The Team O'Neil Rally School Experience - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Team O'Neil Rally School Experience

Quote Originally Posted by brianallmotor View Post
    ... and if ya like the roads hopefully you can make it back up there for the winter rally!!!
    Jim has already competed in the 2008 Team O'Neil Rally.
    Doug Woods

Two classes only: AWD and 2WD

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter #724 View Post
    ... the beds at the Hampton Inn are unbelievably comfortable
    Jim:

I agree 100%. If you consider location, cost, amenities, breakfast, etc., it is one of the best "rally hotels" that I have visited.
    Doug Woods

Two classes only: AWD and 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wintle View Post
    You have to drive over Gorham Notch at night... I think our count was 14, incuding one in the road.

Adrian
    That's a good place. Rt 3 between Whitefield and Lancaster is good as well, especially in the marsh area right by the High School. I remember sitting in calc class and seeing them come out and graze on school lawn. In 1983, my best friend and I were riding our motorcycles on that stretch, just turned the corner by the Dun Roamin Inn to find a bull and cow moose in the road. No room to stop, I went between on my RZ, my buddy ducked down on his GPz and went under the belly of the bull. 300' later he pulled off and ran into the woods, came back out without underwear.

That's my best moose story

Good eats at the Double SS in Lancaster if you get in the mood for Asian food, or at least it was the last time I was up there visiting my mom, but it might have sold since then.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Well we made it to Littleton, NH... Got in about 5:30p. That's just over 12 hours with stops, and NYC bullsh!t traffic.....
    Thanks for the thread I love your posts

You might want to try I91 to I84 to I81 to the tpike or I80 on the way back. Then you don't have to screw with NYC and that crappy excuse for an interstate that is I78. It's only about 15 more miles this way. No tolls either. It's hilly but better than the hills on I78 plus NYC crapola.

http://tinyurl.com/djoyld
    Last edited by RallyTaco; 04-28-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Default DAY 1 -

OK, who built all of these front wheel drive cars and why did O'Neils buy them???

Front Wheel Drive !!! I felt like I was driving in England - completely foreign, backwards, confusing and FUN!

So it's completely different from my old skool RWD fun car.... How is it possible to control the car through a turn while keeping the accelerator down and using the brakes? What do you mean don't lift?

This was an awesome day. The first day started with an awesome sunrise and even better weather. We headed up to the O'Neil camp at 8:30am.... And class started promptly at 9:00am. This is a full class of 12 people, all from different backgrounds, different experiences and two are from a different country! The impressive part is that amlost everyone in the class is here to learn, to do something new and exciting, to become a better competitor and to have fun. OH !! the only other MR2 guy rallying in the US is here from Colorado! Jeremy the MR2 guy... Albeit he drives a fancy Gen II car, but he's still ok with me.... it's an MR2 man.... what could be better!

Classes started with the necessary paperwork and then it was into goals for the class and basic information.... understeer - oversteer - countersteer - big guernsey steer (the last one isn't real).

We met the instructors (Wyatt, Chris, Alan, Eric, Mike and Forrest) then we were off to the skid pad. They were going to teach us how to keep an even throttle, set the steering and then use left foot braking to get the car to turn in.... Totally crazy these new fangled front wheel drive cars..... It looked like a NASCAR training day... Everyone making left turns and going in circles.... Daytona in New Hampshire.... vroom....

After we all survived this, we took a break and they set up the slalom course... we then spent time sliding through right turns... yes, we make right turns....... Up the hill, down the hill, some good runs, some not so good... there is nothing more frustrating than making 4 or 5 really smooth turns... wait for the course to clear and then go and make 4 -5 turns like you've never been behind the wheel of a car ever.... ok, maybe not that bad, but definatley that frustrating.

All the time the instructors are giving you positive feedback, teaching you how to "feel" what's right and what isn't. They are having fun and making sure you are having fun while learning quality car control in a safe wide open space where if you get "outside" you hit a cone.... not a tree... We finished off the day with accident avoidance exercises... that was harrowing.... very educational yet un-nerving at moments...

It was an awesome day.... as they state in the literature... there is plenty of seat time!!! It's great to not spend the day in the classroom learning theory and physics but actually feeling it through the pedals and the wheel...

I can't wait for tomorrow... to see what we're up to next!

9:00am is the MTC up at the school... Let's see what tomorrow will bring....
    WASHPA Racing - #724
    Living The Dream, One Race At A Time
    www.WASHPA-Racing.com

2008 Rally America Eastern Regional
    Rookie of the Year
    2WD Champion
    G2 Champion

Sponsored by:
    Hitchcock Insurance Agency
    visit their website

eating dust taking photos KevinG5Hahn's Avatar

OK, who built all of these front wheel drive cars and why did O'Neils buy them???

Front Wheel Drive !!! I felt like I was driving in England - completely foreign, backwards, confusing and FUN!

So it's completely different from my old skool RWD fun car.... How is it possible to control the car through a turn while keeping the accelerator down and using the brakes? What do you mean don't lift?

This was an awesome day. The first day started with an awesome sunrise and even better weather. We headed up to the O'Neil camp at 8:30am.... And class started promptly at 9:00am. This is a full class of 12 people, all from different backgrounds, different experiences and two are from a different country! The impressive part is that amlost everyone in the class is here to learn, to do something new and exciting, to become a better competitor and to have fun. OH !! the only other MR2 guy rallying in the US is here from Colorado! Jeremy the MR2 guy... Albeit he drives a fancy Gen II car, but he's still ok with me.... it's an MR2 man.... what could be better!

Classes started with the necessary paperwork and then it was into goals for the class and basic information.... understeer - oversteer - countersteer - big guernsey steer (the last one isn't real).

We met the instructors (Wyatt, Chris, Alan, Eric, Mike and Forrest) then we were off to the skid pad. They were going to teach us how to keep an even throttle, set the steering and then use left foot braking to get the car to turn in.... Totally crazy these new fangled front wheel drive cars..... It looked like a NASCAR training day... Everyone making left turns and going in circles.... Daytona in New Hampshire.... vroom....

After we all survived this, we took a break and they set up the slalom course... we then spent time sliding through right turns... yes, we make right turns....... Up the hill, down the hill, some good runs, some not so good... there is nothing more frustrating than making 4 or 5 really smooth turns... wait for the course to clear and then go and make 4 -5 turns like you've never been behind the wheel of a car ever.... ok, maybe not that bad, but definatley that frustrating.

All the time the instructors are giving you positive feedback, teaching you how to "feel" what's right and what isn't. They are having fun and making sure you are having fun while learning quality car control in a safe wide open space where if you get "outside" you hit a cone.... not a tree... We finished off the day with accident avoidance exercises... that was harrowing.... very educational yet un-nerving at moments...

It was an awesome day.... as they state in the literature... there is plenty of seat time!!! It's great to not spend the day in the classroom learning theory and physics but actually feeling it through the pedals and the wheel...

I can't wait for tomorrow... to see what we're up to next!

9:00am is the MTC up at the school... Let's see what tomorrow will bring....

Please inform Mr. Brown of the need to be present at the Temple Canyon Hill Climb (ie FUN!). I might just buy him a tasty fizzy adult beverage for Saturday night if he makes it...
    Last edited by KevinG5Hahn; 04-28-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    Kevin Hahn
    KevinHahnPhotography.com
    "altitude just means not lifting..."

I felt like I was driving in England - completely foreign, backwards, confusing and FUN!

So it's completely different from my old skool RWD fun car...

finished off the day with accident avoidance exercises...

Let's see what tomorrow will bring....
    lets hope they put you in a RWD car tomorrow, or you forcefully choose to be put in a RWD... plenty of trees at the school to practice on!!!

all in good humour. great reports thus far.

what car were you out in today? stock gearbox and engine? quick steering or stock??? more info on the car you drove please.

find out if you can about the car(s) you partake and their setup. even simple things like street tires, all season tires, gravel tires, ect...

ps- got the mazda decal ready here to go on the new front end of the Tiny Red Beast. you want it on the headliner or skid plate?? we were thinking about the underside of the wing but were not sure... your call Jim... how about the firewall maybe??

As a LONG, LONG time Datsun Z guy (In real life, as well as SS Forums! LOL)... RALLY ON REAR WHEEL DRIVE!!!! GO JIM and all you other kindred spirits! Yes, I know we get our butts kicked by all the FWD and AWD cars, but just watch Hurst, Kosmides, McClelland, Haley, Rathgeber, the Barton's, and others I am forgetting.... and you'll understand (Aside: Brian, what model 323 are you guys? RWD, like the original GLC?) YIKES!!! I forgot Greg Healey!!!! and a few of the other Z & 510 drivers... Sorry.

OH !! the only other MR2 guy rallying in the US is here from Colorado! Jeremy the MR2 guy... Albeit he drives a fancy Gen II car, but he's still ok with me.... it's an MR2 man.... what could be better!

Now, Jim, as a part time AgScience teacher, I can assure you that "big guernsey steer" DO EXIST! Don't even get me started on the Chianina breed (not a typical dairy breed, mostly "beefers")... 5,000 pound bulls and 4,000 pound cows!!! The largest on record was over 5k pounds and 6'8" at its withers (backline)!!!

As an aside, will you folks stop talking about moose, please. I don't want to know what I am almost hitting as a I drive through the night to get to NEFR!

Great articles, Jim!
    Last edited by DatsunZguy; 04-29-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.

Well....... We are up and ready to head down for breakfast and then up to the secret training facility hidden in the beautiful White Mountains... Yesterday they gave us the secret password that parts the trees to gain access.... "Opensesame" or something like that... I hope Darlene remembers what it is...

It's 8:00am - Class is at 9:00a

Gotta fly....

More photos (on facebook) and posting (both places) tonight!!!!
    WASHPA Racing - #724
    Living The Dream, One Race At A Time
    www.WASHPA-Racing.com

2008 Rally America Eastern Regional
    Rookie of the Year
    2WD Champion
    G2 Champion

Sponsored by:
    Hitchcock Insurance Agency
    visit their website

That's some serious fun you guys are up to right about now!