Which tires should I use?

Thread: Which tires should I use?

Default Which tires should I use?

I am relatively new to rallycross and cant figure out which tires to use. I run a 2000# fwd Civic in M2. In New England, we mostly have soil or some loose gravel. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chang View Post
    I am relatively new to rallycross and cant figure out which tires to use. I run a 2000# fwd Civic in M2. In New England, we mostly have soil or some loose gravel. Any help would be appreciated.

I would suggest either the S525 Mud Tire or the S505 gravel tire. The mud tire works really well in sod, but in warmer, harder pack surfaces, it can wear quicker than a standard rally tire. The S505 is a great all around tire and certainly better than a stock tire or snow tire, but in the mud, isn't quite as good as the mud tire.

Hope that helps!

Mark Tabor
    www.taborrallyteam.com

Default size?

In the S525 Mud tire, which size would you recommend? I have both 14 and 15 inch wheels. I am thinking tall, but will the width slow me down?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

In the S525 Mud tire, which size would you recommend? I have both 14 and 15 inch wheels. I am thinking tall, but will the width slow me down?
    If it were me, I'd go with 14", as ground clearance shouldn't be the issue in RX.

Mark Tabor
    www.taborrallyteam.com

Talking one thing....

One other thing to think on...
    If you are in a class that alows you to change the tire size or if you have a choice the 14 in tire is smaller around so you would have better gearing for the lower speeds of a RX.
    Todd

1965#, 160hp, Quaife. In the VTEC in first gear, 30-40mph, 2nd gear 40-60mph with standard size tires.
    We get lots of deep ruts because of the looseness of the soil. The tires spin with throttle application at will when in the VTEC.
    Looking at the outside diameter of the 14" and the 15" they look to be the same for the 150 width. Trying to learn,... why the 14 over the 15? or would they perform the same?
    Thanks.

1965#, 160hp, Quaife. In the VTEC in first gear, 30-40mph, 2nd gear 40-60mph with standard size tires.
    We get lots of deep ruts because of the looseness of the soil. The tires spin with throttle application at will when in the VTEC.
    Looking at the outside diameter of the 14" and the 15" they look to be the same for the 150 width. Trying to learn,... why the 14 over the 15? or would they perform the same?
    Thanks.
    In reality, you are correct, but the 14 also provides more sidewall size over the 15". Otherwise, it usually comes down to a choice between which wheels you have more of.

Mark Tabor
    www.taborrallyteam.com

100 oversquare right

Default S505 is great

I've been doing rally cross (and full stage) on the S505 and its a great tire.

great grip , predictable when it looses grip and recovers, super durable. even at our roughest venue here in cali (Valejo) which is really just mildly broken up black top and we call it "gravel" the tires don't break down much at all. where as most of the guys on snow tires end up with chewed tires after a day or two. that site ruts up really bad so i prefer to have more side wall (i race on 13's )

If you get many mud / rain days though the mud tire would be super appealing
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....