Anyone wonder why T45 is better?

Thread: Anyone wonder why T45 is better?

Default Anyone wonder why T45 is better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

The Scorpion King John Sundelin's Avatar

I think M-Sport quit using T45 for WRC cages in 2002, and started using 15CDV6. Either way, the cage really did its job. The picture of Rene Kuipers Focus isn't quite so impressive though.

--
    John

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Ah, my bad. Sorry for the double post. Mods, can you merge?

Quote Originally Posted by John Sundelin View Post
    I think M-Sport quit using T45 for WRC cages in 2002, and started using 15CDV6. Either way, the cage really did its job. The picture of Rene Kuipers Focus isn't quite so impressive though.
    Sounds likely...plus it's not just the material even as much as the professional design of their cages. I've never seen one in person but what I see of the Focus cages on TV I can't figure them out. What bars go where and which are continuous.
    Gabriel Johnston
    website- www.rallybimmer.com

Quote Originally Posted by JC Bourgeois View Post
    I didn't realize you had become a metalurgist. T45 is used because it is LIGHTER than DOM or CDS. While T45 is twice as strong as DOM/CDS IN THE SAME THICKNESS, tubes made for rollcages are made much thinner so as to be EQUAL in strength to DOM/CDS. IT IS NOT A SAFETY THING. Don't propagate such bullshit when you're still wet behind the ears. Some internet subaru fanboy like yourself might believe it.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by AWDRIFT View Post
    I didn't realize you had become a metalurgist. T45 is used because it is LIGHTER than DOM or CDS. While T45 is twice as strong as DOM/CDS IN THE SAME THICKNESS, tubes made for rollcages are made much thinner so as to be EQUAL in strength to DOM/CDS. IT IS NOT A SAFETY THING. Don't propagate such bullshit when you're still wet behind the ears. Some internet subaru fanboy like yourself might believe it.
    Why do you have to be like that? If I have said something incorrect then feel free to correct me but no need to be a jackass about it. Yes, I am wet behind the ears admittedly and am definitely on the steep part of the learning curve but is this how to attract more people to the sport?

PS Mods - Clearly this thread is going nowhere fast so please delete.
    Last edited by JC Bourgeois; 04-11-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Too wet behind the ears to speak aloud.

T45 is not lighter, only stronger. The reduced weight comes from using thinner walled tube that has the same strength as the thicker walled tube of weaker material.

While I'm not versed as well in cage design, I do know a thing or two about modes of failure. Of the failed cages I've seen, it appears that most of them had failed due to buckling more than any other mode of failure. Since material strength doesn't affect a buckling failure, only stiffness, the two materials are essentially interchangable for identical cages.

This makes me wonder why they even care what material you use as long as they're specifying steel with minimum diameters and wall thicknesses. Either way, off to the car construction forum...