Rally Minis - any still being run? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rally Minis - any still being run?

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hagan View Post
    Oh - another possibility: Nuno Pereira ran a Mini in the Ontario series up until around 2000 or 2001
    Green I think? - with a Clubman front end.
    Robin Fleguel

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

200 square left

Hey Warwick

I'm slowly building a 68 Mini here in Windsor. Biggest issue right now is tires -- Colway went bust a couple of years ago so there are no purpose built 10" gravel tires available at the moment. MaxSport make a hakka treaded "grasstrack" tire that a lot of the British rally guys are running, dirt cheap but shipping is killer. The available 13 and 14 inchers have too much sidewall to fit a Mini happily without jacking it up to to nosebleed elevations.

Mr Mini has gone bust recently, Ben at BMC is a good source but they're a street car and restoration place, no race parts.

Seven (Se7en?) enterprises down in Florida carries the KAD line which includes useful things like a dual master/balance-bar assembly that's a bolt up replacement for the "bean tin". They also sell alloy rear trailing arms with 1/2" shock pins (I'm hoping the rear stub axles can be pressed into the stock cast iron arms). KAD also offers a bunch of brake upgrades. APT in Cali is the place to go for engine bits and advice. MiniMania, also in Cali, acts like Mini parts are crafted out of spun gold but have, or can get, pretty much everything.

The US Minilite distributor is racer friendly, I'm chasing down coilover suspension options with Bilstein at the moment (there will be a bit of fabrication involved -- upper & lower mounts in front, turreted uppers in back).

Finished cars are still spendy, the cute factor I suppose. Projects are available inexpensively if you hang out with your local club guys -- I've been into the cars for about 15 years, they tend to come out of the woodwork and find you after people start thinking of you as a "Mini guy".

Custom Cages (out of England, but a bunch of the Scooby shops in NA carry them so you should be able to get a kit shipped over with a larger order) makes a weld-in FIA rally certified "multi-point" cage, they also have a FIA "vintage" cage for short money, but it looks pretty ropey, 6 points, single doorbars. Safety Devices shows a multipoint cage in their literature but I don't think they've recovered well from bankruptcy, I couldn't get anyone to quote me on it at any rate. I'm scratchbuilding.

Give me a ring or shoot me an e-mail if you ever want to talk Mini's. 519-818-0033, [email protected]

Cheers, Ted

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Itinerant Co-Driver

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Maybe. I only saw it a couple of times in person and it was when I first got into the sport, so I was too distracted by all the shiny cars and loud noises to remember details.

IIRC, I think he may have had two: I vaguely recall him going from a late 60s (maybe?) Mini to the newer one at some point. That might be the crack talking, though.

I don't know much about Minis but Jan Blixen has done some Rally Cross here in northern California in his very nice mini. I doubt he's looking to sell but he is a good guy that could possibly point you in the right direction.

http://www.rocksliderally.com/photo/...%3APhoto%3A162

http://www.7ent.com/images2/Mini%20Cooper.jpg

Default Nuno Pereira's Mini

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post

I'd say it was red...

(Swift Rapids)

Ok.. I'm sure it was red!

(98 Voyageurs)
    Last edited by Frank de Kat; 06-01-2009 at 06:16 PM.
    =Frank de Kat=

Historic Mini ran La Carrera Panamericana in 2007, and there should be a bunch at this year's "Mini-Fest" Targa Newfoundland.

I've been building one for... oh... the past 10 years. My plan is to have a shell that is built to Rally America/NASA specs (essentially current FIA) but that sees me switch out running gear (subframes and engine) to run VARA and HSR road courses. Sure, it'll be overbuilt and heavy for road racing, but I'll be able to turn laps and get seat time.

I'm currently get the last bits of info before I start constructing the first cage (have multiple MKI shells here for me to use). I was expecting to use all 1.5" tubing but now 1.75" is required for the main cage. I'm trying to get clarity on if 1.5" will be sufficient for a mini. I actually was going to start bending this weekend, but yet another delay.

The other dilemma I'm having is should I go ahead and build it to current reqs, meaning those 1.75" tubes and a veritable jungle-gym inside the mini, or do I just build to historic specs (read: only 6-point 1.5" cage or FIA Appendix K) and hope that RA and NASA will let me drive even though I'll likely be the only "historic" car out there in So Cal.

I know everyone says buying one already built is the cheapest option, but I've discovered I enjoy working on them more than I desire driving one and the idea that I'll be driving something I've built is more appealing than just driving.

Bill Rogers of Motorsport Memories has a race ready nice Cooper S, he has a picture of it on his site, #24, he'll tell you all about it if you buy him a beer, eer, I mean a warm pint, he's British.
    Roger
    West Coast H class Datsun 510