Removing Wiring.. Just want to be sure..
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing Wiring.. Just want to be sure..

Default Removing Wiring.. Just want to be sure..

When building a PGT Car, is there anything in the rules regarding changing/modifying the Chassis Wiring Harness? I have begun removing excess wiring (I HATE cluttered wiring harnesses with useless crap), and i'm removing wiring for things that our car didnt come with from the factory (Rear Wiper, Headlight adjusters, etc), and i'm wondering if i can remove the SRS wiring and everything else thats not used while i'm at it..

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

50 caution yump

As I understand Production (PGT) rules, it is pretty clear, if it doesn't say you can do it then you CAN'T. I am not an expert, but I really doubt that you can strip down wiring harneses and such in PGT.

Time to get a rule book!

don't cut

You cannot strip the wiring harness in PGT.

What kind of Evo and what are you doing for tires and wheels?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I am not here anymore AlanPerry's Avatar

Dunno. He raises an interesting point.

For example, he asked about SRS (airbags). The rules say that "airbags" must be removed. So, what constitutes "airbags"? Just the airbag assemblies? How about seat belt tightening igniters? How about the airbag control module? What about the crash sensors? So, why not the wiring that leads to those things?

Heymagic, its a 2004 Evo RS, and we are running Compmotive 15x6.5's for gravels, and stock evo wheels for street/tarmac currently..

And thats my point... it says you can't remove anything that the car was originally equipped with... But this car was never equipped with the wing, rear wiper, headlight adjusters, and things like that. The car is wired for all kinds of things that the RS never came with. Thats what I want to remove.

And yeah, Tipo brings up a good point... What defines "removing airbags"...

don't cut

The modification philosophy for any straight production based class is that if the rules don't explicitly say you can do it, then you simply can't do it. If the rules say you can/must remove airbags, but don't explicitly say you can remove the associated wiring, then you can't remove the associated wiring. Period.

The idea to remove excess stuff is understood. How about just taping it back on the harness to get it out of the way, Noah?

Regards,
    Mark B.

ehh, i could... But I am a look into the future kinda guy.. And the less things I have to worry about fixing WHEN (Because its not a question of IF) we have our first off, the better..

I dunno.. i just dont get it.. I mean... Its wire... Its not like its going to shave 230490 lbs off the car or anything...

Spend your time doing other prep rather than removing excess wiring.

There are plenty of other things to do, I'm sure. (Says the guy scrambling to put his car back together before TN to get a logbook).
    Eric Wages
    Dirty Rallysport / facebook.com/dirtyrallysport / youtube.com/dirtyrallysport
    K1WRX
    2014 Sponsors: Innovative Tuning | KNS Brakes | Exhale Performance | Triple Caution | RallyTools

North America Cage Builder's Map

don't cut

Quote Originally Posted by tipo158 View Post
    Dunno. He raises an interesting point.

For example, he asked about SRS (airbags). The rules say that "airbags" must be removed. So, what constitutes "airbags"? Just the airbag assemblies? How about seat belt tightening igniters? How about the airbag control module? What about the crash sensors? So, why not the wiring that leads to those things?
    Well...go to the dealership and order an airbag. You'll get an airbag, not a wiring harness, safing sensors and module. If the rule was changed to read airbags and associated systems you could maybe stretch to wiring, but I doubt it would be kosher.

The car came with a wiring harness that has airbag provisions as well as rear wiper or sun roof or whatever. The car is equipped with that harness irregardless of the actual accessories. The harness is a seperate entity and must remain intact.

Further: 2009 RA rule book , page 94, 12.a (While discussing ECUs) No alteration of the wire loom is allowed, except for the purposes of connecting a "Piggy Back" engine controller.

Seems pretty obvious the intent is to leave the harness intact. Again if it doesn't say you can then you can't.

So you found 15 inch wheels to go over Evo brakes??

But that is the Engine Harness... Not the chassis harness... Thats why i was wondering. I'm not touching the engine harness at all. Guess i'll stop for now.. Just looking for more things to do while i wait for more parts, and to hear back from scrutineers about how certain things need to be with our cage.

And we converted to JDM Lancer Brakes in the front.

EDIT: And the rules say you can't modify the "loom"... What if its electrical taped? LOL
    Last edited by nperkins; 05-11-2009 at 07:32 AM.