planning to compete, but same roads as last year
    Actually, it is the Lewis and Clark Trail Stages and the Rucherts Reward Rally.

Suggestion for next time, you may want to pick a week where there isn't a major event in the calendar as I'm sure many people (myself included) were wrapping up their work week/proceeding to travel to MN and couldn't make the call.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

into right 2 tightens

Quote Originally Posted by tipo158 View Post
    I chimed in and indicated that I was there, but you changed topics before I could say anything.
    My apologies, Alan. I tried to leave a reasonable pause between each agenda item in order to allow anyone that wanted to say anything to do so. Maybe I moved on a little hastily from this point since none of the co-drivers on the call actually competed at the X Games, and I know some co-drivers aren't that thrilled with no longer being part of the X Games. I was also trying to keep the meeting moving along since we had quite a lot of items on the agenda to discuss. Anyway, thanks for the written feedback on the X Games, and sorry about not pausing long enough to allow you to provide your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by tipo158 View Post
    Actually, it is the Lewis and Clark Trail Stages and the Rucherts Reward Rally.
    Sorry, I was going off what was listed on the Rally Racing News schedule. Corrected now in both agenda & meeting minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by flatOVERcrest View Post
    Suggestion for next time, you may want to pick a week where there isn't a major event in the calendar as I'm sure many people (myself included) were wrapping up their work week/proceeding to travel to MN and couldn't make the call.
    Thanks for the feedback, Alex. Unfortunately the conference line is only available on the 2nd & 4th (& 5th when applicable) Tuesdays of the month. So we typically have the conference call on the last Tues of the month to gather feedback on events that have happened over the past month, and to discuss events coming up in the next month. Sorry you weren't able to make the conference call tonight, and hopefully you'll join us on future calls when you're available.

My apologies, Alan. I tried to leave a reasonable pause between each agenda item in order to allow anyone that wanted to say anything to do so. Maybe I moved on a little hastily from this point since none of the co-drivers on the call actually competed at the X Games, and I know some co-drivers aren't that thrilled with no longer being part of the X Games. I was also trying to keep the meeting moving along since we had quite a lot of items on the agenda to discuss. Anyway, thanks for the written feedback on the X Games, and sorry about not pausing long enough to allow you to provide your insight.
    To me, the co-driver conference call seemed like THE opportunity to discuss what was missing from X Games with no co-drivers, since I am a recently retired co-driver myself and was in the middle of the operations of the event.

For example, I would have preferred to be dealing with co-drivers than drivers when a) I had to break it to the teams that Sunday practice was being cut short (I think I would have gotten less of a vibe that I was about to be lynched) and b) trying to have cars ready to move to the start line as soon as the previous run finished.

alan

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Bump! Time for a new thread for the next one next week???
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

into right 2 tightens

yep, just been busy ... will create a new thread with agenda later this eve for Tues 9/29.

EDIT: now done.
    Last edited by Audi UrQ; 09-23-2009 at 07:35 PM.